McMahon steps down as WWE CEO over misconduct allegations

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Won’t be long till Tony Khan purchases WWE and makes pro wrestling great again.
It will be the biggest and best wrestling organization ever, trust me. No one is the negotiator I am, I get deals done. Barack ObamaVince McWoman is a terrible president. LOCK HIM UP! LOCK HIM UP! LOCK HIM UP!

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

And retirement

• Love
Reactions: Fixxer

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
At this point, I don't think any of them will take him. He quit because he was about to be forced out.

Reactions: Fixxer

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
BOD probably told him that he needed to step down otherwise they would terminate him. It’s a publicly traded co after all.
I believe he controlled 80% of the voting shares (most WWE shares like other family companies that go public are Class B, like my Manchester United share for example I own for novalty). With that level of control he can force out board members who disagree, but it may then crash the stock which then significantly damages his and his family's wealth.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I believe he controlled 80% of the voting shares (most WWE shares like other family companies that go public are Class B, like my Manchester United share for example I own for novalty). With that level of control he can force out board members who disagree, but it may then crash the stock which then significantly damages his and his family's wealth.
Correct, he would also be sued into oblivion - even if he has the legal right to remove the board members, all shareholders could sue for breach of fiduciary duty for him causing damage to the stock price by acting in his own self interest

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Vince is preserving the value of the Stock and the company for now. I think with its market Cap the shares are worth close to $5 billion so Vince doesn’t want to tank this.

At his age one would think he could just ride off into the sunset but it wouldn’t really be a wrestling story line if it ended like that. It will be interesting to see if he can untangle his ego from this challenge.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He is 77. Wonder if he would consider owning an MLB, NHL, or NFL franchise.

His net worth is tied up in WWE stock and even then hes worth $2.5bn. A big amount i know, but sports teams are getting super expensive. Besides, whats the point at his age.

Also OP

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
When you read the lawsuit, it seems directly related to the events of when this thread was started.

This only the beginning, as they also had one of their most visible sponsors basically put a hold on their dealings.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Isn't this the 3rd time in 6 years he has stepped down only to comeback a few months later

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I know during the height of the attitude era there were rumors of him buying the Red Sox. Most recently he was linked with buying Newcastle United
Any time he’s tried anything else but wrestling, it went poorly. And none of those leagues would let him in anyways.

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
Should note that he was already very sidelined. Kicked upstairs, essentially.

Basically, what happened was he resigned following an internal investigation he used company funds to pay for an NDA to a mistress, which usually can be smoothed over quietly by paying back the money before it's an issue. Though it did cause the company to have to revise prior financial statements, because it turns out he'd done this before, which doesn't look good to Wall Street. Also, that happens to be illegal, though the Feds are doing their usual thorough job investigating; they do not like to lose in court and take as much time needed to make an airtight case.

However, despite resigning, he still retained a controlling interest in the company because he owned 80% of the preferred-class stock, which meant an automatic supermajority in shareholder elections for the board. This despite only actually owning about 33% of the company's total market equity. First he petitioned the board to be re-elected as chairman. They voted no. Unanimously. Including his own daughter and son-in-law. So he pulled a boardroom coup, using his voting power to install a new board that included a majority that would reinstate him. He claimed that it was to steer the company in its new media negotiations, but he really was working to sell the company.

Ultimately he put together the merger with UFC into the TKO Group, which saw UFC's parent Endeavor get 51% of the combined company while WWE shareholders got the remainder. As part of the deal, written into the articles of incorporation of the combined company, Vince was appointed executive chairman for life, or until he resigned. Apparently that was a non-negotiable condition of the sale, and he actually rejected larger offers that would have left him out. (That's actually a breach of fiduciary duty as a board member, and there is a pending class-action lawsuit against him form other stockholders.)

Regardless of that, while he was still chairman, he was told in no uncertain terms early on that he was to be hands off, leave the day to day business operations of WWE to Nick Khan, and leave the creative to Paul Levesque (aka 14-time world champion Triple H, aka Vince's son-in-law). So despite his attempts to write himself in to permanent control despite selling, he was effectively sidelined.

But then the other shoe dropped. Turns out that in his arrogance he didn't bother actually paying out that entire sum from the NDA that triggered the first investigation, giving her only a third of the money. So she filled a new lawsuit. One that, with copious amounts of evidence included, shows that Vince wasn't just a routine cheater covering up an affair.

He's a depraved psychopath who groomed, abused, degraded, raped, and trafficked the woman, and probably others. The entire lawsuit filing is online, if you want to read it. I just recommend that if you do, you be prepared to be beyond mortified. It may be better for your mental health not to read it. I'm not kidding, nor am I exaggerating. This wasn't just cheating, these were outright criminal acts. While the lawsuit is a civil case, not a criminal one, since the lawsuit filing is part of the public record, there is clearly now enough public evidence to pursue criminal matters.

Last edited:
Reactions: jigglysquishy

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Any time he’s tried anything else but wrestling, it went poorly. And none of those leagues would let him in anyways.
He flopped miserably in minor league hockey. He thought the general public would love bodybuilding mixed with showmanship. He was unable to sell supplements. He created a football league but forgot entirely about the football the first time and the second time kept fighting the other people in charge of operations.

Ironically, the thing that made him money also made him impossible to be taken seriously by his peers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad