Post-Game Talk: McDavid out? Have no fear, Melissa is here!

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Well the powerplays do seem to dry up for the Oilers later in games they're winning. Also, it sure as **** looks like other teams can do just about whatever they want to Oilers players when the Oilers are on the powerplay. The refs know they're allowed to give the Oilers 5 on 3's right? It's not against the rules for the #1PP in the league to get a 5 on 3 as far as I know.
Gotta manage those games!

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Aho went head to head with Draisaitl this afternoon, two studs trading shots all game. In the end, it was fitting Draisaitl used his patented backhand sauce to dummy Aho for the winner.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Well the powerplays do seem to dry up for the Oilers later in games they're winning. Also, it sure as **** looks like other teams can do just about whatever they want to Oilers players when the Oilers are on the powerplay. The refs know they're allowed to give the Oilers 5 on 3's right? It's not against the rules for the #1PP in the league to get a 5 on 3 as far as I know.

Today was just absurd. After a Yamamoto scored, surprise surprise, the refs refused to call the most blatant of the blatant calls.

Reactions: Mc5RingsAndABeer

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Thats coming from a Flames fan....so at least its understandable. We see that kind of stuff on here about the Flames all the time.
So no news there IMO.

What stands out to me is that we have our fair share of abject negativity on here too....by so called fans of the team.
Someone should create a thread with all of the cynical posts created by 'Oilers fans' on here.
See how many of these posters are brave enough to respond and eat some crow regarding their overtly negative predictions for this team. :nod:

Rusoilers

Дмитрий Самуроков 38
Oct 9, 2019
Siberia
Thats coming from a Flames fan....so at least its understandable. We see that kind of stuff on here about the Flames all the time.
So no news there IMO.

What stands out to me is that we have our fair share of abject negativity on here too....by so called fans of the team.
Someone should create a thread with all of the cynical posts created by 'Oilers fans' on here.
See how many of these posters are brave enough to respond to their overtly negative predictions for this team. :nod:

I found it funny how many hoops he went through. The oilers are this and this but the fact is we win without mcdavid and are better than his team. He is just coping and in pain.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Not silly to say at all... 100% true that this team, with connor out, has played "cleaner" hockey with more urgency and effort and are sharper with the defensive attention to details and always trying to make sure to be on the D side of the play and grind and work out from there instead of hoping and cheating on the wrong side of the puck too often.

There's no doubt Connor has an influence on this because he does tend to be on the wrong side of the puck very often looking to get a jump on the offence.

There's so much urgency to get at the opposing puck carrier or getting there to disrupt opponent shots. It's reducing the danger of those opponent's shots from supposed "danger areas" when the shot is rushed and when oil players get even a bit of a stick on their stick etc.

Basically the standards for effort, defence, team play and attention to details have really ramped up in the past four games and it's a complete team buy in right now. We need this to continue when connor gets back AND we need Connor himself to fully buy in and clean up the flaws in his game.

I think this injury was maybe actually a positive for this team in the long run. It is teaching this team how they need to play at all times and as well i hope connor and watching and taking notes as to how he needs to buy in too to a full team game when he gets back.

This is why i always say culture trumps talent. If you have the buy in to proper play you will get the most out of each individual and the team as a collective.
I like this comment but i will say i think with McDavid the team has likely encouraged some of his aggressiveness offensively as he can get back when needed and when your that good its tough not to go for it a little too often. I do think though that McDavid should see this and hopefully realize that if he's very strong defensively he can rely on his game breaking speed to provide enough offense while neutralizing other teams best as opposed to trying to outscore them. That can work with Draisaitl but not so much with bottom 6 help. This stretch has been huge for growing this group and getting even more buy in.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I found it funny how many hoops he went through. The oilers are this and this but the fact is we win without mcdavid and are better than his team. He is just coping and in pain.

Oh for sure.
Its to be expected though.
Most Flames fans arent going to give this team their due credit....that leads to the verbal gymnastics in the quote you posted.

Just coping and in pain...perfect summation by you. :nod:

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Does anyone know why knocking the puck off of the top of the net isn't a high stick? If it was just a missed call than can any call that my have happened after Williams knocked it off be challenged?
It didn't go in the net so the height is the player's shoulders, not the crossbar. Since the crossbar is 4 feet off the ground every player (except maybe Gaudreau) can play it off the top of the net.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
It's getting absurd. NHL.com only has data back to 09-10 but among teams with a 25% PP the Oilers have the fewest by a mile. Tampa last year got 18 of them

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
So no news there IMO.

See how many of these posters are brave enough to respond and eat some crow regarding their overtly negative predictions for this team. :nod:

I’m planning on it at the end of the year. I’ve saved up some real gems this season from two morons in particular who are going to look like complete fools when all their stupid takes are in one place for all to see. Of course it won’t deter them but it will be funny for the rest of us.

what’s that old saying? Being stupid is like being dead, you don’t know that you’re dead it’s just pain for the people around you.

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
k6grYOw.gif
It’s AzzEatnSeason boyz

Reactions: TB12

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Does anyone know why knocking the puck off of the top of the net isn't a high stick? If it was just a missed call than can any call that my have happened after Williams knocked it off be challenged?

I suspect it wasn’t whistled down because a Hurricane didn’t touch the puck next.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I’m planning on it at the end of the year. I’ve saved up some real gems this season from two morons in particular who are going to look like complete fools when all their stupid takes are in one place for all to see
Just to let you know that ‘call out’ posts and threads are frowned on here. I was told directly. But maybe that only applies to the guy who lectured the board on what a big stud Griffin Reinhart was going to be in this league. :dunno:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I’m planning on it at the end of the year. I’ve saved up some real gems this season from two morons in particular who are going to look like complete fools when all their stupid takes are in one place for all to see. Of course it won’t deter them but it will be funny for the rest of us.

what’s that old saying? Being stupid is like being dead, you don’t know that you’re dead it’s just pain for the people around you.

I look forward to this thread. Haha. Hopefully stickied

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Just to let you know that ‘call out’ posts and threads are frowned on here. I was told directly. But maybe that only applies to the guy who lectured the board on what a big stud Griffin Reinhart was going to be in this league. :dunno:
As someone that cheers for a WHL team that isn't the Oil Kings, the lovefest that Reinhart got was intolerable. I can't believe that Vegas took him instead of something useful

Reactions: harpoon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad