Speculation: McDavid's rumored extension and what it means for Johansen

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
I would be ok with 8x8. 8.5 would be a little uncomfortable but knowing we have Rinne's huge cap hit coming off the books soon and that wilson and smith also aren't much longer for this world I could live with 8.5

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I would be ok with 8x8. 8.5 would be a little uncomfortable but knowing we have Rinne's huge cap hit coming off the books soon and that wilson and smith also aren't much longer for this world I could live with 8.5

Kind of my take as well, I was expecting worse tbh. Basically if I'm Poile I try and sell him on the fact that just a bit less gives them just a bit more cap room ( and we plan to use it).

I think he can get him down to 8X8 if he is looking for 8.5. My guess is Poile is probably trying to get him for 7 though.

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
So did we get stuck on the fact that maybe RyJo isn't quite as good as Kopitar and lose sight of the fact that the starting point RyJo's camp put out there was less than Kopitar's number?

I'm not sure what the argument is at this point because it seems the ask would fall in line with the assertion that RyJo isn't quite Kopitar (from a ppg perspective).

Kopitar @ 28 years old 8 years @ 10m per
vs.
RyJo @ 24 years old 8 years @ 8.5m per (probably lower)

Give me Johansen.

Absolutely...I'll take Joey at 8.5m x8 all day, every day and twice on Sundays.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Johansen compared to similar players production and future potential ie. MacKinnon, Monaghan, Barkov and Jones earn between $5.5M - $6.5M annually. Ekblad signed for $8M which is already considered among the DMen in the league, but has suffered from multiple concussions. Most of these players were signed within the last 1-2 years. Johansen is definitely a good player, but $8.5M is insane and returning from a very serious injury, could be a huge risk like Ekblad. Market dictates $7M, but offer slightly more at $8M long term, he has a history of being difficult in contract negotiations and still might not sign, reason he was traded.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
If I am johansen I get all the money I can.

This kid was a hair away from having his career ending a month ago.

I would bet that factors into the thinking. Most guys say it could happen, but it actually almost happened with him.

The 8x8 is the best financial decision he could make.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Poile said today he has no idea how much Joey and Arvy are going to cost him based on initial talks.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Would love to see that new Kuznetsov deal for Johansen.

Unfortunately, while Kuznetsov has equivalent-ish numbers, he's still not their #1 guy!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad