Post-Game Talk: McDavid Scores! We still lose.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
McD will be the best player on the team by Remebrance Day. That says more about the rest of the team then about the kid.

Unless there is a marked improvement in their play, to a level they have never shown together, at least two of the Hall cluster are gone.

And that's a good thing.

Forget their draft positions. They're just not that good.

Who's not that good? The winger with two seasons in the top 10 in points not that long ago? The winger who consistently puts up 60+ points? The center who's steadily improved his game against the toughest competition? I would argue that the supporting cast is what has been just not that good.
I'm fine with any of them being moved for D but saying they're not good players is false.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
^Hemsky was flying last night, it was nice to watch.

The frustrating thing with Hall is he is often either the best or the worse player on the ice. He needs to find a way to contribute positively when he can't find offense.

I think our offense will sort itself out eventually, but man our defense stinks. Hopefully Reinhart can provide some consistency, because playing Ference or Davidson with Gryba is asking for trouble. We desperately need at least one more top 3 guy for our defense to be somewhat passable. At least Klefbom looks good, very impressed by his play so far.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
The problem with Hall is he still thinks he's the best player and he can do everything himself. He needs to understand his role. Keep the play simple kid

I sorta agree with part of this, but not really with the backhanded remark that Hall thinks he's the best player on the team.

He does have to stop trying to do everything himself though. But it certainly does not mean he thinks he's the best player on the team. It's more of the "take the world on your shoulders" syndrome. There could also be trust issues involved as well, but that's another topic all together.

/psychological assessment of Taylor Hall

@ UpTheIrons...after that remark, you're gonna need some of this:

Last edited:

duul

Jun 21, 2010

The frustrating thing with Hall is he is often either the best or the worse player on the ice. He needs to find a way to contribute positively when he can't find offense.

I think our offense will sort itself out eventually, but man our defense stinks. Hopefully Reinhart can provide some consistency, because playing Ference or Davidson with Gryba is asking for trouble. We desperately need at least one more top 3 guy for our defense to be somewhat passable. At least Klefbom looks good, very impressed by his play so far.

The hilarious part is that Reinhart couldn't even make the Islanders last year, and he looked to be one of if not our best defencemen this year.

Our org is so ****.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

Ya, despite the one giveaway I am happy with Sekara. Sekara and Klef look fine. The rest just bleeds. Fayne is really a bottom pairing guy, starting to realize MacT over paid him as well, surprise suprise. Schultz is ok, looked great in the pre season, but at least is moving the puck. We are missing a top 4 guy that can actually move the puck to replace Fayne, and we are missing a bottom guy, which is really easy, just play Rienhart.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
If he hadn't played people would have crapped on Hall as well and saying he wasn't sick but had a hangover.

Funny thing is, I actually saw people use the hangover comment as a reason why he didn't attend practice. Its silly.

well if it isn't, it should be

If its in regards to his games so far, then that's acceptable by me. But him having apparent character problems and all of that other nonsense is BS.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I agree. What does that matter? :laugh:

We have to work with what we have. Currently, we have no top pairing defencemen. Do you think we should wait around until we draft Chychrun and hope he comes in and dominates?

In my opinion, I want Chiarelli to do to us what he did to Boston. Create a solid defence.

We have centremen. We have McDavid, and he can choose between RNH and Draisaitl. Bring in players using assets like Hall and Yakupov and RNH. Trade for players like prime Lucic and players like Dubinsky who can play both C and wing in a pinch. Trade for these players who know their role and will do everything it takes in our zone to get the puck to McDavid and then get open.

Get defencemen who will make a breakout pass. That Boston team was a thing of beauty, and is what you should strive for if you aren't giften Norris Dmen and art ross calibre wingers.

We weren't fortune enough to get both. We have the wingers, in fact too many IMO. Let's balance out our roster. Let's get players who know how to win hockey games.

Good post. I agree.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I always hope the entire team collect themselves and finally realize the proper plays to make in all circumstances. It's what the coach has been trying to instill into them from day one. If some players cannot adjust after 3 years then they should be moved.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
What a different place this would be if we'd played the exact same games but gotten a few bounces and gone 3-0. We'd be a dynasty already.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The Oilers have only played like **** for one game.

Admittedly, it was the one game where they had no reason to play like ****.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Hall couldve easily had a couple powerplay points last night despite his struggles.
McDavid missed on a nice feed..

Im done with Davidson and Gazdic... Both should easily clear waivers after last night.

Looks like we are just delaying the inevitable... Hall-RNH-Hendricks? really?
Draisaitl would look good at that spot and Nurse-Gryba pairing would make Sekera-Fayne our 3rd pairing as early as the 10 game mark..

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Hall couldve easily had a couple powerplay points last night despite his struggles.
McDavid missed on a nice feed..

Im done with Davidson and Gazdic... Both should easily clear waivers after last night.

Looks like we are just delaying the inevitable... Hall-RNH-Hendricks? really?
Draisaitl would look good at that spot and Nurse-Gryba pairing would make Sekera-Fayne our 3rd pairing as early as the 10 game mark..

I'd be hesitant to waive Gazdic.

That means more Klinkhammer and he's been an absolute dumpster fire.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Wins make people freak out less. Even if we are ****.

yeah....i mean we wouldn't be pulling our hair out....but if we won and the team still didn't seem to be meshing offensively, maintaining a dangerous cycle, getting shots from dangerous areas, running a powerplay that wasn't lightyears dead and gone, using a disjointed breakout most of the time...etc....everyone would still be asking for changes of some sort.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Poor Connor. Kid has so much pressure on him. He can't even enjoy his first NHL goal because his team is so bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00