GDT: MDF #7 - 05/13/15 | washington capitals @ New York Rangers | 7:30 - NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
So let's just take goalies out of the equation. Then every breakaway will be a goal unless Patrik Stefan is shooting.

If you actually look at the play and see what happened? Yes. Nash made a good move, got Holtby vulnerable, and Holtby barely recovered at the end to save a goal.

I hear you. But if we end up losing this game 1-0, you'll be at peace with it?

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Again. Look at the shot. I'm analyzing the actual play. You're throwing out random things that make no sense and are meaningless.

Nash dekes, Holtby gets vulnerable and opens the five-hole. Nash sees this and immediately goes back-hand. At the last second, Holtby brings his stick down once he realizes what he did. He barely gets his stick on the puck and blocks a very good attempt.

It was an excellent save if you actually understand what happened on the play.

Holtby didn't get vulnerable until he reacted to the move Nash put on. He read it like a book, and knew what move it was going to be. Backhand sneak through the five hole.

Good save, but Nash tried to sneak one through like it was a shootout. Looked like he had the move in his head as he raced toward the net, instead of reacting to what he saw out of Holtby in the moment.

Percentage wise, he should have just ripped the shot high, blocker side. His move was read way too easily.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I want our GOAL SCORER to SCORE a GOAL on a golden chance.....you know, like The Caps' goal scorer did earlier. That's all. Asking too much?

And look what ovechkin did on his goal. He was constantly moving and drove to the net. That doesn't exist in Nash's vocabulary anymore. He's a terrific penalty killer and back checker. Thank you for that Rick we appreciate it

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The rest of our powerplay seems to be looking for quick passes and quick shots and MSL just slows everything to a crawl when he gets it. He's not on the same page as the rest of the unit.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Holtby made a good save on a predictable move. He read it like a short story.

I expect more from our highest paid forward. Would have really loved to see him shoot blocker side on that. Much more of a chance of scoring with a shot than a backhand deke trying to sneak it five-hole as he moves laterally.

Holtby didn't read much of anything, there. He realized he made a mistake and got his stick down at the last second, though, and made a very good desperation save.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Game is far from over guys. Seriously...need to get one and get the building hyped again. They will play much looser in the next period. That initial nervous energy was affecting them.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
This better be an anomaly of a second period for us cause if its like the first it's gonna be a huge hill to climb in the third

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Holtby didn't get vulnerable until he reacted to the move Nash put on. He read it like a book, and knew what move it was going to be. Backhand sneak through the five hole.

Good save, but Nash tried to sneak one through like it was a shootout. Looked like he had the move in his head as he raced toward the net, instead of reacting to what he saw out of Holtby in the moment.

Percentage wise, he should have just ripped the shot high, blocker side. His move was read way too easily.

If Holtby had "read it like a book," he would've had the paddle down far before Nash got the shot off (the replay clearly shows that he barely got a piece of it -- that's a goal if his stick is half an inch higher). His legs were wide open and he barely got his stick on it.

Holtby thought Nash was going to go high back-hand. Not back-hand five-hole. It's what Nash initially showed, too. I thought he was going high with the back-hand at first until he pulled it low.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Game is far from over guys. Seriously...need to get one and get the building hyped again. They will play much looser in the next period. That initial nervous energy was affecting them.

NYR are terrible in 2nd periods these playoffs IIRC. That's what I'm worried about.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Holtby didn't read much of anything, there. He realized he made a mistake and got his stick down at the last second, though, and made a very good desperation save.

Goalies read moves. Don't argue this. It's taught from the mite level.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I am very surprised Nash didn't pull it back to his forehand there. I was expecting him to an he probably would have scored if he did.

If you [as well as most people] were expecting him to do that then that is probably good enough reason for why he did not do that.

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
Fellow Rangers fans,

I know that 1st period was terrible. They were pathetic. If it wasn't for Hank, it could be a 3-0 game. And then Nash not scoring on that breakaway was even more painful. Picked quite the time to come out flat.

Still two periods to go though. I still have faith. Heads up! LGR! Plenty of time to win this thing. Come on boys. We will win this game. As long as there is time on that clock, I will not lose hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad