OT: Meetup?

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
My buddy has one and there is something about it I just don’t love. Hard to pin point exactly why. It’s almost like it’s too easy to use.

That is why I use the off set. Get to spend the day monitoring temperature and making adjustments. Kids and wife leave me alone with my smoker and beer!

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
That is why I use the off set. Get to spend the day monitoring temperature and making adjustments. Kids and wife leave me alone with my smoker and beer!

I use a Weber kettle for all my smoking still. Love using it. Snake method and I can fit either 5 racks of ribs, around 15lbs of pulled pork(two pork shoulders), or a full brisket point and flat. That's usually plenty for when I smoke something. If I really need to do a lot, I have a vertical that I can use to cover all that.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

I didn’t know that was an option.

I like making adjustments but my buddy just sets it and forgets it. I’d rather be more hands on.

Reactions: Roman Fell

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Anyone have any good ideas/recipes for grilling vegetable? Or anything not meat.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
I usually do corn on the cob on the grill it is pretty easy. Remove all the silk but not the husk. Soak in salt water (weak mix, couple of table spoons per gallon) for at least 30 minutes. Put on grill over direct heat for 5 mins per side, takes about 20 minutes. I do it on a Weber, but don’t have a gas grill so I don’t know if you would do it differently on that.

I also do a smoked 4 cheese Mac and Cheese and smoked bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers

Reactions: ChiHawks10 and RayP

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yeah that’s always a good one.

Just want something different. Seems I grill the same stuff every time vegetable wise.

Maybe make some veggie kabobs or something.

I make a kind of popper.

Core jalapenos, about 15-20. Slice them in half. Mix cream cheese + creole seasoning + garlic powder together. Spread some of the cream cheese on the jalapeno pepper "boats" you make. Add an all beef cocktail sausage(called Lil' Smokies here in Chicago) on top of the cream cheese. Wrap it in a slice of bacon, and stick a toothpick through it to hold it all together. Then I grill them on a pan on a charcoal grill for about 20 minutes or so.

I also do grilled asparagus right on the grill grate.
Trim asparagus. Put them in a 1 gallon freezer bag. Season with garlic powder, lemon juice, salt, pepper, parmesan cheese, and olive oil. Shake in the bag to coat them. Pour directly over very hot charcoal coals. Roll/Turn them once. Usually about 10 minutes total is good. Keep an eye that you don't burn them, though.

Reactions: hawksrule and RayP

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
I’m down at whichever of the games I make it to this year. Being a fan in Columbus means only a handful.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Yeah that’s always a good one.

Just want something different. Seems I grill the same stuff every time vegetable wise.

Maybe make some veggie kabobs or something.

I love grilling red and yellow peppers, asparagus, zucchini, and of course onions. Although I think making them into kabobs is far too much effort.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiHawks10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad