Pre-Game Talk: MDSF: (2) New York Rangers vs. (3) Philadelphia Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
First playoff meeting in 17 years, when the Flyers beat the Rangers 4-1 in the 1997 Eastern Conference Finals.

Season series tied at 2-2.

Schedule

Game|Date|Venue|Time(EST)|TV
1|Thursday, April 17|Madison Square Garden|7pm|MSG
2|Sunday, April 20|Madison Square Garden|12pm|NBC
3|Tuesday, April 22|Wells Fargo Center|8pm|MSG
4|Friday, April 25|Wells Fargo Center|7pm|MSG
5*|Sunday, April 27|Madison Square Garden|12pm|NBC
6*|Tuesday, April 29|Wells Fargo Center|TBD|MSG
7*|Wednesday, April 30|Madison Square Garden|TBD|MSG
*if necessary

Team Stats

| NYR | PHI Wins |45|42
G/G |2.61(18)|2.84(8)
GA/G |2.32(4)|2.77(20)
PP% |18.2(15)|19.7(8)
PK% |85.3(3)|84.8(7)
S/G |33.2(2)|30.4(14)
SA/G |29.4(15)|30.6(19)
(NHL rank)

Team Leaders

| NYR | PHI Goals |Nash - 26|Simmonds - 29
Assists |Zuccarello/Stepan - 40|Giroux - 58
Points |Zuccarello - 59|Giroux - 86
+/- |Kreider - +14|Voracek/Hartnell - +11
PIM |Dorsett - 128|Rinaldo 153

Discuss.

Last edited:

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I don't know about this. I think it's gonna be a tough one. Gotta solve Mason and the MSL Nash chemistry has to be going. Also McD and G need to shutdown Giroux

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
A couple things about this Philly club...

They rank dead last in team defense (2.74 goals against a game) of any of the playoff teams. There are 11 teams behind them but all missed the postseason. The Rangers at 2.33 have the 4th best in the league.

Philadelphia is also dead last among playoff teams in 5 on 5 play, at .97. The Rangers are slightly better at 1.07.

Their special teams play marginally outranks the Rangers, neither of which are particularly good or bad in either category.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I don't want to wish injury upon anyone, but if Mason's injury might keep him out of the first round, or at least a few games.... this is a great thing :nod:

Take care of home ice, boys! I am PUMPED for the playoffs :yo:

Should be a great series. Rangers in 5 :)

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Talk about reigniting a rivalry.

I'm worried about how physical a game Philly plays as a team, and and I'm anxious to see if our forwards really have enough resilience to not fall into the same trap Pitt did last year.

This matchup is a toss-up

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
When has a series been easy for us? I'm thinking back to Atlanta and Kovalchuk days. To me that means adversity, dropping one of the first two but winning game 7 at MSG. Like our line depth...fear their physicality...hope to see Carcillo get in their head.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Philly will always pull off some scumbaggery especially when they fall behind. The boys gotta be prepared.

Should be a good series.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
How I rate these teams:

Toughness up front: Flyers
Toughness on defense: Flyers
Toughness in net: Flyers

Should be a short series.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Mason will supposedly be ready for Game 1. Don't get why he needs to be feared though, he makes good saves, but has given up some truly laughable goals. Check out the Boston game a couple weeks ago.

I don't like the matchup for us, but I welcome the rivalry. Much of my adolescent/adult life, the Rangers were either irrelevant, or ended up in the playoffs against teams I hated (Sabres, Devils, Penguins), or played the Capitals who I don't care about. It's time.

member 51464

Guys. **** Philly. Penguins fan here on your bandwagon for this one. Please embarrass these clowns.

park rangers

Optimist
Feb 7, 2009
NJ
Mason will supposedly be ready for Game 1. Don't get why he needs to be feared though, he makes good saves, but has given up some truly laughable goals. Check out the Boston game a couple weeks ago.

I don't like the matchup for us, but I welcome the rivalry. Much of my adolescent/adult life, the Rangers were either irrelevant, or ended up in the playoffs against teams I hated (Sabres, Devils, Penguins), or played the Capitals who I don't care about. It's time.

Ouch.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Well, not trying to take a shot. But missing the playoffs 7 years in a row doesn't do a ton for genuine hostility. After the Lindros thing passed, the lockout, and afore-mentioned playing teams I dislike more, there wasn't much hating going on ;)

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Anyone remember how Obi Wan described the city of Los Iseles? Thinking it was something along the lines of..."You'll never see a more wretched hide of scum and villainy in your lifetime" ... Pretty much sums up my views on Philadelphia.

Should rename the team the Philthadelphia Dirtbags!

With that's said, let the games begin!

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
People laughed when I said Mason could still be a starter, now they are worried about him... He's been playing good, but it's still only Mason we'll use our Ex-Columbus ninja tactics to expose him.

*Bob Richards*

Should be a good series and a great challenge. I'm excited.

park rangers

Optimist
Feb 7, 2009
NJ
Well, not trying to take a shot. But missing the playoffs 7 years in a row doesn't do a ton for genuine hostility. After the Lindros thing passed, the lockout, and afore-mentioned playing teams I dislike more, there wasn't much hating going on ;)

haha, I hear ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad