McDavid high stick on Hughes - no penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I know this may open a can of worms, but given the technological advances and availability nowadays in many sports in which coach's challenges can be verified / dis-proven by video replay, you'd think something like this whereby if one team is indicating it was a high stick that caused a cut and is so adamant they are willing to risk a coach's challenge - what's the harm in the refs and and NHL turning to video replay to verify? The implications are huge and I think technology would help in this case.

I realize that we don't want to open this to every single presumed high stick being coach's challenged/reviewed, but maybe if the NHL can allow for one (1) coach's challenge for what they believe was a missed call on a high stick that cut a player, that may help to ensure that critical calls aren't missed.

I am saying all this as an Oilers fan, who is glad they won, but I certainly am a sports fan first and foremost and definitely want to see fair officiating for both teams. We're not talking about Marchand falling over like a bag of potatoes here, but a player who clearly was cut - if the Canucks are are adamant it was a high stick, it would be worthwhile for the refs to check a video replay. They certainly have done so for less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad