TSN: McGuire: Expect Leafs to be a 'home ice' team in Eastern Conference playoffs

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We almost made it last season. Not really a lofty goal, more of an expectation.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Personally, and this may fall under 'unpopular opinions', I think there's been too much talk about how competitive this team will be after what was more or less, a minimal-injury season last year.
We have some new bodies and some that departed. I just want to see how the gel before making any bold predicitons

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Personally, and this may fall under 'unpopular opinions', I think there's been too much talk about how competitive this team will be after what was more or less, a minimal-injury season last year.
We have some new bodies and some that departed. I just want to see how the gel before making any bold predicitons

I have a bit of a pessimistic view of the team this season. Just don't see Bozak, JvR, repeating what they did last season. I also think at least one of the rookies will slump this season. I think we'll be a bubble team.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I have a bit of a pessimistic view of the team this season. Just don't see Bozak, JvR, repeating what they did last season. I also think at least one of the rookies will slump this season. I think we'll be a bubble team.
To be fair people say that about JVR and Bozak every year.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
Let's be honest here. If the leafs lose Anderson to injury for any long length of time they would probably end up in the bottom 5 of teams because I can't see their offence especially their younger players performing better than last year. Defensively they are still a bottom 10 team and I doubt hansey will be able to be the top line d-men they have needed for a long time. Rielly is really a top 2 or top 3 d-men but he can't be expected to be as defensively strong which is what they really need.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Bozak never hit 50 points before. I don't expect him to hit that mark again. I think both of them will struggle and will bring Marner down.
Absolutely possible and that could have been Bozak's career year but I'm talking about the fact that there is a large contingent that say every year he an JVR had a lucky year and won't sustain their level of play. This was pandemic as soon as Kessel was traded.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
TB should run away with & win the Div.

Montreal (with Price), Boston (with Rask) >> Toronto (with Andersen)

So Toronto would be hard pressed to to win home Ice with Andersen and behind this Dcore, but its possible if things go right.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Though Boazak and JVR played more or less as they have for the past few seasons?

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Would not surprise me to see this team regress a bit and miss the playoffs. It's still a young team with lots to learn and much growing to do.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Bit surprised by the pessimism.

The Leafs have the best forward group in the division, their D core is better than the previous season, and so as long as Andersen remains healthy and consistent the Leafs should easily challenge for the top spot.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Agreed on the bubble team.

People forget that Andy had to stand on his head many MANY nights. If the plan is to let your goalie bail you every night..not sure that is a winning approach.
People forget our defence was atrocious on many nights, do we think that by adding Hainsey and taking out our 5/6 dmen Polak and Hunwick that makes our defence that much better?
People forget many (most) of our forwards had career years last year. Is it probable that happens again?
People forget that on many nights we took the other teams by surprise, there are no surprises this year.
People forget that few teams have a upward linear progression from the worst to first. Steps forward, steps back is normal.
People forget this is our 2nd year of the rebuild, the tank year I don't count.
People forget Mcguire is a ...fill in the blank.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Bozak never hit 50 points before. I don't expect him to hit that mark again. I think both of them will struggle and will bring Marner down.

Bozak is closer to a 50 point scorer than 40 point scorer.

This past year he had 50+, he had 2 49 point seasons, another season he had 47 points and played in 73 games. His career numbers are that of a 52 point scorer per year on average.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

oh come on. let's not make it like he was never anywhere close to making 50 points before. Bozak had 49 points twice and on pace to hit 50 if he didn't get injured for the length of time he did (and he was injured last season too).

JVR has been a 60 pt player 3 of 4 years (and the outlier was the tank year when he had a broken foot).

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
TB should run away with & win the Div.

Montreal (with Price), Boston (with Rask) >> Toronto (with Andersen)

So Toronto would be hard pressed to to win home Ice with Andersen and behind this Dcore, but its possible if things go right.

I think we are icing a better team than MTL and bos. Yes price is better in net, rask maybe a slight edge as he's not looked as strong the past 2 years to me so rask=Andersen

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I'm just looking for us to make the playoffs for the next 10 years, it doesn't matter how!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Habs live and die by Price and he Bruins didn't even make the playoffs last year (though admittedly they're still a good team).

I'm not so sure why each is considered to be a lock well above the Leafs

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Cause they are REALLY stacked. I agree TB is the team to beat and Montreal and Washington will finish outside of the playoffs.

People fear them too much.

They had 94 points last year and 97 points the year before. I know people will cite injuries for last year, but the year before they were one of the healthier teams in the NHL.

They're good but not runaway favourites.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The Habs live and die by Price and he Bruins didn't even make the playoffs last year (though admittedly they're still a good team).

I'm not so sure why each is considered to be a lock well above the Leafs

They did make the playoffs, lost to the Sens in round 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad