McGill Redbirds

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
If they had chosen "Reds", those concerned with the issue would still consider it essentially the same as Redmen. Redbirds is a terrible nickname, but it's tough to get angry about a bird, and it means the Martlets will have essentially the same nickname as the men.

What's interesting about the history of the nickname "Redmen" is that it was originally adopted by three separate universities (McGill, RMC, St John's) because their athletes wore red.

It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure out that the nickname was associated with RMC Cadets wearing Scarlet Red as their dress uniform. RMC dropped Redmen (over a two-year period from 1995-1997) NOT because it was deemed racist (it clearly wasn't), but because it was not bilingual. Cadets had a vote: the final three options were Paladins, Phoenix, and Sabres. Thank heaven Paladins won the vote.

McGill and St John's started using some Native American imagery over time (mascots, logos), which turned it from an innocent nickname to a racist one. McGill dropped all of its Native imagery sometime in the 1980s, I believe, but it's tough to argue the nickname was innocent when the Redmen logo included the head of a Native American warrior in full headdress.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wiki say the Redmen name was originally meant to honour McGill's Scottish ancestry and hair coloring. Redbirds is lame. My son is on a varsity team and was hoping for Red Hawks.

goalsforeveryone

Nov 24, 2020
Gee, I wonder how many Martlets they polled on how they would feel about sharing their name before they determined it would "be unfair or disrespectful to" or "infringe upon" the women's teams/legacy. My money is on none.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad