Who has had the better season thus far?

• Matthews

Votes: 262 36.2%
  • Mcdavid

Votes: 462 63.8%

• Total voters

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Or maybe the embarrassing thing is how you aren't able to figure out what the poll was about and when it was made. The question was not "who's the better player".

It’s funny how “this season” stops counting once the playoffs start. I know Leafs fans are used to that being the case for their team but come on now.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
It’s funny how “this season” stops counting once the playoffs start. I know Leafs fans are used to that being the case for their team but come on now.
Convient how Matthews got matched up against Hedman and McDavid got Roy (who just came off injury).

DraiInSeiderKuch

May 5, 2022
Convient how Matthews got matched up against Hedman and McDavid got Roy (who just came off injury).
McDavid got shadowed by two of the top 5 Defensive centers in the NHL all series, and played against a team that ran a 1-3-1 all series.

McDavid played the worst team in the playoffs. They both were very good though in the first round
Worst team was Nashville followed closely by Dallas.

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
McDavid faced Danault this series just like Matthews had to last year. He had 2 PPG. What did Auston do again?
Not directly relevant to the poll. But for comparison’s sake, Montreal’s d-core was better than the kings this series.
What was Matthews production in game 7 again? Since you love all them small sample sizes, you’ll love this one.
This season McDavid has 1 extra game 7 point. Weak argument Tad. Next.
McDavid got shadowed by two of the top 5 Defensive centers in the NHL all series, and played against a team that ran a 1-3-1 all series.
That’s certainly debatable. I would also argue the defense matchups impact forward production more. They probably ran a 1-3-1 to protect their defense.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Mcdavid saw this poll and was so offended that people put his name and Matthews name in the same sentence and took his anger out on the kings

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Not directly relevant to the poll. But for comparison’s sake, Montreal’s d-core was better than the kings this series.

It’s absolutely relevant. Sorry, but Matthews failed to deliver when it mattered most and that’s why he is hitting the golf course or whatever today for the fourth year in a row. McDavid meanwhile just had one of the best rounds ever, all-time. There’s no comparing the two and there never was outside of “muh 60 goals”.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I've been told (by a small but vocal group of fans that shall remain unnamed) that secondary assists and empty net points don't count. By that measure, McDavid had 12 "actual" points this past series. You'd have to count every playoff game Matthews has played over the past three years (a span of 19 games) in order for him to pull ahead of what McDavid just did in this one series.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
McDavid's a better player. At the same time anyone propping him up using his series against a Doughty-Less Kings when Matthews was arguably the best player in the series against a much better team is being quite stupid themself.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

Worst team was Nashville followed closely by Dallas.
This Kings team doesn't beat Dallas with Doughty out. they maybe beat Nashville but only because Saros was out too. they were without question either the worst or second worst team in the playoffs.

Last edited:

DraiInSeiderKuch

May 5, 2022
This Kings team doesn't beat Dallas with doughty out. they maybe beat Nashville but only because Saros was out too. they were without question either the worst or second worst team in the playoffs.
Dallas had a negative differential in goals.... That is unheard of. Kings prob beat Leafs too. Better luck next year!

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
McDavid's a better player. At the same time anyone propping him up using his series against a Doughty-Less Kings when Matthews was arguably the best player in the series against a much better team is being quite stupid themself.

Matthews has had plenty of soft opponents in the first round to do exactly what McDavid just did. Cope more.

DraiInSeiderKuch

May 5, 2022
Sure but the Kings barely made the playoffs and lost their 1D. Also speaks a lot about your character and/or hockey knowledge throwing in the Barb about the Kings.
Matthews wasn't even the best player on his line Marner was.

McDavid also demolishes Doughty, has his whole career, Doughty talks about it often. If he was back he McDavid most likely scores even more.

Better luck next year dude! Only like 350 days away hehe

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Matthews has had plenty of soft opponents in the first round to do exactly what McDavid just did. Cope more.
He just had a great series against the back to back cup winners. He had a bad series against Montreal but has been more than fine in the playoffs most other years, against much better teams than this iteration of the Kings to boot. Sure we lost but everyone bashing him right now is just out to lunch, including you.

Matthews wasn't even the best player on his line Marner was.
Better luck next year.... Again.....
I assure you most people don't think that.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
He just had a great series against the back to back cup winners.

Nice, did he lead the Leafs out of the first round this time?

He had a bad series against Montreal but has been more than fine in the playoffs most other years, against much better teams than this iteration of the Kings to boot.

Oh so Toronto made it to the second round in one of those years due to his efforts, yes?

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
He just had a great series against the back to back cup winners. He had a bad series against Montreal but has been more than fine in the playoffs most other years, against much better teams than this iteration of the Kings to boot. Sure we lost but everyone bashing him right now is just out to lunch.

I assure you most people don't think that.
4 points in his last 5 games with a -3 is a good series? Best player in the series? Really?

The correct post would be "he had a good first 2 games then didn't show up when the team needed him to"

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad