McDavid vs Crosby stylistically

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I fully expect McDavid's style of play to change rather significantly down the road. He's probably going to put on some more muscle, slow the tempo down a bit and become more patient and less exciting. However spectacular he is, his curent version is still somewhat careless and naive and would probably make him way too exposed to physical punishment in the long run.

Most likely. MacKinnon has already done this to a large degree. People also rarely mention that Crosby, during his first three years, was very explosive on the rush and was among the top skaters in the NHL. High ankle sprain and increased muscle mass changed Crosby's style.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
To me it's an Apples vs Oranges comparison. The two are completely different from each other.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Just gotta wait till McDavid gets his man strength.. Not sure he'll ever be as good as Sid with the puck down low around the boards but his skating is special

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
Stylistically, there aren't many similarities. Crosby is an elite grinder, while McDavid's ability to burn players with speed reminds me of Bure.

The thing they share is the passing and hockey IQ, mostly. Otherwise, I wouldn't draw too many comparisons between them.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They're really not similar at all. McDavid is a fast and finesse type of player, Crosby is a grinder with an insane amount of skill. McDavid plays like Kane, there aren't any comparables to Crosby.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
They have some sutle similarities. They both have the ability to find a man in high traffic. They both have the ability to find open space on the ice and use it to their own or their linemates advantage.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I fully expect McDavid's style of play to change rather significantly down the road. He's probably going to put on some more muscle, slow the tempo down a bit and become more patient and less exciting. However spectacular he is, his curent version is still somewhat careless and naive and would probably make him way too exposed to physical punishment in the long run.

Yeah McDavid's speed is his biggest skill right now, if he can keep his legs and stay healthy he should be ok, but if he suffers a knee injury we will have to see if he can play a different way. To answer the OP I do not think Crosby and Mcdavid play like each other at all at 19

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Stylistically, there aren't many similarities. Crosby is an elite grinder, while McDavid's ability to burn players with speed reminds me of Bure.

The thing they share is the passing and hockey IQ, mostly. Otherwise, I wouldn't draw too many comparisons between them.

It's funny because I remember announcers drawing comparisons between 19 year old Crosby and Bure. The main reason being his skating, hands and quick release infront of the net. 19 year old Crosby was far different stylistically than current Crosby. McDavid isn't nearly as dangerous in the offensive zone yet as Crosby is or ever was, he's not even on Kane's level in that regard. He's hands down the most dangerous player on the rush, and once he builds more strength he'll be elite downlow and along the boards because his hockey IQ is every bit as good as Crosby's IMO.

Last edited:

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
McDavid definitely focuses on speed and going around his opponents, He isnt small or weak by any means but he cant really hemm opponents into their zone by him self on the halfboards (unless he is given space to move)

Just my two cents

Mcdavid is not strong dude. When he gets hit he doesn't absorb it at all yet.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
There is only one thing I really wished for with McDavid. I thought he deserved to stay in the area and get drafted by, Bufallo. Being in proximate of Erie.

That would have been perfect. For me and the many who saw him play for the Erie Otters.

On topic: It has been said by me and others, they don't compare stylistically.

Maybe when Sid was younger a little when Sid used his speed more recklessly.

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
It's funny because I remember announcers drawing comparisons between 19 year old Crosby and Bure. The main reason being his skating, hands and quick release infront of the net. 19 year old Crosby was far different stylistically than current Crosby. McDavid isn't nearly as dangerous in the offensive zone yet as Crosby is or ever was, he's not even on Kane's level in that regard. He's hands down the most dangerous player on the rush, and once he builds more strength he'll be elite downlow and along the boards because his hockey IQ is every bit as good as Crosby's IMO.

I don't see him becoming as grindy as Crosby. Doesn't have the same body shape...specifically Crosby's tree trunk legs and bottom. :)

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I don't see him becoming as grindy as Crosby. Doesn't have the same body shape...specifically Crosby's tree trunk legs and bottom. :)

Oh, definitely not. He will get stronger though and will always have that reach advantage. Who knows how his shot could develop over the years as well.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
There is only one thing I really wished for with McDavid. I thought he deserved to stay in the area and get drafted by, Bufallo. Being in proximate of Erie.

That would have been perfect. For me and the many who saw him play for the Erie Otters.

On topic: It has been said by me and others, they don't compare stylistically.

Maybe when Sid was younger a little when Sid used his speed more recklessly.

IMO McDavid going to Edmonton is perfect because it correlates with the Penguins having Lemeiux and Crosby as their past and present and the Oilers with Gretzky and McDavid as their past and present. :naughty::sarcasm: Out of all the teams with the highest odds to draft him, Edmonton was the organization that could provide him the best linemates and opportunity. He has more talent around him than Eichel has in Buffalo IMO.

Just gotta wait till McDavid gets his man strength.. Not sure he'll ever be as good as Sid with the puck down low around the boards but his skating is special

It's mind-blowing to me that McDavid is still only 19 and that he can get even faster and stronger on his skates.

As for his style, he is definitely completely different from Crosby. The only thing they have in common is that they're both generational talents.

McDavid is closest to Pavel Bure with more of a focus on playmaking rather than goalscoring. I think in a few more years, when he develops a better shot and becomes stronger on his skates, he'll become a much more dangerous goal scorer who could be a threat for the Rocket Richard.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Mcdavid is slightly more skilled and faster. While Crosby has amazing skill along with tremendous strength and a desire down low that cannot be denied. I think both have equal hockey sense and equal acceleration but Mcdavid's top end speed is faster, but we must not forget how fast Crosby was when he entered the league. Crosby has the better shot at this point but that was something he worked on. Crosby worked on everything he "lacked" in especially the little things like faceoffs and improving his two way game.

If Mcdavid has that desire and it looks like he does he could be something else. I don't expect Mcdavid to be the player down low like Crosby but he'll be the bigger threat off the rush maybe make his living off the half wall. Mcdavid is also gonna get stronger and possibly not done growing. Crosby is what 5'11" 210 of solid muscle. Mcdavid looks like he could top out at 6'2" 210-215. Man both are just great players Crosby is still probably the best player in the world for the next 2 to 3 seasons, but Mcdavid will take that crown. Really hope Sid's concussion problems don't effect his career in the long run. It would be a shame and all hockey fans will miss out.

We're lucky to have Mcdavid as well as some of the other tremendous young talent between Eichel, Matthews, Ekblad, Laine etc. I could go on but the talent level in the league seems like it's taking a jump. Getting those 5 players especially within 3 drafts seems special, rare or unusal. Usually players of this caliber who can just step into the league as teenagers happen once a draft or every other or even once every couple drafts. Just my opinion though.

Last edited:

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
This.

Most likely. MacKinnon has already done this to a large degree. People also rarely mention that Crosby, during his first three years, was very explosive on the rush and was among the top skaters in the NHL. High ankle sprain and increased muscle mass changed Crosby's style.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Crosby will age better than McDavid, since the latter relies too much on his supreme speed to play the way he currently does.This is not to say McDavid won't adapt though.Just that stylistically, Crosby has a better chance of playing at a high level throughout his 30s.

I'm failry sure Crosby has much stronger legs and balance too, but someone can correct me on that.Sid has been the best along-the-board player for years.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Crosby will age better than McDavid, since the latter relies too much on his supreme speed to play the way he currently does.This is not to say McDavid won't adapt though.Just that stylistically, Crosby has a better chance of playing at a high level throughout his 30s.

I'm failry sure Crosby has much stronger legs and balance too, but someone can correct me on that.Sid has been the best along-the-board player for years.

By far.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

I actually think it's the opposite. Fast players generally have longevity because even when they lose their legs a bit they are still able to keep up. Crosby with his injury history.....I doubt he plays deep into his 30's.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
In that play, he has his head up the entire time and looks at Hall the entire time; while he may have made a wide move around the defenceman, he has plenty of room between himself and the opposing players to skate in without being impeded.

He is an excellent passer, but his passing becomes significantly less impressive when his teammates are in his blind spots.

I have never seen him make a play like this:

He makes too many mistakes when he attempts to make blind passes. For example, I've seen him try to blindly throw the puck into the middle of the ice in the neutral zone for his teammate only for it to go to no one. He isn't great when he is forced to make blind passes. He has guessed incorrectly far too many times for me to consider his vision in the same class as players such as Crosby and Kane.

He draws players out of position and feathers passes through lanes with pinpoint accuracy. That is his skill set as far as passing is concerned. He needs his eyes in order to recognize those plays, though.

McDavid has one of best iqs in league. McDavid plays alot like Gretzky in that he makes a ton of no look passes. If you watch him on the rush he will almost always generate a chance. Whether by getting a shot or making insane pass

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

This is a valid argument but McDavid still has a lot of time to physically mature and get stronger.

And McDavid does abuse his speed advantage over others but I think he would still be an elite player even if he wasn't extremely fast. He has the hands (one of the best in the league), IQ, playmaking ability, vision, etc. that make him a special player.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
In that play, he has his head up the entire time and looks at Hall the entire time; while he may have made a wide move around the defenceman, he has plenty of room between himself and the opposing players to skate in without being impeded.

He is an excellent passer, but his passing becomes significantly less impressive when his teammates are in his blind spots.

I have never seen him make a play like this:

He makes too many mistakes when he attempts to make blind passes. For example, I've seen him try to blindly throw the puck into the middle of the ice in the neutral zone for his teammate only for it to go to no one. He isn't great when he is forced to make blind passes. He has guessed incorrectly far too many times for me to consider his vision in the same class as players such as Crosby and Kane.

He draws players out of position and feathers passes through lanes with pinpoint accuracy. That is his skill set as far as passing is concerned. He needs his eyes in order to recognize those plays, though.

This is so funny lol Connor has the most elite vision i have seen in a long time and he sees all at full and half speed. He has proven his elite vision over and over on many plays in the nhl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad