200px-New_York_Rangers.svg.png
V
200px-Pittsburgh_Penguins_logo.svg.png

New York Rangers v Pittsburgh Penguins

PENGUINS at RANGERS

(Pittsburgh leads best-of-7 series 2-1)

TV:
NBCSN, CBC, RDS

Big story: New York Rangers coach Alain Vigneault inserted defenseman Raphael Diaz and forwards J.T. Miller and Jesper Fast into the lineup for Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Second Round series against the Pittsburgh Penguins. Although Pittsburgh won 2-0 to take the series lead, the Rangers outshot Pittsburgh 35-15, and Vigneault hinted Tuesday he could stick with the same lineup in Game 4.

He also expects the off-day to re-energize a team that played five games in seven days.

"Now we're going into a normal schedule where we're playing every other night," Vigneault said Tuesday. "We're behind by one game; our most important game is tomorrow."

Team Scope:

Penguins: Pittsburgh's performance in Game 3 wasn't nearly as sharp as the complete two-way effort in the Penguins' 3-0 victory in Game 2 on Sunday. Though two of their stars, captain Sidney Crosby and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury, came through in Game 3, the Penguins know they'll need to be better if they hope to take a 3-1 lead in the series.

Heading into Game 4 at Madison Square Garden, the Penguins are looking for a more balanced attack.
"I think at the end of the day, when we look at our team, it's pretty well built from the forwards to the goalies," defenseman Kris Letang said Tuesday. "It's all guys who want to want to win for each other. I think that's how we're built and I think that's how we answer every game. There's guys stepping up every night. It's not always the same guys. I think collectively, we know if we don't play as a five-man unit on the ice, we're not going to do anything good."

Rangers: Vigneault and his players sounded confident following a frustrating Game 3 in which they believed they deserved a better fate. But there is still no getting around the topic of New York's ineffective power play. The Rangers have failed to score with the man advantage on 34 straight attempts, a skid that skid dates to Game 2 of their opening-round series against the Philadelphia Flyers. They are 0-for-13 against the Penguins.

With Diaz manning one point, New York did manage 10 shots on its five power plays, almost matching Pittsburgh's shot total for the entire game. Vigneault hopes a day off will help.

"I understand we didn't score and we didn't finish on those opportunities, but I believe with this day off here our execution might be better," Vigneault said. "I'm going in there with a lot of confidence and I'm sure our players feel the same way."

New York Rangers
J.T Miller - Derek Stepan - Martin St.Louis
Carl Hagelin - Brad Richards - Rick Nash
Benoit Pouliot - Derick Brassard - Mats Zuccarello
Brian Boyle - Dominic Moore - Jesper Fast

Ryan McDonagh - Dan Giradi
Marc Staal (A) - Anton Stralman
Raphael Diaz - Kevin Klein

Pittsburgh Penguins
Chris Kunitz - Sidney Crosby (C) - Lee Stempniak
Jussi Jokinen - Evgeni Malkin (A) - James Neal
Beau Bennett - Brandon Sutter - Joe Vitale
Brian Gibbons - Marcel Goc - Craig Adams

Olli Maatta - Matt Niskanen
Kris Letang - Paul Martin
Rob Scuderi - Robert Bortuzzo

[size=+2][glow=black]Team Leaders[/size][/glow]
large.png
||
large.png

Jokinen 5|GOALS| Richards & Pouliot 3
Martin 8|ASSISTS| Richards, St.Louis, Girardi and Nash 4
Malkin 10|POINTS| Richards 7
Martin +9|PLUS MINUS| Staal +5
Kunitz 12|PIM|Hagelin, Carcillo, Dorsett 10​

i
V
i

2.22 GAA - 6-0-3 & .925% V 2.08 GAA - 5-5-0 & .922

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
... Drooling at the thought of taking a commanding series lead tonight behind the return of "good-MAF"

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
From the other PGT:

What annoys me though is that if Fleury hadn't Fleury'd himself in game 1, we could be going for the sweep tonight.

If he hadn't Fleury'd in Game 4 against Columbus there would be no Game 6 and his number would read;

.935SV% and 1.78 GAA

Rough calculations mind.

Randallooch

Sep 4, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
The whole team was flat for game 1 of the NYR/PIT series, with the exception of a few standouts. It was Sid's worst game for sure, and that shift at the end where they scored twice in OT, he looked like a buffoon.

I hope we start off right tonight. Proper lines, no dumb penalties which results in less Scuderi time hopefully, and the defensive responsibility from games 2/3.

Put 'em down early.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Very important game tonight. I would love to win this one and close it out back at home at game 5. Give the boys some rest, while BOS/MTL beat the hell out of each other in hopefully a 7 game series that MTL wins in 6OT.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I hope im wrong, but i don't like the pens chances tonight, pens haven't played good after a win this entire playoffs with the exception of the first 2 periods in game 6.

NYR will be the more desperate team and they will eventually get some puck luck, NYR aren't going to keep on hitting posts and the pens aren't going to keep on getting BA after the PK is over.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Orpik was one of our better defensemen in round 1 before he got hurt. Ideally, switch out Scuderi with Orpik and go with

Martin-Letang
Maatta-Niskanen
Orpik-Bortuzzo

but we'll probably see...

Orpik-Martin
Scuderi-Letang
Maatta-Niskanen

Pharrell Williams

watch me whip and nae nae
Sep 15, 2013
a particular place or position.
Orpik was one of our better defensemen in round 1 before he got hurt. Ideally, switch out Scuderi with Orpik and go with

Martin-Letang
Maatta-Niskanen
Orpik-Bortuzzo

but we'll probably see...

Orpik-Martin
Scuderi-Letang
Maatta-Niskanen

Yeah probably. Then again, none of us thought Gibbons would player over Glass.

... na, both Scuds and Orpik will play, I'm just trying to be positive.

DeadGator401

Feb 7, 2011
I hope im wrong, but i don't like the pens chances tonight, pens haven't played good after a win this entire playoffs with the exception of the first 2 periods in game 6.

NYR will be the more desperate team and they will eventually get some puck luck, NYR aren't going to keep on hitting posts and the pens aren't going to keep on getting BA after the PK is over.

what?

Didn't they just do that?

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Maatta has definitely not been good, but not to the point where he should be removed from the lineup. Have to let the young guys learn from their mistakes and give him the experience if he's a future potential franchise Dman here.

I don't know what to think about an Orpik-Scuderi bottom pair. I think it would open the door for odd man breaks, Scuderi can't make an outlet pass, Orpik kinda can but I wouldn't trust those 2 together in all honesty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad