Injury Report: McDavid out 1-2 weeks

SnooPac

Sep 13, 2008
It is possible he asked for a trade, and they are taking a look at how the team does without him, so they can properly assess what kind of package to ask for in return….
cast.thee.out.gif

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Am I misreading his tone, or is there some sort of history or?

How does it work? He has to play a certain number of games? Was there a chance he wouldn’t before now or is that money basically guaranteed even if McDavid didn’t miss time on a limited personnel roster?
Think he was being pissy with drai instead of asking real questions.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Best player continues to get manhandled all the time with little to no repercussions, finally results in an actual injury, and the league still won't do anything to protect these players. They continue to protect the goons instead. Garbage league.

Get well soon, Connor!

Uh. He rarely even gets hit. The only dangerous situation for him is another player simply just tripping him because they cant catch him.

Probably a higher chance of McDavid getting hurt going out of his way to hit someone rather than him getting him.

Reactions: Renopucker

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Tonya Harding could pay him a visit after practice.
There's a name I haven't heard in a while. Hollywood couldn't have come up with that whole knee clubbing fiasco :laugh:.

Holland will continue to smash this triangular peg into a hole that doesn't exist through an oak tree. He said so much himself by saying he didn't expect Brown to hit the ground running but does as the season progresses so I fully expect Brown to play beyond 10 games.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Uh. He rarely even gets hit. The only dangerous situation for him is another player simply just tripping him because they cant catch him.

Probably a higher chance of McDavid getting hurt going out of his way to hit someone rather than him getting him.
Connors been getting tagged with more hits this season, more than I've usually noted, and I think he lost a bit of a step because he is reachable now. Not sure if he got dinged in preseason but we haven't seen that top gear. In addition to the accidental hit by Kane Connor was hit in the hip on another play as well that gave him some trouble.

Connor has also been finishing a fair amount of hits. Even though he seldom misses games he doesn't have the same build as Drai to withstand. Its amazing really that he's had so little injury in the past several seasons.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Agreed. And regarding the bolded, they might have continued to do that with him in the lineup anyway
Drai has been leading the team all season and has been around almost all the offense. The McD line was struggling and letting in a lot of GA before McDrai button was pressed again. Just saying of the two Drai was already leading the way.

Reactions: Oilhawks

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Best player continues to get manhandled all the time with little to no repercussions, finally results in an actual injury, and the league still won't do anything to protect these players. They continue to protect the goons instead. Garbage league.

Get well soon, Connor!
The Oilers are soft and lack a true heavyweight. They had one for a few months, and Connor obviously loved him, but Hollands weakness has always been building small soft teams.

Look at the bottom six.

Connor Brown, McLeod, Ryan, Janmark, the oft-injured Holloway. None of these guys are physical or know how to throw a punch.

That is one small, soft bottom six. Pointless, 6'1" Ernie is your tough guy who protects everybody.

Kane is the only forward on the team who knows how to throw a punch (honorable mention to Nuge).

Things don't look good for McDavid or Drai. The abuse will probably go up.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The worst news to me is that we're not using this for cap mitigation. Just a bit longer absence and we could.

The next is that the McD injury keeps Woody around fairly regardless of what team record is upon McD return. It gives an excuse in other words to retain Woody and Manson. That in itself will be a bigger problem than the McD injury itself. The McD injury handcuffs us for half a month. The coaching being retained handcuffs Oilers until we see change.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
This is insane

Holland is a clown

Are many other GMs in the league clowns because of this as well?

This is a dumb NHL rule that a lot of teams, not just the Oilers are a victim of as a result of the 5 year flat cap. All the league has to do is allow an emergency call up when you can't dress 18 skaters, but an adherence to a fundamentalist ideology around the cap is more important than having teams dress the most competitive lineup apparently.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Are many other GMs in the league clowns because of this as well?

This is a dumb NHL rule that a lot of teams, not just the Oilers are a victim of as a result of the 5 year flat cap. All the league has to do is allow an emergency call up when you can't dress 18 skaters, but an adherence to a fundamentalist ideology around the cap is more important than having teams dress the most competitive lineup apparently.
The league can only do what the majority of its owner shareholders would want. Some of whom are perhaps more influential.

Take a historical vein on this. For the Oilers to complain that they are pressed with noses smashed into cap is highly ironic given the Oilers were one of the small market clubs that asked for a low cost fixed cap in the first place and needed the hard cap to survive. I mean that gets forgotten but its was only 18yrs ago and the Oilers have spent most of the time since being in cap trouble, which is frankly ridiculous.

I have zero sympathy for Holland, or the Oilers, or other clubs being in this predicament. Mostly they are because they spend inordinately and negotiate and plan poorly. But more the point theres few other Oilers that would have ANY sympathy or be in favor of changes to again help the Oilers out.

Not surprisingly either as a collection of village idiots has been in charge of this club for a long long time.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Oilers are soft and lack a true heavyweight. They had one for a few months, and Connor obviously loved him, but Hollands weakness has always been building small soft teams.

Look at the bottom six.

Connor Brown, McLeod, Ryan, Janmark, the oft-injured Holloway. None of these guys are physical or know how to throw a punch.

That is one small, soft bottom six. Pointless, 6'1" Ernie is your tough guy who protects everybody.

Kane is the only forward on the team who knows how to throw a punch (honorable mention to Nuge).

Things don't look good for McDavid or Drai. The abuse will probably go up.
f*** Kostin though. We didn't need players like that...<sarcasm>

man, anytime I can have a player that can play and that hits like a mack truck and can fight I have him in the lineup. I would even insert him in topsix from time to time.

more important to get Hollands latest big hope Connor Brown in here.

But yeah, what a weak bottomsix we have. Not only zero production but zero impact on games in anyway. No wonder the club has no identity or is not hard to play against.

The only thing scary about the Oil is McDrai and teams are learning to mitigate even that factor.

Reactions: Mack a doodle doo

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The league can only do what the majority of its owner shareholders would want. Some of whom are perhaps more influential.

Take a historical vein on this. For the Oilers to complain that they are pressed with noses smashed into cap is highly ironic given the Oilers were one of the small market clubs that asked for the cap in the first place and needed the cap to survive. I mean that gets forgotten but its was only 18yrs ago and the Oilers have spent most of the time since in cap trouble, which is frankly ridiculous.

I have zero sympathy for Holland, or the Oilers, or other clubs being in this predicament. Mostly they are because they spend inordinately and negotiate and plan poorly.

Not surprisingly either as a collection of village idiots has been in charge of this club for a long long time.

When the cap is flat this long it just becomes a matter of math to make this outcome inevitable.

GM's could manage themselves out of this predicament, but that would either involve not being competitive, letting all your RFAs with arb rights that are guaranteed significant raises walk, or both. When any player of value that hits RFA arb status is virtually guaranteed a 200%+ raise it is impossible to not have your payroll escalate even with shrewd cap management. $1M in cap raises per year over this long of a time period isn't sufficient to make up the gap. Or you don't have those players and you suck, either or.

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
When the cap is flat this long it just becomes a matter of math to make this outcome inevitable.

GM's could manage themselves out of this predicament, but that would either involve not being competitive, letting all your RFAs with arb rights that are guaranteed significant raises walk, or both. When any player of value that hits RFA arb status is virtually guaranteed a 200%+ raise it is impossible to not have your payroll escalate even with shrewd cap management. $1M in cap raises per year over this long of a time period isn't sufficient to make up the gap. Or you don't have those players and you suck, either or.
All of NJ, Carolina, Detroit, Buffalo, Chicago are putting competitive clubs out on the ice and managing cap fine. The established recipe for success is having consistently good scouting, having a regular pipeline of ELC's come in and have that supplanted with sufficient help.

The Oilers instead exist in perpetual disaster cap model for instance paying for several players they don't even have.

Just look to Detroit presently for what a competent GM can quickly do to turn the fortunes of a club and while having ample cap space and an over flowing roster of players. In addition to rich prospect stable the Wings are sitting players like Petry and Kostin who would be starting with the cap strapped Oil.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
All of NJ, Carolina, Detroit, Buffalo, Chicago are putting competitive clubs out on the ice and managing cap fine. The established recipe for success is having consistently good scouting, having a regular pipeline of ELC's come in and have that supplanted with sufficient help.

The Oilers instead exist in perpetual disaster cap model for instance paying for several players they don't even have.

Just look to Detroit presently for what a competent GM can quickly do to turn the fortunes of a club and while having ample cap space and an over flowing roster of players. In addition to rich prospect stable the Wings are sitting players like Petry and Kostin who would be starting with the cap strapped Oil.

Citing teams that have been in the basement for forever as a model of cap management is interesting. If only we were just coming off a decade of bottom 5 finishes and had top 5 level draft talent on the team in their ELCs, then we could be just like those teams. Carolina is pretty much the only example in the league of a team that is top level competitive and has cap flexibility. That flexibility will probably vanish by this time next season for them, however.

Now if you'll look at teams that are actually comparable to the Oilers (playoffs for multiple straight seasons, key players not on their ELCs, no recent high draft position), you will see that all of them have zero or effectively zero cap space.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Citing teams that have been in the basement for forever as a model of cap management is interesting. If only we were just coming off a decade of bottom 5 finishes and had top 5 level draft talent on the team in their ELCs, then we could be just like those teams. Carolina is pretty much the only example in the league of a team that is top level competitive and has cap flexibility. That flexibility will probably vanish by this time next season for them, however.

Now if you'll look at teams that are actually comparable to the Oilers (playoffs for multiple straight seasons, key players not on their ELCs, no recent high draft position), you will see that all of them have zero or effectively zero cap space.
Granted. but its not like the Oilers ahve been a model of success either on the ice or in cap usage.

lets not forget the Oilers aren't far off an even longer period of bottom feeder futility and that it never took long for the org to be landed into ridiculous cap trouble.

How this basically happens is having a series of less than competent GM's.

In anycase Carolina for example have a longer playoff string than we do.

Even a decently managed org like New Jersey had never had the long playoff absences teh Oilers have had. Indeed the Devils, in the cup final in 2012 only had a decade of downturn and they even made playoffs twice in decade never missing more than 5 seasons. Want me to recount how many seasons in a row the Oilers were bottomfeeders?

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Granted. but its not like the Oilers ahve been a model of success either on the ice or in cap usage.

lets not forget the Oilers aren't far off an even longer period of bottom feeder futility and that it never took long for the org to be landed into ridiculous cap trouble.

How this basically happens is having a series of less than competent GM's.

That doesn't matter when the fruits of those years are all on their second or third contracts.

The Devils also have less than $1M in cap room with one major contributor still on his ELC. Not sure what you're seeing here.

Reactions: TB12

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
f*** Kostin though. We didn't need players like that...<sarcasm>

man, anytime I can have a player that can play and that hits like a mack truck and can fight I have him in the lineup. I would even insert him in topsix from time to time.

more important to get Hollands latest big hope Connor Brown in here.

But yeah, what a weak bottomsix we have. Not only zero production but zero impact on games in anyway. No wonder the club has no identity or is not hard to play against.

The only thing scary about the Oil is McDrai and teams are learning to mitigate even that factor.
The no identity is what bothers me the most outside of mcdrai I have no idea what this team is. A mix of speedy players with little skill or fillers chasing the puck and no creativity. this team has no chemistry or identity, we’re not a fast team we’re not a physical team. We’re a powerplay team.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The no identity is what bothers me the most outside of mcdrai I have no idea what this team is. A mix of speedy players with little skill or fillers chasing the puck and no creativity. this team has no chemistry or identity, we’re not a fast team we’re not a physical team. We’re a powerplay team.
I was being mocked for saying just this in the offseason and that a muck like Connor Brown hardly addressed any of our issues. This team was older, slower, and lacking in physicality. The team got worse in offseason. People didn't want to believe it. you have to look around the league and see what other clubs are doing. Standing still or peddling back in an offseason is not viable in the competitive NHL.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad