McDavid elbows Kotkaniemi out of frustration EDIT: Fined 5K

Status
Not open for further replies.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I don't remember Ovy doing these dirty hits. McBaby also elbowed I think it was Little? He got suspended two games for it at the time.

Ovy hits like a truck but I don't recall him being dirty.

Ovechkin has 3 suspensions for dirty hits ranging from a flying headshot, hit from behind into the boards and blowing out a knee.

Just recently he got fined for spearing a guy in the balls.

BurnabyJoe7

Derek Ryan is a top 6 forward change my mind
Apr 12, 2019
Those hits were clean. This one was not. That's the difference.

The NHL in the 2nd video outline clearly that Cogliano got two games for this check because
1) check on player no longer eligible to be checked
2) head contact
3) significant amount of force

Cogs didn't have any history of supplemental discipline and was on what I believe was the league's longest active ironman streak.

This is the inconsistency that the NHL DoPS is famous for. The McDavid elbow contained all of the above and he actually has been suspended before. Feel he should have got one game.

The McDavid elbow was dirty for sure but gtfo of here if you think those Tkachuk hits are clean. If they were on any other player not named Kassian they would be suspension worthy for sure. Exactly why the DoPS is a joke.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Good thing there's such things as fines and penalties so we dont have to suspend players for such minimal contact

I'm pretty sure if you swing your stick at some players head and miss him you'll be fined or suspended, contact or not. With reason.

McDavid got out of his way and tried to land his elbow on the face of a player who didn't even have the puck anymore. I don't get what the level of contact, minimal or not, have anything to do with him being fined for trying to land his elbow on the face of a player who didn't even have the puck anymore.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Oilers fans keep mentioning he didn’t go to concussion protocol, you homers ever wonder if the NHL told the spotters to leave it be as sending him to protocol would make it look worse and give Mcdavid a higher chance of being suspended.

like just admit it could be a game or two not the end of the world my god

Reactions: Voight

sakux

Feb 5, 2013
Ummm...McDavid is on the receiving end of plays like this regularly. It often goes completely uncalled, and most would be happy with a 2 minute minor in those instances. But here we are, 53 pages in for what was, and should be, a 2 minute minor penalty.

You are wrong. Not just a 2min minor

sakux

Feb 5, 2013
Show me one. Plenty of worse ones have resulted in not even a fine.

show me where the follow through of a shoulder to shoulder hit that results in a glancing head shot is a suspension. I’ll wait.

Why do you want to compare a shoulder to shoulder hit with elbow to the face?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Why do you want to compare a shoulder to shoulder hit with elbow to the face?
Because the initial contact was McDavid's upper arm/shoulder to Kotkenemi's shoulder. Unless the DOPS has changed their measures (and they may have), the head needs to be the principal point of contact. Meaning first. The follow through is McDavid's elbow striking Koko's head, but that wasn't the initial point of contact.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I'm pretty sure if you swing your stick at some players head and miss him you'll be fined or suspended, contact or not. With reason.

McDavid got out of his way and tried to land his elbow on the face of a player who didn't even have the puck anymore. I don't get what the level of contact, minimal or not, have anything to do with him being fined for trying to land his elbow on the face of a player who didn't even have the puck anymore.
Your first paragraph is false. All kinds of missed "attempted" headshots have happened and no suspension came. You need to actually make contact for it to matter

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Quite the opposite, actually. I’ve posted several times attempting to explain why it wasn’t as bad as it may look to some.

I’ve tried to calm the shit, not stir it. :laugh:

"The league needs to get rid of their ‘fans’ on the internet that cry about all the physical plays that are apart of the game."

Sure, sure, awesome way to 'calm the shit' :thumbu:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Those hits were clean. This one was not. That's the difference.

The NHL in the 2nd video outline clearly that Cogliano got two games for this check because
1) check on player no longer eligible to be checked
2) head contact
3) significant amount of force

Cogs didn't have any history of supplemental discipline and was on what I believe was the league's longest active ironman streak.

This is the inconsistency that the NHL DoPS is famous for. The McDavid elbow contained all of the above and he actually has been suspended before. Feel he should have got one game.

The inconsistency comes in the comparison.

There was little head contact with almost no amount of force in this one, so obviously the discipline is going to be different.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Oilers fans keep mentioning he didn’t go to concussion protocol, you homers ever wonder if the NHL told the spotters to leave it be as sending him to protocol would make it look worse and give Mcdavid a higher chance of being suspended.

like just admit it could be a game or two not the end of the world my god

I'm not sure you can call someone a homer for not believing your conspiracy theory haha.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
5 grand is all?????? DoPS is a friggin joke, this was a blatant foul, the intent was very clear and a 5k fine to a guy making 12.5m per year is nothing. Referees managing games, double standards in regard to player discipline and the NHL wonders why it can't nail down a US TV contract. I've been a fan of hockey since I can remember so that's pretty close to 62 something years, I've never been this disgusted before. Bettman has got to go.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Can we please fix this system of fines. It's the equivalent of giving someone a 5$ speeding ticket. If that's the cost of doing business I'll gladly drive 200km/hr to work every day.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
The better angle makes it look like McDavid barely grazes the face and dude went down like he got shot by a sniper in the face
When I first saw the replay I thought it was one the dirtiest hits I have seen in awhile. Once I saw the alternate view in slow motion, it was very minor contact to the face and head area. The initial camera angle made the hit look horrendously worse then it actually was. McDavid still should not have hit him so aggressively, but it was not even close to what I initially thought. The NHL should definitely fine a player for that kind of hit, because you do not want players to attempt those types of hits. I believe if we could see the hit from the opposite view, the perception of the hit would be much different as you would better see how little contact was actually made with either the players face or head.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
5 grand is all?????? DoPS is a friggin joke, this was a blatant foul, the intent was very clear and a 5k fine to a guy making 12.5m per year is nothing. Referees managing games, double standards in regard to player discipline and the NHL wonders why it can't nail down a US TV contract. I've been a fan of hockey since I can remember so that's pretty close to 62 something years, I've never been this disgusted before. Bettman has got to go.
Bettman does what the owners tell him to do.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
The problem is and we all know this ... the more skilled you are in hockey, the more abuse you're expected to take. The better player you are the more other teams have to resort to grabbing, holding, clutch, obstructing, etc. etc. because they can't defend you any other way.

If the refs actually called plays by the book, on skilled players that would mean the game has to stop every 2-3 minutes and they don't want to do that.

But the consequence of letting most things go is that said players also get frustrated. I'm sure LeBron or Brady would lose their shit too if they took the same kind of of abuse star hockey players do outside of the rules constantly.

This play kinda encapsulates the problem: Malkin makes an egregious swing of the stick there, something no player should do, but just on that play alone there are probably 3 or 4 penalties against him in a 10 second span (lol)

Teams know they can do this and get away with it 90% of the time because they know full well refs can't call even 70% of the stuff that is against the rules.

So, what I'm hearing is that it's engrained in the game and there really isn't anything we can do about it. That to call every little slash, tug, hold, etc., would slow the game down so much it would be unwatchable. So, McDavid is going through what every other "star" player has gone through, and I will still say that it's not just McDaivid, it's every player in the league.

We need to change how the games been played forever to suit McDavid and a few others? Or they just need to play through it like all the stars of the past. Seems like one path is more obvious than the other.

McDavid will learn to handle it just like Sid had to.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
So, what I'm hearing is that it's engrained in the game and there really isn't anything we can do about it. That to call every little slash, tug, hold, etc., would slow the game down so much it would be unwatchable. So, McDavid is going through what every other "star" player has gone through, and I will still say that it's not just McDaivid, it's every player in the league.

We need to change how the games been played forever to suit McDavid and a few others? Or they just need to play through it like all the stars of the past. Seems like one path is more obvious than the other.

McDavid will learn to handle it just like Sid had to.

Ah yes, the "but its always been like this" defense. Classic.

Just because something is a certain way doesn't mean there isn't a better way.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Can we please fix this system of fines. It's the equivalent of giving someone a 5$ speeding ticket. If that's the cost of doing business I'll gladly drive 200km/hr to work every day.

Exactly. The system is broken. Mcdavid didnt get away with the elbow hes being disciplined in a consistent manner from the DOPS. The problem is that DOPS has been broken for YEARS

Reactions: nabob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad