McDavid is on a serious run to try and break Gretzky's single season playoff assist record

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I agree to some extent but LOL at Miller. He's always been a shit playoff player and he's having his first barely PPG playoff while playing against a team with no goaltender. Chill out with that scrub
This has to be a joke. I'm not on the Miller > Mcdavid train but this guy has been a f***ing beast. Throw in the bubble run if you want. I'm not going to take his stats when he was buried on New York and TB seriously. This guy is a top 10 player in the NHL today based on his play this season and especially these playoffs.

CN8

May 31, 2010
Canada
Miller has been a beast, not sure where you got shit playoff player idea from since Canucks have rarely made the playoffs in the last decade lol

Also that scrub is responsible for Mcbaby getting only 1 point in 3 games, the best player in the world
Cmon man you just knew you were asking for it. McDavid making Milbaby look like a scrub tonight

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
This has to be a joke. I'm not on the Miller > Mcdavid train but this guy has been a f***ing beast. Throw in the bubble run if you want. I'm not going to take his stats when he was buried on New York and TB seriously. This guy is a top 10 player in the NHL today based on his play this season and especially these playoffs.
I seem to remember all the Vancouver fans wanting miller traded a few years ago because of his “bad attitude” and he was “locker room cancer”, everyone in Vancouver angry at him because he was yelling at a back up goalie, etc. now all of sudden he’s being mentioned in the same breath as Mcdavid? The fickleness of Canucks fans is legendary.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
He's definitely eyeing the assist record. He deserves the Smythe if he breaks it even if Oilers don't make the finals. At this rate he only needs 8 more games. If Oilers make the finals he's also breaking the points record.

One factor that you overlooked in the OP is that Crosby's career high in points in the playoffs is 31. Breaking the assist record would give McDavid more assists than Crosby ever had points in a playoff run! Would be very embarassing for Crosby and just show the insane separation between these two players.
Lmao

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I seem to remember all the Vancouver fans wanting miller traded a few years ago because of his “bad attitude” and he was “locker room cancer”, everyone in Vancouver angry at him because he was yelling at a back up goalie, etc. now all of sudden he’s being mentioned in the same breath as Mcdavid? The fickleness of Canucks fans is legendary.

Reactions: Juxta Position

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He’s gunning for both Gretzky’s assists and points totals for a single run. Going to be interesting to hear it downplayed if he has that kind of Cup winning Conn Smythe run added to his resume. Winning a Cup vaults him into the new Big Five; doing it in that fashion closes the door on anyone else dislodging him from his spot for at least half a century.

Crosby has one of the all-time weakest championship round individual resumes for an all-time talent in hockey and perhaps all of sports history.

The more interesting question is if in just a single SCF appearance, McDavid matches the 2 goals and 12 assists for 14 points that Crosby put up in 19 games over the course of 3 separate SCF wins.

“Era”

The new cop out explanation for why Crosby couldn’t dominate his peers at the level expected of him. Era can’t explain why Crosby managed to lead the playoffs in scoring just once and never during any of the three times the Penguins won the Cup. Era can’t explain why only 1 goal and 2 assists in 7 games long before his supposed transformation into an elite two way forward still allowed him to lift his first Cup, or 1 goal total didn’t keep the Penguins from back to back Cups.
Sounds like someone took Crosby in a fantasy pool here and lost.

Reactions: Beau Knows

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

No, you don't "seem to remember" that.

What you are mis-remembering is a handful of posters that had that opinion that you strangely are now trying to present as "all the Vancouver fans wanting" that.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
McDavid has put up 15 assists in the playoff so far and his Oilers look like the better team in the second round. With both Dallas and Colorado looking weaker than normal there's a good chance McDavid can make the finals this year or at the very least make a a long series of the 3rd round. Now most of you probably think that it's impossible for McDavid to break Gretzky's single season assist record for the playoffs, most of you also probably don't know that Gretzky's single season assist record for the playoffs is really weak with only 31 assists compared to the 163 assists for the regular season. With both Kucherov and Draisaitl being able to put up 27 and 25 assists respectively before, you can't really deny that McDavid could put up 32 assists this year and break the record!

McDavid is also super focused on assists right now, as he has put up 12+68=80 points in his last 39 games played. It's like he's practiced for this moment for several months already! How would you feel if McDavid breaks the record this year? Should he win the Conn Smythe even if he fails to win the cup if he breaks the assist record? I mean how can he not win the Conn Smythe if he breaks the assist record?!

It's exciting to see McDavid performing at such a high level in the playoffs. With 15 assists already, he's certainly on pace to challenge Gretzky's record of 31 assists in a single postseason. Given the context of weaker performances from other teams like Dallas and Colorado, the Oilers do seem to have a strong chance to advance deep into the playoffs.

Comparing McDavid's current pace and his recent regular-season performance, it's clear he's in exceptional form. If he continues at this rate, breaking Gretzky's assist record is within reach. This would be a remarkable achievement, considering the legacy of Gretzky's playoff records.

As for the Conn Smythe Trophy, it typically goes to the most valuable player in the playoffs, and if McDavid breaks the assist record, he'd have a strong case for it, even if the Oilers don't win the Stanley Cup. His contributions are not just in scoring but in playmaking, which can be just as crucial to his team's success. Historically, the Conn Smythe has been awarded to players who have had a significant impact on their team's playoff run, regardless of whether they won the Cup. For instance, players like Jean-Sébastien Giguère and Ron Hextall have won it despite their teams falling short in the finals.

Ultimately, if McDavid continues this level of play and breaks the assist record, it would be hard to argue against him deserving the Conn Smythe, given how central he would have been to the Oilers' performance throughout the playoffs.

• Love
Reactions: Leonardo87

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
It's exciting to see McDavid performing at such a high level in the playoffs. With 15 assists already, he's certainly on pace to challenge Gretzky's record of 31 assists in a single postseason. Given the context of weaker performances from other teams like Dallas and Colorado, the Oilers do seem to have a strong chance to advance deep into the playoffs.

Comparing McDavid's current pace and his recent regular-season performance, it's clear he's in exceptional form. If he continues at this rate, breaking Gretzky's assist record is within reach. This would be a remarkable achievement, considering the legacy of Gretzky's playoff records.

As for the Conn Smythe Trophy, it typically goes to the most valuable player in the playoffs, and if McDavid breaks the assist record, he'd have a strong case for it, even if the Oilers don't win the Stanley Cup. His contributions are not just in scoring but in playmaking, which can be just as crucial to his team's success. Historically, the Conn Smythe has been awarded to players who have had a significant impact on their team's playoff run, regardless of whether they won the Cup. For instance, players like Jean-Sébastien Giguère and Ron Hextall have won it despite their teams falling short in the finals.

Ultimately, if McDavid continues this level of play and breaks the assist record, it would be hard to argue against him deserving the Conn Smythe, given how central he would have been to the Oilers' performance throughout the playoffs.

He is at 19 assists now I believe, Draisaitl has 15.
Nothing against Vancouver, I like the Nucks, but I really hope we get to see at least another round of McDavid.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
More like someone who wasn’t desperate to fill the void left by Gretzky and Lemieux with the next big thing that wasn’t up to the task.
I dunno, having the strongest argument for 5th all time seems up to the task even with the injuries.

I'm a Canucks fan so I'd like to see them win tomorrow but this whole McDavid and drai have to prove it in the playoffs is looking like pure BS.

They have both been hyper elite the last 3 seasons.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
This has to be a joke. I'm not on the Miller > Mcdavid train but this guy has been a f***ing beast. Throw in the bubble run if you want. I'm not going to take his stats when he was buried on New York and TB seriously.
Hell yeah! Miller is a beast, tell em!
This guy is a top 10 player in the NHL today based on his play this season and especially these playoffs.
Uhhhh…what?

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Any word on what's wrong with McDavid?! 3 pointless games against Vancouver, only 9 points in 7 games. A broken bone? Neck injury? Concussion? Mumps?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Any word on what's wrong with McDavid?! 3 pointless games against Vancouver, only 9 points in 7 games. A broken bone? Neck injury? Concussion? Mumps?

His voice sounded like shit post game 7 interview, I wonder if he has the flu or something.

Also - he's still on pace for ~42 points in 24 games. Only Gretzky and Lemieux have ever done better in a single playoff run. I think there's a small, tiny chance he might still be doing ok all things considered...

• Love
Reactions: DitchMarner

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
His voice sounded like shit post game 7 interview, I wonder if he has the flu or something.

Also - he's still on pace for ~42 points in 24 games. Only Gretzky and Lemieux have ever done better in a single playoff run. I think there's a small, tiny chance he might still be doing ok all things considered...
2 goals aint pretty. Thats for sure

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
2 goals aint pretty. Thats for sure

Maybe, but 21 points through 2 rounds is a good consolation prize.

But - I still agree with you. As good as McDavid has been, he'll have to do even better in rounds 3 and 4 if Oilers are to win the cup, and if he's going to win the smythe.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Maybe, but 21 points through 2 rounds is a good consolation prize.

But - I still agree with you. As good as McDavid has been, he'll have to do even better in rounds 3 and 4 if Oilers are to win the cup, and if he's going to win the smythe.
Mcdavid has the points but he hasent looked all that good. Drai has been much more dominant by eye and stats. As of now he is the clear mvp

Gretzky had 5 goals and 29 assists in the 1987 playoffs.
Also didnt win the smythe

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Mcdavid has the points but he hasent looked all that good. Drai has been much more dominant by eye and stats. As of now he is the clear mvp
Draisaitl continues to prove he is a playoff beast. Year over year.

Something is off with McDavid. He's passing up far too many shooting opportunities. There was the one play he had an open look for a shot right in the middle there 18 feet out, and instead decided to pass it off to Draisaitl to the side.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
No, you don't "seem to remember" that.

What you are mis-remembering is a handful of posters that had that opinion that you strangely are now trying to present as "all the Vancouver fans wanting" that.
I'm not mis-remembering anything. the majority of Canucks fans were bitching constantly about Millers bad attitude and wanted him traded. You can live your revisionist history all you want, but that's the truth.

gotcha90

Oct 23, 2016
Also didnt win the smythe
So what? He was still the greatest player ever in his prime. It’s not a stain on his legacy for having a great playoffs and not winning the Smythe. You should understand that as well as anyone here.

Crosby had 3 goals and 10 points in 2015 - 2016 through 2 rounds and still won the Smythe. McDavid has already matched Crosby’s ‘16 4 round playoff point total in assists alone and yet your posts suggest he’s undeserving of eventual consideration for the Smythe?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad