News Article: Medical breakthrough -talk of testing active NHLers for CTE (concussion related)

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.tsn.ca/talent/medical-breakthrough-prompts-talk-of-testing-active-nhlers-for-cte-1.210725

A long but good article about a test that could be done on living athletes to diagnose CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy, associated with concussions/head injuries, rather than in autopsy’s, which is how it's currently diagnosed. IT goes into detail on what test is and how it’s done and what it could illustrate for professional athletes still playing. The article has stats and quotes from NHLers and NFLers concerning the horrid aftermath of concussion. The article says that 2 boxing and 4 marital arts organizations are also interested.

One NHL player said he wasn’t sure if a player would want to know the results of the test, like living with a time bomb. Also, as Matthew Barnaby points out, some players are afraid of admitting to the concussion after effects, as it will hinder their careers. He said he played in an NHL game even and even fought , when from the concussion, he had no vision in his left eye. Ian Laperrière got hit in the face by a puck off a slap shot in the 2010 playoffs and came back for the finals to play , even tho he was suffering from concussion symptoms.

Dr. Julian Bailes, one of the lead researchers of a new UCLA study, who claims to have diagnosed CTE in living subjects, told TSN in an interview that the NHL and other pro sports leagues can't "run from the science" and should begin discussions about how to conduct baseline testing of CTE in active players.

Bailes says he is days away from publishing a study of 20 subjects - including former Dallas Cowboys star running back Tony Dorsett, one-time Buffalo Bills player Joe DeLamielleure, and former New York Giants lineman Leonard Marshall - that establishes that CTE can be diagnosed successfully in living patients.

ON the NHL’s changes and the use of the quiet room:
Even that system has its flaws.
During the 2014 playoffs, Montreal Canadien Dale Weise was ruled out of a playoff game against Boston, two days after he was the victim of a vicious and illegal check to the head. He staggered and was clearly dazed, but was allowed to return to the game after a few minutes in the quiet room.

The players are bigger and stronger every year and the shoulders pads they wear are like armor. It’s a contact sport and that won’t change. To see a young guy like Jeff Skinner, already affected as he’s had 3 since he came into the NHL, is alarming. He’s only 22 and has a lot of years left to live, and at some point, will have to weigh the options of how risky it is.

fyrescorp

Apr 19, 2006
Very interesting. Thanks for that. There are also numerous documentaries that cover CTE and other brain issues. One in particular is "NFL-League in denial" or something like that. it really changed my thoughts on fighting in hockey and the "Big Hit" in football. One things sure, with so much to do nowadays my grandson will not be playing football.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Very interesting. Thanks for that. There are also numerous documentaries that cover CTE and other brain issues. One in particular is "NFL-League in denial" or something like that. it really changed my thoughts on fighting in hockey and the "Big Hit" in football. One things sure, with so much to do nowadays my grandson will not be playing football.

Exactly.

Anyone who knows about the seriousness of CTE and concussions and still wants to see fighting in the NHL or punishing helmet to helmet hits in the NFL is either a moron, has no heart or both.

Sad and pathetic to hear fans talking about the NFL being ruined or going soft because the league banned those types of hits. The Roman Coliseum sect of fans in the NHL will cry the same way when fighting is removed, but it will save lives and that's what ultimately matters most.

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
If anything is becoming too soft in the NHL it's the department of player safety. 2-3 game suspensions don't teach players anything, neither does fighting. Take fighting out and start kicking players like Garbutt and Rinaldo out of the league if they really want to decrease concussions. Another thing that's funny is how John Scott, Ryan Reaves, and other skill-less losers make so much money. I wonder what happens if they lose their jobs; will they be flipping burgers or cutting my lawn?

fyrescorp

Apr 19, 2006
If anything is becoming too soft in the NHL it's the department of player safety. 2-3 game suspensions don't teach players anything, neither does fighting. Take fighting out and start kicking players like Garbutt and Rinaldo out of the league if they really want to decrease concussions. Another thing that's funny is how John Scott, Ryan Reaves, and other skill-less losers make so much money. I wonder what happens if they lose their jobs; will they be flipping burgers or cutting my lawn?

Chances are they will be a subject in one of these studies.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

They have their hands tied. And it's by both the players and the owners. Players don't want to be subject to real suspensions. So they make it to where they can't fine them real amounts of money and any suspension of any real length goes to an appeal.
And the owners don't want the bad hit and fighting out of the game. Because there is a very vocal minority that want it. But watch how the fans react to them while in the arena. They go nutty with joy. So they think all fans want it by how they react. And that taking it away would lead to loss of money.
So I don't really blame player safety.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
They have their hands tied. And it's by both the players and the owners. Players don't want to be subject to real suspensions. So they make it to where they can't fine them real amounts of money and any suspension of any real length goes to an appeal.
And the owners don't want the bad hit and fighting out of the game. Because there is a very vocal minority that want it. But watch how the fans react to them while in the arena. They go nutty with joy. So they think all fans want it by how they react. And that taking it away would lead to loss of money.
So I don't really blame player safety.

This is why part of me doesn't feel sorry for any of these stupid players.

Players tell their union to reduce the suspension length for hits that cause significant life altering injuries and then are polled and say they approve of fighting in the game.

Then ofcourse when their careers are over and they have all these concussion issues they suddenly want to file lawsuits. I will give a pass to everyone who retired before about a decade ago because not as much was known about concussions, but screw any of these current players who have been told the significance of concussions and still refuse to go along with changing the game, they are literally taking years off their own lives.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Get rid of guranteed contracts, and players like Crosby/Kane/Toews/Benn/Malkin ETC.

Will want fighting/bad hits out of the NHL as fast as possible. They will crucify players like Scott/Torres etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad