• Matthews + Nylander

Votes: 148 68.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
If McDavid was a leaf and Matthews was a Oiler, you wouldn't be saying that.
And i bet the oilers fans would be saying the opposite as well, we are all Bias. Mcdavid is definitely better than Matthews right now and looks like he will be for most of their careers but that doesnt mean there wont be seasons where Matthews is better. Crosby is the best player in the world but hasnt been the best player every season since he made the league.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Matthews is the 4th or 5th best forward in the league at worst, and at best could be going head to head with Crosby or McDavid for best player in the world.

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
Matthews beating McDavid in a poll??? All it took was adding a top young forward to go along with Matthews and.... nothing to go along with McDavid....

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Matthews beating McDavid in a poll??? All it took was adding a top young forward to go along with Matthews and.... nothing to go along with McDavid....
it's a team game. I dont think any Leafs fans care if Matthews is better than McDavid as long as our team is better

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
And i bet the oilers fans would be saying the opposite as well, we are all Bias. Mcdavid is definitely better than Matthews right now and looks like he will be for most of their careers but that doesnt mean there wont be seasons where Matthews is better. Crosby is the best player in the world but hasnt been the best player every season since he made the league.

I don't quite understand the inferiority complex of some of these posters. McDavid being the better player will not stop the Leafs from winning cups.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Apologies then, it just seems like a very unfair poll designed to let Leafs fans pat themselves on the back. Why not make it Matthews + Nylander vs. McDavid and Puljujarvi or something?
not sure. I guess the OP wanted to gauge the gap between McDavid and Matthews now

LaymanX

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
McDavid has a generational skill set. The ability to turn on the afterburners with the vision + hands to go with that ability.

I still voted for Matthews however. His elite grinder skill set will i) age better ii) be more effective in the playoffs when there is no space

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Gotta go with the 2 player option. McDavid's still better than Matthews, but the gap is close enough that adding another top line player in Nylander tilts the poll in their favor.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
easily the pair from Toronto. No slap on McDavid. Once everyone has deals it'll be interesting to see how much money per point the pair get vs McDavid.

Much as McDavid is clearly special in a non hyperbole way as others have said Matthews isn't merely a really good first liner--all indications look to me he'll be a top 5 player much of his career. You can't slap a sure thing first liner on top of that and expect McDavid alone to provide more value.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Matthews + Nylander >> Lemieux AINEC... rookie Matthews had almost as many goals as rookie Lemieux despite the 80s having drastically higher scoring. Matthews would of hit 60 goals in his rookie year if he played in the 80s, and would probably would hit 80+ in his prime like Lemieux did.
Are you trying to say Matthews is a better goal scorer than Lemieux? Better player?

Reactions: NickLidstrom

Chef de Cuisine

Mar 15, 2015
I am not saying McDavid is not insanely skilled, because he is...but Matthews is the real deal.
My POV is that Matthews will be the 2nd best player in the league, but after McDavid, and I really don't see any possibility thus far that Matthews will be better. I could be wrong, so we'll see. Really though, I'm pretty sure Matthews is a lock for #2, I can't think of anyone that'll be better.

Reactions: loyaltotheend
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $3,470.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain