News Article: McKenzie: Leafs, Flyers, Bruins, Ducks could make a run at Babcock

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I moved this because I thought it deserved it's own thread rather than a burying in Around the NHL.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
You mean to tell me NHL teams will be vying to sign one of the best coaches to ever go on the market?

In other news: water is wet.

BamaWing

May 11, 2010
Birmingham, AL
You know, before I was worried about losing him. With the play of Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Glendening, Mrazek, etc etc. I'm not really worried about this

edmundbenz

Mar 30, 2014
New Jersey
Babcock would never leave his players. Wings is his family, the only reason he would leave is a conflict between him and Kenny..

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Chicago probably.

there's probably at least 5-10 teams minimum when you stop and think about it

there's teams like Chicago and Los Angeles that have done well with the coaches they have and probably aren't interested in switching to someone different

then there's teams like Nashville and Washington that have new coaches that they have done well with so far and are probably very happy with right now

hell there's probably even a couple teams out there that actually would want him but would prefer to go with someone cheaper

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The only teams he's leave to go to are Pittsburgh, Anaheim, and Tampa Bay. I don't think any of those teams will be hiring coaches this offseason. I can't imagine he'd want to go to Toronto at this point.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Only attractive thing that Toronto can offer right now is money, and that's not what it lacks of here. So yeah, I don't see him leaving for them in this century.
Going to one of the other teams mentioned isn't something I expect either. He absolutely sees what's possible with our guys and that there's developping something around here.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Only attractive thing that Toronto can offer right now is money

He may also want to go there for the challenge of doing so. If he believed his own hype (and I have no idea if he does or not), he'd go there to turn that gong show into a winner. They could also offer him more control over the roster/some GM responsibilities.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He may also want to go there for the challenge of doing so. If he believed his own hype (and I have no idea if he does or not), he'd go there to turn that gong show into a winner. They could also offer him more control over the roster/some GM responsibilities.

Still the problem at Toronto is weak drafting and developing. Babcock isn't a guy who turns that background force to work, he is a full-time coach, not a builder guy. Somebody else has to do that, no matter how much power would you give him.

Maple Leafs organization will suck and Babcock can't change that by himself, challenge or not. he is not that idiot that he goes there.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If Boston hires him, can we just turn around and hire Julien and call it a good day?

We will promote Blashill.

I don't see the Boston one for a big reason. Julien is somebody Babcock respects immensely and considers a friend.

Hitchcock
Ruff
Julien
McLellan
McLean

These are guys he considers friends. You can pretty much cross their teams off if they fire those guys to get after him in my opinion. Now I could be dead wrong, but say St. Louis falls short and cans Hitch, I don't see Babcock entertaining their offers. Julien is another guy he respects a ton, would he really want to either stab him in the back and even if Julien doesn't feel that way wouldn't he look at them and think well if he couldn't do anything with them they have problems.

Cooper is not in danger in Tampa.

The Ducks one is interesting, the Pens (I don't think their coach is in danger either) also has some potential. But those are teams Ilitch would hammer at the negotiation table.

The Wings are not beholden to Babcock though. If his demands are absurd, they should thank him for all he has done and hand the reigns to Blashill. The pillar of winning in this organization comes from the Ownership level, Holland and Devellano. If Babs wants a new challenge, I wish him luck. But the grass isn't always greener, he says that a lot and in my opinion there doesn't appear to be a single job save Sutter wanting to retire back to the ranch that makes more sense than re-signing with Detroit.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I'm to the point where it really doesn't matter. He IS a good coach, but honestly, Blash could do just as well I think due to the roster being solid/good.

The players help Babs too.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Not worried by any of those teams. As Babs repeatedly said last summer "If you're going to jump, you'd better make sure the grass is greener".

Which instantly rules out Toronto and Philly. Former is in complete disarray, Philly can't go 5 seconds without making a blockbuster trade to satisfy owner/fans and still suck. Bruins are on the decline and don't have a bunch of promising prospects coming through to fill the gaps.

Ducks is interesting as they are a legit contender but that still only makes them equal to us. OK, they have nicer weather, but we can pay Babs more.

TLDR: Babs wants to win, and win now. I can't see him going to any of those teams (but thanks for helping me up my salary in negotiations ;) )

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Philly would be the only team listed that I wouldn't be upset with him signing with, only because he would end up terrorizing Pittsburgh. Though if he were to leave i'd rather him go West. I still don't think he leaves though.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
He'll use a bidding war to get the Wings to match his highest offer. I think he'll get close to $5M per season on his next contract and have no qualms with him getting paid that much. There is no salary cap for coaches afterall - it's one area where teams with money can get an advantage over teams struggling a bit financially.

Babcock ain't gonna leave unless Wings lowball him and he feels slighted - a good team with solid young players and a new arena opening in two seasons it a top gig.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad