• Fine is ok

• Should've been suspended a game

• 2 games

• 3-5 games

• Fine was too much!

Results are only viewable after voting.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
What is with the 5k fines? McDavid makes 12.5mil a year right? So let's say I was your average joe making 25k a year. That'd be the equivalent of a 10 dollar fine. Would I care?

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I went with 1 game. Don't think his history has much to do with it cause I don't remember at what point you're considered clean again.

Just seem premeditated, like he chased him down to get back at him for something.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Its a cheap shot where a 3rd line or 4th line player would have had a suspension if there was blood or KK would have stayed on the ice longer, nhl is a joke as usual.

If the refs called a few of the infrations commited against McD he wouldnt have to take matters into his own hands...

Reactions: Sweetpotato

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
If the refs called a few of the infrations commited against McD he wouldnt have to take matters into his own hands...
are you seriously suggesting his blatant elbow last night was due to the "non-calls" against him? He was shut down and took out his frustrations on a 20 year old.

Great player, dick move.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habano

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
On the edge of 1 game and a fine. Voted one game. Yeah he clipped kk with an elbow, but it wasn't very aggressive and clearly was a frustrated player who doesn't normally do stuff like this.

If the fine was allowed to be higher than id be okay with it just the fine no on the fence at all.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Late hit, accidental head contact on follow through, sell job by KK. 2 min penalty was enough.

Reactions: McFlyingV

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Should have been at least a game, better two. A $5,000 fine is a sad joke, McDavid made as much while throwing that elbow.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Should have been a game IMO. The malicious intent was clearly there. If a more powerful player makes this same attempt, the result is going to be quite bad.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
are you seriously suggesting his blatant elbow last night was due to the "non-calls" against him? He was shut down and took out his frustrations on a 20 year old.

Great player, dick move.
Not that i'm condoning what he did nor denying that he did it out of frustration, but would he have been shutdown if every infraction against him was called, or conversely if no infractions were committed against him?

As for the topic, should've been a game.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
if this was wilson, the hf servers would shut down, riots in the street. for those who will say # 1 star in the league treatment, wilson has a history, you either actually care about any of it or dont care about it at all with player safety. wilson would have got 20 games for this.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
if this was wilson, the hf servers would shut down, riots in the street. for those who will say # 1 star in the league treatment, wilson has a history, you either actually care about any of it or dont care about it at all with player safety. wilson would have got 20 games for this.

Wilson is much bigger and stronger than McDavid, so if Wilson did this exact same thing, chances are the other player ends up seriously injured.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Habs fan... voted fine was too much, but I understand if they're trying to send a message. Definitely a 2min for elbowing though.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007

Great player, dick move.

I'm not suggesting it I am stating it. He got sick of being interfered with constantly and took matters into his own hands since the refs wouldn't call anything. He got shut down largely because he was interfered with every time he was on the ice. No player should have to put up with that bush league crap.
Great player. Move he should have done much sooner. Frankly if I was him I would start crosschecking some guys in the face when they interfered with me. It would force the league to pay attention to what is going on.
20 year old. Poor little tyke.

Reactions: Future GOAT

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I'm not suggesting it I am stating it. He got sick of being interfered with constantly and took matters into his own hands since the refs wouldn't call anything. He got shut down largely because he was interfered with every time he was on the ice. No player should have to put up with that bush league crap.
Great player. Move he should have done much sooner. Frankly if I was him I would start crosschecking some guys in the face when they interfered with me. It would force the league to pay attention to what is going on.
20 year old. Poor little tyke.
so its the refs fault that he couldnt keep his cool. Gotcha.... Thats why we see SO many star players who get "interfered" with night after night getting fined for cheap shot elbows all the time.

The Habs have had his and Draisaitl's number all season. Suck it up.

I can just imagine what your reaction wouldve been had a Habs (or any) player done that to a young Oilers player. Typical.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
so its the refs fault that he couldnt keep his cool. Gotcha.... Thats why we see SO many star players who get "interfered" with night after night getting fined for cheap shot elbows all the time.

The Habs have had his and Draisaitl's number all season. Suck it up.

I can just imagine what your reaction wouldve been had a Habs (or any) player done that to a young Oilers player. Typical.

You are typical of homer posters. Lots of whining but no substance. I dont get where you are coming from with the "he is 20" thing. Its not like McD is an old grinder taking advantage of some poor 18 year old rookie. Also he would not have lost his cool if the refs would just call the penalties instead of managing the game. In case you didnt notice the same thing happened with Mack for the Avs a day or 2 later. Not an elbow but he lost his cool and threw a helmet because he was sick of all the crap he has to put up with. I like both because it forces the league to pay attention and maybe do something about it. What is the point in havng players that are better and more skilled if you allow the 4th liners to neutralize them illegally?
I think you are out of touch with what is going on

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
You are typical of homer posters. Lots of whining but no substance. I dont get where you are coming from with the "he is 20" thing. Its not like McD is an old grinder taking advantage of some poor 18 year old rookie. Also he would not have lost his cool if the refs would just call the penalties instead of managing the game. In case you didnt notice the same thing happened with Mack for the Avs a day or 2 later. Not an elbow but he lost his cool and threw a helmet because he was sick of all the crap he has to put up with. I like both because it forces the league to pay attention and maybe do something about it. What is the point in havng players that are better and more skilled if you allow the 4th liners to neutralize them illegally?
I think you are out of touch with what is going on
Im a homer, yet not a Habs fan. I just call it as it is. And McDavid is one of my favourite players ever, for the record.

Youre the only poster to cry and blame the refs of all people about this. Go cry elsewhere that your beloved McDavid who got shutdown and couldnt keep his cool like a NORMAL top athlete does. I dont recall seeing: Crosby, Ovie, Gretzky, Mario, Sakic, Yzerman, etc etc throwing late elbows at players after not getting a shot all game. But oh, its the refs fault..... just SO typical.

Shouldve taken the loss like a man.

and yeah, theres a big ass difference between throwing your elbow at an unsuspecting 20 year old, let alone one who isnt an aggressive player , as opposed to say a Tom Wilson type. Not too hard to understand.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Im a homer, yet not a Habs fan. I just call it as it is. And McDavid is one of my favourite players ever, for the record.

Youre the only poster to cry and blame the refs of all people about this. Go cry elsewhere that your beloved McDavid who got shutdown and couldnt keep his cool like a NORMAL top athlete does. I dont recall seeing: Crosby, Ovie, Gretzky, Mario, Sakic, Yzerman, etc etc throwing late elbows at players after not getting a shot all game. But oh, its the refs fault..... just SO typical.

and yeah, theres a big ass difference between throwing your elbow at an unsuspecting 20 year old, let alone one who isnt an aggressive player , as opposed to say a Tom Wilson type. Not too hard to understand.

Poor defenceless little tyke. And if you go back and check out most of the guys you are talking about they lost their cool many times over the terrible reffing. Anyway you are entitled to your opinion regardless of how lame it is.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
What? If the refs called some more penalties, then McDavid wouldn't have to break the rules by making a dirty hit? Pretty sure he didn't have to make a dirty hit or break the rules.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis

He takes his lumps like a man 99.99% of the time. There's no player in the league interfered with, hooked, and slashed more than McDavid and it's missed multiple times a game and he never says a word to the Refs. I've always been extremely impressed at McDavid's professionalism and one small lapse in judgment on a play that at worst deserved a single game suspension doesn't change my opinion on McDavid's generally very clean play.

He should have kept his cool here and not gone looking for revenge on KK but lets not act like Crosby and Ovi are some angels compared to McDavid- they've both done much worse.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
He takes his lumps like a man 99.99% of the time. There's no player in the league interfered with, hooked, and slashed more than McDavid and it's missed multiple times a game and he never says a word to the Refs. I've always been extremely impressed at McDavid's professionalism and one small lapse in judgment on a play that at worst deserved a single game suspension doesn't change my opinion on McDavid's generally very clean play.

He should have kept his cool here and not gone looking for revenge on KK but lets not act like Crosby and Ovi are some angels compared to McDavid- they've both done much worse.
I agree with everything youre saying. I just find it pathetic to say "its ok" to give a late elbow to someone because hes been pushed around hard. This is the NHL and stars get a beating for being good. We see it all the time (Matthews, MacKinnon, Crosby). It is what it is.

But I guarantee if EDM were in the game, or if McD had a point ot two he wouldnt have done that. Guarantee! It wasthe frustration about being pushed around, but also the fact that his team were down 3-0, AND he didnt even get a shot all game. And thats just selfish and being reckless.

Can you imagine if he landed that elbow square, and Kotkaniemi gets concussed? Granted it wasnt a flying elbow, but there was no need to go high towards the head. Why take that chance? Next time ram a guy hard in the boards (legally), or drop your gloves. (dont throw a helmet)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad