McDavid Vs MacKinnon (CONTRACT INCLUDED)?

McDavid Vs MacKinnon (CONTRACT INCLUDED)?

• Total voters

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
People act like McDavid is 10 times better than the next best player. He's better than MacKinnon, but not an extra 6 million dollars a year better.

I think people may be assuming McDavid will be great longer than MacKinnon will stay at his current level. He's really done nothing yet to suggest he won't have an extraordinary career. As far as MacKinnon goes: We've seen an amazing player for a season and a half, but he wasn't anything special in '15, '16 or '17.

If you compare MacKinnon to former first overall picks: Lecavalier had some underwhelming seasons before putting together a couple of elite seasons and then he regressed. On the other hand, Thornton took his game to another level in his sixth season and he's one of the best forwards of his generation. Hopefully MacKinnon will be more like Joe than Vinny, but we'll have to see where his career goes.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
People act like McDavid is 10 times better than the next best player. He's better than MacKinnon, but not an extra 6 million dollars a year better.

I think you're missing a larger point. McDavid is just more of a sure thing. You basically know you're gonna get Sidney Crosby level production for a decade barring a career altering/ending injury. MacKinnon isn't such a sure thing, he only broke out last year. Is he here to stay, I don't know. Will he have some more down years like other elite players have, maybe. Might he even fade like someone like Jason Spezza did in his late 20's, again maybe.

It's not as much "McDavid's current level of play is 6M more per year than Nate's" rather paying 6M more the known commodity and a guy you know is gonna be the elite of the elite every single year. Maybe MacKinnon will be too, but Ill pay the extra 6 for Connor for the stress of not worrying.

And any other GM / management team would have been able to build a cup team around McDavid and his deal but Chiarelli destroyed the franchise with his trades.

Reactions: GlitchMarner

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I think you're missing a larger point. McDavid is just more of a sure thing. You basically know you're gonna get Sidney Crosby level production for a decade barring a career altering/ending injury. MacKinnon isn't such a sure thing, he only broke out last year. Is he here to stay, I don't know. Will he have some more down years like other elite players have, maybe. Might he even fade like someone like Jason Spezza did in his late 20's, again maybe.

It's not as much "McDavid's current level of play is 6M more per year than Nate's" rather paying 6M more the known commodity and a guy you know is gonna be the elite of the elite every single year. Maybe MacKinnon will be too, but Ill pay the extra 6 for Connor for the stress of not worrying.

And any other GM / management team would have been able to build a cup team around McDavid and his deal but Chiarelli destroyed the franchise with his trades.

Yeah, basically this. If MacKinnon ends up being to McDavid something like what Malkin is to Crosby, then he's not $6 mil per season less valuable, but I don't know if you take that gamble considering where he was two or three seasons ago.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
McDavid > Mackinnon but taking their contracts into account? It's MacKinnon easily. How is McDavid winning this poll lol.

How in any way is this MacKinnon easily? I can't tell if this is blinded bias or just sarcasm...

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
I hate all these polls where they expect you to make a decision based off certain information yet don't include it in their thread.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
My point exactly. I will take MacK + a player who makes around 6.2 million per season like Hall/Scheifele/Marchand over just McDavid any day... The skill gap between MacKinnon and McDavid isn't that massive.

That's not the way it works. You don't get to look around the league and choose elite players on great contracts to replace the difference in cap space with. None of those players sign for those deals today.

How much of the gap would you notice if you switched them? That's speculation, of course, but I believe there would be a noticeable difference.

HockeyFan100

Oct 7, 2012
How in any way is this MacKinnon easily? I can't tell if this is blinded bias or just sarcasm...

Yikes.

That's not the way it works. You don't get to look around the league and choose elite players on great contracts to replace the difference in cap space with. None of those players sign for those deals today.

How much of the gap would you notice if you switched them? That's speculation, of course, but I believe there would be a noticeable difference.

Well if you want a more realistic approach - you can use that cap space to help re-sign one of your good players long term.... Like Rantanen on the Avs.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
One for one, McDavid for sure, contract included. You're talking an Art Ross, Hart, potentially Rocket caliber player. As awesome as MacKinnon is, McDavid is the choice here.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $370.00