McDavid Vs MacKinnon (CONTRACT INCLUDED)?

McDavid Vs MacKinnon (CONTRACT INCLUDED)?

• Total voters

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
McDavid because he is the best player in the world. I’m factoring in contracts to see if I want 7 years of McDavid or 4 years of MacKinnon? MacKinnon is on a steal of a contract, but he is not on the same level as McDavid. And if I hypothetically get to resign MacKinnon, he would be more expensive than McDavid the final 3 years of McDavid’s contract.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Contract length is a thing... Also, I'd much rather have some ELC 4th liners instead of 3mil 4th liners than skimp on the top talent.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Let's see:

1. McDavid is 1.5 years younger

2. McDavid has 2 art ross in 3 years (may have won in year 1 if not for injury, was within pace).

3. MacKinnon has played fantastic last year (McDavid still better) and this year (McDavid still better) - yet before that his consistency was very troubling. Some disappointing years. He's great right now, but looking long-term consistency, it's harder to project based on his early struggles.

4. McDavid is signed for 3 extra years. You're guaranteed to have him for at least 3 extra years than MacKinnon, since UFA is always a bit of a gamble.

5. (This is by far the most important one) You can do less than you think with 6M$ in cap space. As a Habs fan I can confirm that first hand - we've had ~10M$ in extra cap space 2 years running. There's no 6M$ UFA you can sign that grows on trees that 'makes up the difference between MacKinnon and McDavid'.

Bottom line - pick the better player, the one more likely to keep on getting better and widening the gap, the one more likely to remain better longer based on age, the one more likely to remain consistently better based on past track record, and the one that is signed longer and you're guaranteed to keep for more years upfront.

No brainer.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
MacKinnon is a beast right now, but it's hard to tell if he'll be more like Lecavalier (great only briefly) or Thornton (a first ballot HHOF'er with a long prime) or somewhere in between.

McDavid was far superior to MacKinnon in their first three seasons and is still the better player. I expect him to have a better prime and career if he doesn't suffer any serious injuries.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Mcdavid vs Mackinnon is an easy win for Connor

Now factor in that he's locked down for almost double the term and this should be a landslide

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
McDavid > Mackinnon but taking their contracts into account? It's MacKinnon easily. How is McDavid winning this poll lol.
The MacKinnon contract ends after 22-23, so why the hell should people choose the worse player just because he has 4 years left on a cheaper contract. If anything that contract is massively overrated in this poll.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
For the first four years, Mackinnon has a better contract but is the lesser player. From years 5-7, McDavid will have the better contract and is the better player.

Easily McDavid.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
People act like McDavid is 10 times better than the next best player. He's better than MacKinnon, but not an extra 6 million dollars a year better.
What are the Avs doing with the extra cap space? We have over 12 million in unused cap space right now. You don't choose the worse player just because its cheaper for 4 years.

jvcjdudu jcycyxjene

Nov 11, 2014
Denver
What are the Avs doing with the extra cap space? We have over 12 million in unused cap space right now. You don't choose the worse player just because its cheaper for 4 years.
Well for one we have Rantanen coming off his ELC, Zadorov needs a new deal, Girard will need one relatively soon. Mack's caphit gives the Avs management far more flexibility in signing current core players + perhaps acquiring new ones if they want to diverge from the 'patient' route. Spending to the ceiling (like the Oilers have done) isnt always the best move.

Reactions: HockeyFan100

HockeyFan100

Oct 7, 2012
People act like McDavid is 10 times better than the next best player. He's better than MacKinnon, but not an extra 6 million dollars a year better.

My point exactly. I will take MacK + a player who makes around 6.2 million per season like Hall/Scheifele/Marchand over just McDavid any day... The skill gap between MacKinnon and McDavid isn't that massive.

Reactions: RareDangles

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
My point exactly. I will take MacK + a player who makes around 6.2 million per season like Hall/Scheifele/Marchand over just McDavid any day... The skill gap between MacKinnon and McDavid isn't that massive.
Why make the assumption that the 6 mil will get you an underpaid star player? Most likely that extra money will go to a slightly overpaid UFA, if it is even used.

HockeyFan100

Oct 7, 2012
Why make the assumption that the 6 mil will get you an underpaid star player? Most likely that extra money will go to a slightly overpaid UFA, if it is even used.

And why make the assumption it would go to an overpaid UFA? It can go either way mate. Regardless, 6mil is a big deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad