McDavid is on a serious run to try and break Gretzky's single season playoff assist record

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Would be kind of funny if he broke the assist record but then Draisaitl takes the Conn Smythe lol

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I've never thought about a playoff assist record before, and I don't care much who has or breaks that record.

I doubt McDavid gives it any more thought than I do. He wants a Cup.

wizmet12

wizmet1_2
Feb 19, 2014
Malkin had 40 goals and 106 points in four Cup runs compared to Crosby’s 35 goals and 104 points. Strange how you don’t keep consistency there though.
It's Crosby 104 (35+69) and Malkin 104 (40+64) actually, so you're wrong here. But lets take a closer look at their points in terms of EVP vs PPP production. In their four Cup runs Crosby had 62(21+41) EVP vs Malkin 55(22+33)EVP and 42vs48 PPP.
Career wise it's Crosby 62,8% EVP vs Malkin 53,8% EVP.

Reactions: Nathaniel Skywalker

wizmet12

wizmet1_2
Feb 19, 2014
Nothing to do with era. Malkin sits a at 6th with 36 points in a single playoff season. Behind only Gretzky(x4) and Lemieux.

Kuznetsov scored 32 points in a single playoff season('18). Couture had 30 in a year('16) where scoring was even lower, Briere also had 30('10) the year after Crosby had 31('09). McDavid is quite simply a much better playoff performer.
On the other hand Crosby sits with 21 EVP (2009 ) vs Malkin's 20 EVP(2009) vs kuznetsoff 20EVP (2018) vs Couture 18EVP (2016), Crosby is quite simply a much better even strength playoff performer.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
He's definitely eyeing the assist record. He deserves the Smythe if he breaks it even if Oilers don't make the finals. At this rate he only needs 8 more games. If Oilers make the finals he's also breaking the points record.

One factor that you overlooked in the OP is that Crosby's career high in points in the playoffs is 31. Breaking the assist record would give McDavid more assists than Crosby ever had points in a playoff run! Would be very embarassing for Crosby and just show the insane separation between these two players.
Crosby wont be embarrassed at all since he has 3 rings to show for his points, while McDavid's are all meaningless fluff scored in yet another doomed Oilers playoff appearance.
Until McDavid wins a Cup he is just polishing Crosby's jockstrap.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Crosby wont be embarrassed at all since he has 3 rings to show for his points, while McDavid's are all meaningless fluff scored in yet another doomed Oilers playoff appearance.
Until McDavid wins a Cup he is just polishing Crosby's jockstrap.
I thought it was a team sport.

Reactions: WalterLundy

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
I thought it was a team sport.
Yeah. You can't blame not winning a Cup on him. When you have to play your top players literally half the game to have any chance, you don't have a well built team.

However, you can blame him for getting zero points and allowing his man to skate unimpeded into the offensive zone to score the game winner in a crucial game 5.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
McDavid's also on a serious run to be the best player to never win the Cup.

IMG_1685.gif

Planetov

Nov 18, 2019
Because he is unfamiliar with the defensive zone. Too busy chasing points to be an effective back checker.
“Chasing points.” So you’ve decided to phrase scoring goals and assisting on goals as “chasing points.”🙄

I’d strongly suggest that whatever shortcomings McDavid has in the defensive zone are outweighed by his play in the offensive zone. Sorry in advance for the blazing-hot take.

Roksta

Jul 27, 2011
Doesnt look like the best in playoffs though. Maybe best in regular season. I would take Mckinnon, Miller or even Drai over him for playoffs.

I agree to some extent but LOL at Miller. He's always been a shit playoff player and he's having his first barely PPG playoff while playing against a team with no goaltender. Chill out with that scrub

• Haha
Reactions: sanscosm

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I agree to some extent but LOL at Miller. He's always been a shit playoff player and he's having his first barely PPG playoff while playing against a team with no goaltender. Chill out with that scrub
Miller has been a beast, not sure where you got shit playoff player idea from since Canucks have rarely made the playoffs in the last decade lol

Also that scrub is responsible for Mcbaby getting only 1 point in 3 games, the best player in the world

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Mcdavid is playing against a 3rd string goalie tho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad