Confirmed with Link: McDonagh + Miller to Tampa Bay for Namestnikov + Howden + Hajek + 2018 1st + conditional 2019 1st

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I think they needed to come away with Sergachev. And if they weren't going to then they had to come away with Howden, Hajek, and Foote for letting them keep Sergachev.

Potential to have (2) 1st round picks. They now have three 1st round picks in the upcoming draft.

An eventual extra 2nd round pick or 1st round pick in 2020 draft. Having 3 picks in the first two rounds in the 2020 draft could be significant help to this organization at that time because they will be going into the 2nd full year of their rebuild for 20-21 season. And at that time the team might be starting to transition to compete.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Namenstikov and Miller are basically the same player, so that's hilarious.

Hajek and Howden aren't as bad as people are going to make them out to be, but we're all going to be a bit disappointed with this deal initially because it doesn't have any of those high profile names attached to it.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Spooner replaces Miller, I guess is the logic. Similarly inconsistent players with offensive skill.

I may not like the full value of the deal, but maybe Miller's value wasn't that high.

Well, at the end of the day, I don't see why it would be all that high. He's given zero effort all year, has basically played like he doesn't care, and is one of the most wildly inconsistent players on the Rangers in years.

Look, perhaps this is all of us just overrating Miller's value. That may very well be the case, here. If anything, it probably IS the case.

With that said, Howden is a big time get for us. I was hoping for either him or Foote as the centerpiece for McD. No clue what the conditions on the second are, though.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Namenstikov and Miller are basically the same player, so that's hilarious.

Hajek and Howden aren't as bad as people are going to make them out to be, but we're all going to be a bit disappointed with this deal initially because it doesn't have any of those high profile names attached to it.

TBH, anyone that says Howden is "bad" is a moron. So I sincerely hope no one on our board is that dumb. Hajek is a very solid prospect as well.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The second turns into a first is TBL win the cup this year or next.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Initial reaction: The Rangers wanted to get away from Miller. Otherwise swapping him for Namestnikov makes no sense.

However, Howden, Hajek, 1st, conditional second is almost EXACTLY what most of us have been saying for weeks now. It was just Hajek instead of Foote. Gorton didn't get fleeced, despite the hot takes here. People who thought Sergachev, let alone Point were coming back are absolutely freaking clueless. Absolutely. Clueless.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Namestnikov is now our leading scorer, incidentally.

I would've much rather got another prospect like Raddyish or Foote over Namest, though.

Reactions: Jeff Groten

hpNYR

HF Forecaster
Jun 18, 2006
Northridge, CA
www.twitter.com
Do you guys realize what a stud Hajek is? Let’s calm down a little bit. Gorts waited to the wite and got the best he can, which isn’t all that bad at all.

Love that were getting Namestnikov. Kovalchuk is almost a certainty over the summer too.

Reactions: Joey Bones

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah if you look at this as a Miller-Namestinkov swap its essentially Hajek,Howden and possibly 2 1sts for McDonagh which isn't too bad.

Would have easily preferred Foote to Hajek though. If he was involved this is a pretty fair deal.

I hope Tampa gets their asses whooped this year, buy out Callahan over the summer and then win in 2019.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Could've been better. Should've been better.

I was hoping for better.

Whatever.

EDIT - I just wanted to rhyme things. I obviously have no proof it "could've been better". Please do not take your anger out on me.

Reactions: leetch99

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
BRUTAL trade. Brutal.

That return would be borderline bad for just McDonagh. We're giving them Miller too?

McDonagh was our one legitimate bargaining chip to acquire future elite talent. Gorton unquestionably failed to do that here.

Seems like he let Yzerman force him into a bad trade because he just wanted to get the rebuild started.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
if I could actually f***ing type something without the site crashing, the deal doesn't look all that horrible to me. I would have preferred the 1st '19 but break it down like this:

McDonagh (AT FULL SALARY) - this means the Rangers have the ability to take on some money in the off-season

for

Howden (probably a top-5 prospect immediately in this system)
Hajek (may be the best defense prospect in this organization from day 1)
TB 1st '18
TB 2nd '20 or TB 1st '20

This looks identical to the Yandle trade except Gorton didn't need to retain any money.

Miller (who didn't look good at all this year)

for

Namestnikov (who has had a career year and if memory serves me corectly, this organization has liked for a few years)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The lack of impact isn't good. I don't think there's any big impact with Namestnikov, Hajek, Howden. Might very well be 3 good/decent NHL'ers, but we gave up our best player, and another player worth a 1st+.

This team will make its mark in the draft. Gonna need a top 5 pick the next few years. Thats where we will acquire our best players. If we don't get picks in that range or we pick poorly, the rebuild will be extremely long.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
2 A prospects, potentially 2 firsts for McDonagh is a good deal.

They’re not top 10 league prospects, but they’re still A prospects.

Not blown away, but it’s fine.

Reactions: leetch99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad