Measuring my skating speed and my slapshot velocity - how?

night-timer

Apr 26, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Comments would be appreciated. I am looking for one of those pucks that has the LCD read-out that displays slapshot speed in MPH (or kilometers per hour). Does anyone know where I can buy one?

I've heard those pucks aren't reliable at measuring speed accurately. Anyone know if this is right?

I am also looking for some sort of speedometer that will tell me my skating speed. I'm thinking that maybe joggers use devices like this that I can apply to my power skating drills. Any clues?

Burnaby_Joe*

I had one when I was younger, and no, they're full of sh*t.

Markov79

Apr 22, 2002
Canuckastan
Visit site
night-timer said:
Comments would be appreciated. I am looking for one of those pucks that has the LCD read-out that displays slapshot speed in MPH (or kilometers per hour). Does anyone know where I can buy one?

I've heard those pucks aren't reliable at measuring speed accurately. Anyone know if this is right?

I am also looking for some sort of speedometer that will tell me my skating speed. I'm thinking that maybe joggers use devices like this that I can apply to my power skating drills. Any clues?

skating is easy. measure a distance and see how long it takes you to skate. slapshot is harder to measure. too fast to use a stop watch accuratly.

NJDevs430

Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
night-timer said:
I'm thinking that maybe joggers use devices like this that I can apply to my power skating drills. Any clues?
Those pedometers that jogger and walkers use (at least the cheap ones that I can afford) measure total distance by counting the number of steps you take; you need to program in the length of your stride. I found that I don't always take the same length stride when I go walking for exercise, so I basically drove my truck the course of my walk (man, were those golfers pissed!) to find out how far I was going and divided it by the lenght of time I was gone. Anyway...I don't know how accurate they'd be in measuring skating with the gliding and all. I suppose the best way to measure that is to get up to full steam and have a buddy time you from blueline to blueline. Or, have someone with a bicycle with a speedometer on it ride next to you when you skate.

As for your slapshot, find one of those police radar speed limit signs - the ones that say "Your Speed Is" - and fire one past it and see what it says (I'm sure the cops won't mind if you dent it).
<(-:{

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad