McKenzie: 2003 Unsigned Picks (Carter, Richards, et al.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Were suppoed to re-enter draft due to not being signed by June 1st, but will be a specified period of time for these players to sign with 2003 picks.

Financially, will be entitled to terms of old CBA MINUS 24 % rollback (so old ELS maxes - 24%). But can only get 30% in signing bonus (previously 50%). With respect to performance bonuses, will not have access to Thornton-style bonuses; instead, limited to $850k (amount 2005 draftees will be permitted).

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Steve L said:
Good news for the Flyers :D . The teams that went against Bettmans advice and signed their prospects must be kicking themselves now as theyve taken up a bit more cap room than they needed to.

Except that these guys will also be rolled back 25%, so it seems that only the bonus structure has really changed. Having said that, you're right, it's a better deal for the Clarkes of the world now.

SENSible1*

Hmmm....EXACTLY as predicted. I wonder what spin Massager will add to this one.

FlyersFan10*

joepeps said:
What if they refuse to sign??????

RFA UFA?????

same as old CBA :dunno: ?

But that's the thing. Carter and Richards have already indicated they're willing to sign on the dotted line. We've done alright. We played Russian Roulette and I was worried we would lose them. It's all good in the end. Now, hopefully we can prepare buyouts for JL, TA, JR, DB, MT, etc.....

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
FlyersFan10 said:
But that's the thing. Carter and Richards have already indicated they're willing to sign on the dotted line. We've done alright. We played Russian Roulette and I was worried we would lose them. It's all good in the end. Now, hopefully we can prepare buyouts for JL, TA, JR, DB, MT, etc.....

My guess is they will enter the draft.... If I were them I would...

I wouldn't wanna play for a team that wanted to save 200k and not sign mea few years ago.. why should I do them any favours????? :teach:

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Also, I take it the rookie deal will expire 1 year earlier for the pre CBA signed players so the Flyers will keep Carter and Richards on a lower salary for one more year than the rest of the 2003 draft class?

SENSible1*

Jobu said:
Re-enter 2005 draft and subject to new CBA.

And since the financial terms are worse in the new CBA for entry level contracts, expect the vast majority to sign a deal with the team that holds their rights.

Lanny MacDonald*

Steve L said:
Good news for the Flyers :D . The teams that went against Bettmans advice and signed their prospects must be kicking themselves now as theyve taken up a bit more cap room than they needed to.

Yes, Clarke caught a break there. But I cannot blame any team that signed their draft picks and refused to roll the dice. Better safe than sorry. Clarke would have looked like an idiot of things went the other way. That was a gamble, one that he could have easily lost.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
joepeps said:

I wouldn't wanna play for a team that wanted to save 200k and not sign mea few years ago.. why should I do them any favours????? :teach:
Surprise surprise, a Leaf fan wanting them to re enter the draft.

Both have said they will sign for the Flyers and Clarke will give them both the maximum allowed in the new CBA.

88Headdown

Jun 1, 2005
joepeps said:

- Hahahahahahaha. No. They both will be in the Orange and Black, sorry.

Hockey's back, I think i'm going to cry.

Stonehands77

Jul 8, 2002
Waltham, MA
Steve L said:

Both have said they will sign for the Flyers and Clarke will give them both the maximum allowed in the new CBA.
Yeah, what a shock. The people who keep suggesting they won't sign with the Flyers and re-enter the draft because "they'd be angry about not getting that extra cash" seem to keep forgetting they'll lose MORE money by re-entering the draft. If it's all about the money, guess which route they'll take? :shakehead

Anyway, good to hear about this. I was never really worried about it, as I saw this as the bone that would get tossed to the big market clubs like the Flyers who held off on signing their prospects. But it's still nice to see some confirmation of it. So now, Carter and Richards will definitely wear the orange and black this fall...outstanding! This should be a very, VERY interesting season. :)

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
joepeps said:

Clarke also gave them an opportunity to play for the Phantoms at the tail end of last year. I'm sure they got a good chunk of the 200K back there for a couple of months work, not to mention the thrill of winning the Turner Cup or whatever it is the AHL plays for....

For a big market club, I think you gotta give Clarke a bit of respect. In the final offseason before the lockout, him & Snyder didn't do anything free agents-wise or otherwise that'd hurt the plight of the smaller market clubs or smack in the face of what the NHL set out to accomplish. The guys they signed were mainly fringe players at decent fringe player contracts.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Benji Frank said:
Clarke also gave them an opportunity to play for the Phantoms at the tail end of last year. I'm sure they got a good chunk of the 200K back there for a couple of months work
They didn't make a dime, they were on Amateur Tryout contracts.

FlyersProspect2

Jun 14, 2004
Chicopee, Ma
The guys that signed deals before the lock out get rolled back away. They wouldn't be getting much more money than guys that didn't sign before the lock out. Either way I doubt to many prospect will be reentering the draft.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Leafs fans.... :shakehead

Try to draft some decent players for a change so you don't have to steal prospects from other teams.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Steve L said:

I don't care if Toronto signs them or not.. If Toronto didn't offer Cola or Steen a contract I wouldn't be suprised to see them go........

salzy

Mar 3, 2005
Windsor
So guys like Phaneuf and Perry that signed on the eve of the lockout will cost their teams more than they needed to under their entry level contracts AND their entry level contracts will expire a year earlier too, so they'll have to buck up or risk losing them a year earlier than they had to as well.

The funny thing is, if you have followed the literature on this topic throughout the course of the lockout, it's been the overwhelming consensus - from agents to players to GMs to insiders to writers and on and on - that this is EXACTLY how it would play out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad