HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fluto wonders who is really running the team

FLUTO SHINZAWA
Coach decision tops priority list for new Bruins GM Don Sweeney

1. Determine Claude Julien’s future

Julien’s new contract becomes active in 2015-16. He will be one of the highest-paid coaches in the league. Last month, CEO Charlie Jacobs and president Cam Neely said the next GM will make the decision on Julien. If it’s truly Sweeney’s call, Julien could stay. If it’s Neely’s decision, Julien is out.

FLUTO SHINZAWA | ON HOCKEY
Don Sweeney seeks improvements in personnel and philosophy

It will be Sweeney’s duty to unearth more breathing room to pay for Hamilton’s mammoth raise and land players to round out the roster. It won’t be easy. As every outside candidate noted, the Bruins’ tightness against the cap is well known. Sweeney will have to make a hard call, whether it’s trading Lucic, Loui Eriksson, or Dennis Seidenberg with cap relief in mind.

“There’s a difference between cap compliance and cap management,†Sweeney said. “We need to make sure we’re very cognizant of the latter rather than the former.â€

BRUINS NOTEBOOK
Bruins’ salary cap an issue with candidates

HERALD New GM Don Sweeney: Claude Julien is coach of Bruins 'as of today'

When asked whether Julien would be the coach, Sweeney said he plans to sit down with him to talk about their mutual philosophies, as well as changes that need to be made. "He's the coach of the Boston Bruins, as of today," Sweeney said.

Sweeney said he talked to Julien while being considered as GM and now would like to do so after being named to the job. He talked of possible personnel and staff member changes.

"It will start with Claude," Sweeney said. "We'll dissect the personnel pieces he feels will work and what he's had success with, as well as what we currently have and we'll go from there."

HERALD New Bruins GM Don Sweeney has pressing to-do list on tap

Make a very difficult decision regarding Milan Lucic

The Bruins winger enters the final season of his three-year contract, earning $6.5 million in ’15-16, and is headed toward UFA next summer. Assuming he has a reasonably good year – say, 25 goals and 60 points – it’s quite possible some NHL team will offer the then-28-year-old a long-term deal paying $7 million-plus per year.

The Bruins may not be willing, or able, to take on that kind of contract. So do they keep Lucic through next season and then let him walk away? Do they wait and trade him at the deadline next March? Or maybe trade him this off-season, adding one or more valuable pieces now and clearing badly-needed cap space?

It’s a tough call, especially for a neophyte GM.

Felger & Mazz write out Sweeney’s to-do list

Felger's to-do list

1) Fire Claude Julien
2) Call Peter Chiarelli and inquire about Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle
3) Make a decision on Milan Lucic

Mazz's to-do list

1) Make a decision on Claude Julien
2) Find a first line right wing
3) Gauge interest in Rask, Chara and Seidenberg

WEEI - CLAUDE JULIEN’S FATE WITH BRUINS STILL UNDECIDED

Speaking after the press conference, B’€™s president Cam Neely spoke highly of Julien and downplayed the belief that he has wanted to fire Julien at multiple points during his time as team president.

“Let me be clear. I think we have a good coach,†Neely said. “I know it’€™s been reported that we have a problem with our coach. I think over the years I would have liked to see some adjustments, but it wasn’€™t about [seeing] certain coaches available. For me, it was about making sure we were making the right decision with our GM first and then we’€™ll go from there.

Asked whether he felt Julien could change with the organization as it tweaks its approach to winning, Neely was noncommittal.

“He’€™s another smart hockey guy. He knows the game extremely well,†Neely said. “He’€™s had a lot of success. This is where Don is going to make those decisions with Claude as far as the adjustments that he thinks we need to make.

“This comment that I made in 2010 about [how] e can’€™t win games, 0-0, keeps getting played. Claude and I flushed that out in 2010. It’€™s 2015 now.â€

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Sweeney would be smart to let Claude go to another team and have them pay his salary.
Julien's days are numbered. If Cam don't like him, get rid of him.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Mazz'a going for rebuild.

but those comments make me feel that we are going to overpay with Hamilton.

And selling again talent for cap room(for cheap bottom6 players) won't make us better, but Lucic for high prospect absolutely.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
gauge interest in Rask? lol

What is he honestly thinking :laugh: :help:

He watches that press conference and comes out of thinking that Rask needs to be traded when they want to fight soon and be in the playoffs next year. :laugh:

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
The more I listen to Felger and read what he has to say, the more of a moron I beieve he is. He's the loud kid that always wants to talk over everyone else cos he likes the sound of his voice. I'd love to ask him if they sack Claude who does he want to come in and coach? The Cookie Monster?

I guess the way they will look at it is who is a luxury on this Bruins roster that they'd love to have but can't hang on to if they're realistically going after players, to me the 'luxury list' consists of

Milan Lucic
Loui Eriksson

The difference between the 2 is one makes nearly 2million more than the other. To me, if they're doing it for cap space then Looch will be the one to go, or they deal both which would be bad for us. I also don't believe Lucic is $2million better than Loui Eriksson.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
The more I listen to Felger and read what he has to say, the more of a moron I beieve he is. He's the loud kid that always wants to talk over everyone else cos he likes the sound of his voice. I'd love to ask him if they sack Claude who does he want to come in and coach? The Cookie Monster?

I guess the way they will look at it is who is a luxury on this Bruins roster that they'd love to have but can't hang on to if they're realistically going after players, to me the 'luxury list' consists of

Milan Lucic
Loui Eriksson

The difference between the 2 is one makes nearly 2million more than the other. To me, if they're doing it for cap space then Looch will be the one to go, or they deal both which would be bad for us. I also don't believe Lucic is $2million better than Loui Eriksson.

Agreed

KillerBs77

Jan 16, 2015
Ontario
1. Fire Julien
2. Sign Dougie
3. inquire about Eberle/Hall
4. make decision on Lucic.
5. trade one of Chara or Seidenberg

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick

Milan Lucic
Loui Eriksson

I'd take the cookie monster behind the bench. I'd even pay extra to hear him mic'd up during games, and even more for the post game presser.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Mazz'a going for rebuild.

but those comments make me feel that we are going to overpay with Hamilton.

And selling again talent for cap room(for cheap bottom6 players) won't make us better, but Lucic for high prospect absolutely.

To quote that dope, "Don't take the cheese." The job description is spewing stupid, uniformed hyperbole. Gauging minterest in Rask, etc. I listened for ten minutes & changed the station. And to think, they blessed us with an entire hour to discuss a major move for the Bruins before returning to deflate gate garbage.

Eff you, losers.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I don't have tons of faith in Julien but I'm hard pressed to see an available coach who is better. Keep him on a short leash and don't give him washed up veteran binkies.

I do think the team has some hard decisions to make with regard to the cap.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Why anybody puts any credence into what Felger and Mazz have to say about hockey is beyond me. That's why I have the NHL radio channel on my car. At least the hosts are former NHL players or respected hockey analysts or announcers.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I'd take the cookie monster behind the bench. I'd even pay extra to hear him mic'd up during games, and even more for the post game presser.

"Okay, who go out to play next? Oh, oh, oh, me know! Who have name that starts with C? C is for Chara!"

"Me glad no have Kessel on team anymore. Kessel also eat cookies. Sharing is good, but more cookies for me!"

"They call black thing on ice biscuit, but no taste like biscuit. Taste like tire."

"Today's game is bought to you by the letters T and R, and the number 40."

In all seriousness, I'll be honest...I don't listen to sports radio, but from what I read on here, they're basically all meatheads who love the sound of their own voices, and have ZERO good ideas. Well, I think Felger and Mazz have just confirmed that.

Fire Clode? Nope, not yet. I wouldn't scream if they had to fire him two or three months in for doing stupid Clode stuff (ie Spooner in the press box, Paille as the extra attacker), but I think Clode may finally get the message after dropping the turd that was the 2014-5 season.

Hall and Eberle? I'm agnostic about that. But given Chia's proven *ahem* ability to negotiate (I'm looking at you, Tyler and Johnny *sniff*), and his probable willingness to prove himself in Edmonton, I'd say go for a trade with him.

Looch decision as a top 3 goal? How about Dougie? We need to get him tied down ASAP. Yes, I think Looch should be re-signed or dealt soon. But Hamilton's future is way more important.

Deal Rask? Deal Chara? Deal Seidenberg? Only one of those three things even makes vague sense. This is pure lunacy, and I'd have genuine concerns about Mazz if A) I even cared about him, and B) I thought he was being genuine and not just saying stuff to stir the pot.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Rask has been a full time member of the Bruins for 6 seasons, and has had a very light work load until this past year when suddenly any bad game he had was blamed on fatigue. Why not see what the market is for him ? With or without him, this team has no chance to contend seriously for the next few years. If some team determines he is the missing link, then trade him.

Season / Starts

2009-10 / 39
2010-11 / 27
2011-12 / 22
2012-13 / 34
2013-14 / 58
2014-15 / 67

Three Dog

Apr 12, 2015
Rask has been a full time member of the Bruins for 6 seasons, and has had a very light work load until this past year when suddenly any bad game he had was blamed on fatigue. Why not see what the market is for him ? With or without him, this team has no chance to contend seriously for the next few years. If some team determines he is the missing link, then trade him.

Season / Starts

2009-10 / 39
2010-11 / 27
2011-12 / 22
2012-13 / 34
2013-14 / 58
2014-15 / 67

Sorry man... gotta say I completely disagree with everything you said there. First of all heavy work load or not.... he still put up a 2.30 GAA and 0.922 save Pct in 70 games on a team that (we pretty much all here agree) was struggling defensively. ....so, in those 70 games, he's not entitled to a bad goal/game here and there? I'm not saying it was due to fatigue. ...maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. ....what i am saying, is defensively the team sucked, and you cant blame the guy for not bailing them out every night. He was a huge part of why they were as close to the post season as they were.

You build a team starting with a guy like him in your net, not shop one of the best and most important pieces you have and say " we've got no shot to contend for the next few years anyway".

...I don't even understand how you draw the conlusion that they have no chance for the next few years. Cap is a problem right now. ....its not something that cant be fixed. ...and there is already a tonne of good pieces to play with/keep/attractive dealing pieces. ....there's a lot of options that don't need to include tossing out the one piece that will guarantee you've got no chance for the next few years (Rask).

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
I don't have tons of faith in Julien but I'm hard pressed to see an available coach who is better. Keep him on a short leash and don't give him washed up veteran binkies.

I do think the team has some hard decisions to make with regard to the cap.

And these decisions need to be made like right now. I don't think the Bruins will re-sign Lucic. Even with a slight salary increase, the Bruins can't afford it and let's face it: there's someone out there who's ready to pay big buck for Lucic. Not going to happen unless Milan take a pay cut ( not a chance in hell ). To me, the biggest challenge will be to find takers for a Seidenberg-like contract. This not going to be an easy sell and even there, the Bruins will have to take some salary back. The only way the Bruins can free cap space without taking a huge amount of salary is by trading high value player ( Bergeron, Lucic, Krejci ). We already know that Bergeron is not going anywhere so... Have to say that Chiarelli did an awesome job at handcuffing the Bruins for the next 1-2 years...

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
So, my wife had this annoying habit of watching the local news. Last night while watching I was reminded of a pet peeve of mine. I don't know why it bothers me so much but I get so annoyed when they refer to any adorned athlete as a "former........star".
Last night I heard something like .....former Bruins star Don Sweeney has been named GM".

This isn't a knock on Sweeney, just something that bugs me for some reason.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
So, my wife had this annoying habit of watching the local news. Last night while watching I was reminded of a pet peeve of mine. I don't know why it bothers me so much but I get so annoyed when they refer to any adorned athlete as a "former........star".
Last night I heard something like .....former Bruins star Don Sweeney has been named GM".

This isn't a knock on Sweeney, just something that bugs me for some reason.

Me too.

and I am probably sailing my own ship here, but I'm not of the school that every players makes a good front office person just because they were a player. I know I know Harvard, blah blah, but he still has to get the job done.

remaining skeptical.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Sorry man... gotta say I completely disagree with everything you said there. First of all heavy work load or not.... he still put up a 2.30 GAA and 0.922 save Pct in 70 games on a team that (we pretty much all here agree) was struggling defensively. ....so, in those 70 games, he's not entitled to a bad goal/game here and there? I'm not saying it was due to fatigue. ...maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. ....what i am saying, is defensively the team sucked, and you cant blame the guy for not bailing them out every night. He was a huge part of why they were as close to the post season as they were.

You build a team starting with a guy like him in your net, not shop one of the best and most important pieces you have and say " we've got no shot to contend for the next few years anyway".

...I don't even understand how you draw the conlusion that they have no chance for the next few years. Cap is a problem right now. ....its not something that cant be fixed. ...and there is already a tonne of good pieces to play with/keep/attractive dealing pieces. ....there's a lot of options that don't need to include tossing out the one piece that will guarantee you've got no chance for the next few years (Rask).

I agee, and also we have to look at how he was played, he played in 46/50 of the last games, that's crazy amount for a goalie who played in the 1st half and at time when the last 20 games where must win games.

rudos1

Oct 22, 2009
I think Felger is on the right track, no surprise that Mazz is way off as he is an admitted baseball guy. My only issue with letting Clode go is as others have noted who is available that is an immediate upgrade?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad