News Article: Meet NYC's Secret Sports Star: Islanders' John Tavares

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/h...star-islanders-john-tavares-article-1.1966962

....Tucked harmlessly away in Nassau County, John Tavares is still a well-kept secret in these parts. As the star of the Islanders, he’s been the primary draw at Nassau Coliseum night after night. He’s the team’s captain, he’s an Olympian and he’s a top-10 player in his sport. And in addition to being perhaps the most talented athlete in this city, the 24-year-old could not sound more Jeterian if he tried.....

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The Islanders will need to make a lot of noise in the playoffs for him to become the face of hockey in New York.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
Read this earlier - love the notion that an islander could be the "star of New York" I don't think the islanders yet alone hockey would be popular enough for this to happen, but it's a nice idea. We win a cup in the next three years that could all change however

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Read this earlier - love the notion that an islander could be the "star of New York" I don't think the islanders yet alone hockey would be popular enough for this to happen, but it's a nice idea. We win a cup in the next three years that could all change however

Hank is getting older and McD is a defenseman...

Tavares is a young star center who is the captain and has the character and drive that adores him with fans...

I have been saying this since we found out we were moving to Brooklyn..He will be the face of Hockey in New York and the King of the city...

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Hank is getting older and McD is a defenseman...

Tavares is a young star center who is the captain and has the character and drive that adores him with fans...

I have been saying this since we found out we were moving to Brooklyn..He will be the face of Hockey in New York and the King of the city...

To be fair, McD has great character and is the captain. But, yes, definitely more love to the offensive players.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
To be fair, McD has great character and is the captain. But, yes, definitely more love to the offensive players.

I love McD and think hes on his way if not already there to being one of the top 5 defenseman in the league....

I just think the offensive stars get more of the love and are usually front and center...

RWWallpaper

Mar 9, 2006
...not one GM in the league, if given the chance, would take McD over Tavares...both are great players but JT most certainly gets the nod.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I actually think that McDonagh's quote in the article is the most accurate quote on Tavares I've seen to date:

“His hockey sense is incredible,” Rangers captain Ryan McDonagh said. “He’s able to make those high-percentage plays that most players are just trying to make out there. It might not always be flashy, but he’s so consistent in making high-percentage plays that he’s very effective. Sometimes you don’t think he’s doing much out there but he’s helping his team win in so many different areas.”

I think this is the main reason why fans of other teams give us some push back when we talk about Tavares so hard. While they point to awards and accolades, or points per game and season, they fail to realize the subtle things that Tavares does that are almost too intelligent to be noticed. It's almost like a goalie who is always in position and hardly moves, so to the layman it looks as if the shots are bad and the puck is just luckily hitting him.

Kid is a stud.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad