Speculation: McDavid Contract Discussion, Not Signed Yet: $14 million? $13.25 million?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Generational player in his prime? Priceless.

You got it BBO. Cap will go up as well.

However, we really need to hit on our draft picks and young talent going forward. Can't afford to miss on those 2nd and 3rd rounders in the coming years.

We'll be fine. Couldn't be happier if we lock him down for 8 years. We all said 8 years, blank cheque last year. I'm ecstatic to get to watch the best player of this generation for the at least 11 years.

My young son will get to grow up and watch him as well.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You got it BBO. Cap will go up as well.

However, we really need to hit on our draft picks and young talent going forward. Can't afford to miss on those 2nd and 3rd rounders in the coming years.

We'll be fine. Couldn't be happier if we lock him down for 8 years. We all said 8 years, blank cheque last year. I'm ecstatic to get to watch the best player of this generation for the at least 11 years.

My young son will get to grow up and watch him as well.

When I initially heard 5 years I was not a fan of it. The team is apparently pushing for 8 years so if we're giving up say $2 million additionally in AAV to get him for 3 more years sign me the **** up.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
When I initially heard 5 years I was not a fan of it. The team is apparently pushing for 8 years so if we're giving up say $2 million additionally in AAV to get him for 3 more years sign me the **** up.

Leafs fans would have had a field day if he only had reupped for 5 seasons.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Still disappointed with the deal. His heart is not in winning cups if he wants to max out the money he can make. Don't think even Connor deserves it this fast, and this puts a huge dent in our team going forward. How would it feel being Klefbom, Talbot, or Larsson, guys who are making less than a third of what Connor gets yet contribute vital roles to the team as well. I was hoping for a culture somewhat like the Red Wings and their internal cap where nobody makes more than Lidstrom. Connor signs at 11, maybe even 12 long term. Draisaitl takes 8ish, then they go from there. Assuming the rumours are true, McDavid went for the money first and foremost. I don't want to hear him talking about how much cups mean to him when he showed what his priority is. Now the organization has to think long and hard about what to do with Draisaitl. Why should he take a discount when the captain didn't? Welcome to cap hell, we might never be out of it.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Generational player in his prime? Priceless.

After the inital shock of seeing the $ 13.25 million number, I was slapped into reality when I saw the term of 8 years.

If McDavid really was greedy, he would have took a million, million and half less and signed for 5 years......then really priced himself out.

I love that Maple Leafs fans have to admit, that McDavid wants to stay in Edmonton, and isn't looking for the soonest opportunity to jettison to T-dot.:laugh:

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Still disappointed with the deal. His heart is not in winning cups if he wants to max out the money he can make. Don't think even Connor deserves it this fast, and this puts a huge dent in our team going forward. How would it feel being Klefbom, Talbot, or Larsson, guys who are making less than a third of what Connor gets yet contribute vital roles to the team as well. I was hoping for a culture somewhat like the Red Wings and their internal cap where nobody makes more than Lidstrom. Assuming the rumours are true, McDavid went for the money first and foremost. I don't want to hear him talking about how much cups mean to him when he showed what his priority is.

you realize it is only 17.8% of the cap......just like Crosby signed back when, and then went on to win 2 more cups.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
you realize it is only 17.8% of the cap......just like Crosby signed back when, and then went on to win 2 more cups.

He won one Cup in 2009 with Malkin + Staal + Letang on ELC contracts.

After that they made it out of the 2nd round once in 7 years.

They won the Cup the last two years because the cap got way higher making their contracts more manageable and they got gifted a third superstar (Kessel).

McDavid should not assume everything will go as smoothly for him either. Leon Draisaitl is good but he's not Evgeni Malkin.

It is going to be harder for McDavid to win the Cup than it was for Crosby.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The constant talk would have been, see he wants to bolt Edmonton as soon as he can....at least the 8yr deal will shut them up somewhat.

Should but it won't. Some are solid, but a sizeable portion of them are the ****ing worst posters on HF. As in unbearable to the point that it's unreadable.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017

Crosby (who has won 3 cups and just had a vastly superior playoffs to Connor) only makes about 11% of the cap today. The cap was expected to rise back then and did so right around the corner just after signing that contract. It is not expected to rise dramatically again. Someone else posted what Gord Miller said, essentially the Oilers are going to have depth problems possibly for the entire duration of these contracts, and that mathematically it's very unlikely for things to work out like they did in Crosby's case. Unless the cap rises dramatically (unlikely) the Oilers are going to be in cap hell for a long time. Connor went for the money, there's nothing else to say about it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Still disappointed with the deal. His heart is not in winning cups if he wants to max out the money he can make. Don't think even Connor deserves it this fast, and this puts a huge dent in our team going forward. How would it feel being Klefbom, Talbot, or Larsson, guys who are making less than a third of what Connor gets yet contribute vital roles to the team as well. I was hoping for a culture somewhat like the Red Wings and their internal cap where nobody makes more than Lidstrom. Assuming the rumours are true, McDavid went for the money first and foremost. I don't want to hear him talking about how much cups mean to him when he showed what his priority is.

Bottom line is that we need to hope that the cap keeps going up. Next season we would be in tough to win the cup, the sweet spot for our team if we sign these deals will be in years 4-8 when the cap will have hopefully gone up by ~$10 million at that point.

After the inital shock of seeing the $ 13.25 million number, I was slapped into reality when I saw the term of 8 years.

If McDavid really was greedy, he would have took a million, million and half less and signed for 5 years......then really priced himself out.

I love that Maple Leafs fans have to admit, that McDavid wants to stay in Edmonton, and isn't looking for the soonest opportunity to jettison to T-dot.:laugh:

Exactly.

The fact that he's discussing 8 years and not at max AAV tells me that he does want to be here and win here.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.

They won the Cup the last two years because the cap got way higher making their contracts more manageable and they got gifted a third superstar (Kessel).

McDavid should not assume everything will go as smoothly for him either. Leon Draisaitl is good but he's not Evgeni Malkin.

Quite a few of those playoff failures were due to MAF. Remember 2012 when the Flyers just lit him up.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Klefbom and Larsson are basically on ELC deals for high end prospects $3.75 million vs. $4.2 million when you look at the dollars.

IIRC MAF had a high cap hit too.

Bottom line is that we need to draft and develop well and hope that we are good enough for some vets that are chasing the cup to come here for a season or two at reasonable prices.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Crosby (who has won 3 cups and just had a vastly superior playoffs to Connor) only makes about 11% of the cap today. The cap was expected to rise back then and did so right around the corner just after signing that contract. It is not expected to rise dramatically again. Someone else posted what Gord Miller said, essentially the Oilers are going to have depth problems possibly for the entire duration of these contracts. Unless the cap rises dramatically (unlikely) the Oilers are going to be in cap hell for a long time. Connor went for the money, there's nothing else to say about it.

That's what everyone is worried about. Giving Connor a really large percent of the cap affects who the team can actually have. Draisatl is affect the most as we have to pay him a lot more now. Why can't both of them realize this for the good of the team and take a hometown discount?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
That's what everyone is worried about. Giving Connor a really large percent of the cap affects who the team can actually have. Draisatl is affect the most as we have to pay him a lot more now. Why can't both of them realize this for the good of the team and take a hometown discount?

Because they are professional athletes and entitled to be compensated for their play. Can't blame them for maximizing their value.

Although I do think that endorsements could make up the $1-2M if they left it on the table and were able to win multiple Cups because they were surrounded with more talent. Either way, I'll be over the moon when I see 8 years locked up for both of them. This is their team.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I know that I said that if I were Chia at seasons end I would ask both of them how important it is to keep the team together and build a winner here. I would then tell them that regardless, they'd be rich beyond their wildest dreams with these contracts and that we want them to be lifelong Oilers. I'd ask them what they'd be willing to sacrifice if anything to make that happen and then go from there.

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
Lol would think a generational talent like Connor makes 5 mil + from sponsorship deals etc or doesnt he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad