McDavid: Century Watch

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
For reference:

The top 5 scorers from 06-07 averaged 61 ES points

The top 5 scorers from this season averaged 61 ES points.

But with more PPs weren't there less ES minutes, and hence ES scoring was higher per minutes like he said? I can't be bothered to look, but given the numbers presented it would be likely.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It's all just speculation. However, it's important to note that this all came about over a claim that McDavid would have demolished Crosby had he played that year. What would that have looked like? Crosby had 120 points so would McDavid have scored 150 that year? It's ridiculous. Put aside the the league differences back then and just compare the two today. McDavid didn't demolish an older Crosby this year so why on earth would he had done so back then?

Yea, fair enough. I don't think it's out of line to say some players would take advantage of certain eras more than others due to their skillsets (better PP players would be better in years when there's more, etc), but while I think McDavid would do better than Crosby at even strength then, he likely doesn't do as well on the PP and end up with similar points.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
But with more PPs weren't there less ES minutes, and hence ES scoring was higher per minutes like he said? I can't be bothered to look, but given the numbers presented it would be likely.

Correct.

The goal of my post was to further illustrate Regal's point.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Correct.

The goal of my post was to further illustrate Regal's point.

Oh ok, sorry I jumped into the conversation late. Interesting topic to speculate on to say the least. I'm just glad the NHL has another generational talent. The era between Crosby and prime Lemieux lacked that element (Jagr I suppose maybe fit that, but still there was a gap between his dominance and Sidney's arrival) and in reality we missed out on a lot of Crosby's greatness much like Lemieux's due to injuries. Lets hope the Oilers are good luck in terms of health like they were for the last generational talent that played there.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Oh ok, sorry I jumped into the conversation late. Interesting topic to speculate on to say the least. I'm just glad the NHL has another generational talent. The era between Crosby and prime Lemieux lacked that element (Jagr I suppose maybe fit that, but still there was a gap between his dominance and Sidney's arrival) and in reality we missed out on a lot of Crosby's greatness much like Lemieux's due to injuries. Lets hope the Oilers are good luck in terms of health like they were for the last generational talent that played there.

No need to apologize!

We're basically in agreement on the rest of your post. I hope McDavid can stay healthy as well. He's pretty much the main reason I've kept my NHLTV subscription.

trader997

Oct 17, 2008
Montreal
Just curious, how many of his 100 points came in OT? I see he has 1 goal but i can't find anywhere his point total that came in OT.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I dont think there is any doubt:

1. He is easily the best player we have seen since Sid/Ovi
2. He has the potential to be greater than both of them - he could be the best player since Mario when its all said-and-done

Definitely the most gifted skater with the puck I have ever seen. Better than Bure

Mcdavid looks like Bobby Orr with the puck IMO.

Both tremendously smooth, and noticeably faster than all of their peers.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
McDavid's only getting points because he gets to play against the Canucks, Avalanche and Coyotes so many times.

:sarcasm: (hey, this argument was used against the Sedins in their prime, might as well re-hash now that the tables have turned).

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Saying this as an Oiler fan, I don't understand the fuss about the number 100. Like point 99 was ho-hum but 100 was OMG get the puck! But enjoy if it means something to you.

TopShelfYzerman

Gm 7 Double OT
Jan 3, 2011
USA
www.youtube.com
It's not even funny how good this kid is ! I'm going to watch the entire Oilers series just because of McDavid :laugh: and to a lesser extent Draisaitl, Klefbom, Larsson and Talbot.

I loved how all his teammates were so happy for him, especially Draisaitl (must realize that his point production is going through the roof because of this kid :D).

I have watched more Oilers game this season than Redwings solely for the fact McDavid is the most exciting player next to Datsyuk I've witnessed. I also have been very interested in the Art Ross race the last month.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
McDavid's only getting points because he gets to play against the Canucks, Avalanche and Coyotes so many times.

:sarcasm: (hey, this argument was used against the Sedins in their prime, might as well re-hash now that the tables have turned).

I know you weren't being serious, but oddly enough he actually scores almost identical against playoff teams as he does against non-playoff teams.

51P in 42GP against playoff teams
49P in 40GP against non-playoff teams

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Funny but most guys unless you're chimera slow down

If severely injured sure. Most guys don't slow down at all until they're past their physiological prime (27-28+) and even then there's plenty of examples of guys maintaining close to their prime level of speed into their 30's. Grabner comes to mind. Mike Gartner set his ASG record at age 37. I would be very surprised if McDavid (assuming no serious injuries) doesn't remain one of the top skaters in the NHL into his early to mid 30's. Even if he didn't you'd be crazy to think he wouldn't still be a very effective hockey player.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
If severely injured sure. Most guys don't slow down at all until they're past their physiological prime (27-28+) and even then there's plenty of examples of guys maintaining close to their prime level of speed into their 30's. Grabner comes to mind. Mike Gartner set his ASG record at age 37. I would be very surprised if McDavid (assuming no serious injuries) doesn't remain one of the top skaters in the NHL into his early to mid 30's. Even if he didn't you'd be crazy to think he wouldn't still be a very effective hockey player.

Slow ? Idk he's used to everything going fast . But he will be the first generational player based on speed

Well modern I guess the rocket may of been fast but I figured he got his name from his shot

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Slow ? Idk he's used to everything going fast . But he will be the first generational player based on speed

Well modern I guess the rocket may of been fast but I figured he got his name from his shot

McDavid's #1 weapon is his speed sure, but its far from his only one. His IQ, vision, puck handling, and elusiveness are all as elite as they come.

Really I just don't understand why you made a post concerning him slowing down. He's 20 years old and still has nearly a decade before he'll start exiting his physiological prime. With the knowledge and advancements in training and nutrition methodology today it won't surprise me if he extends that into his mid 30s.

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008

One other thing to note is that, with penalties called closer to the rulebook, players like McDavid would have a lot more open ice to work with and would likely score a lot more.

As it stands, players are free to hook, interfere, slash and hold McDavid with little chance of a penalty. When these penalties were called players would lessen these activities and it's reasonable to assume, particularly with a guy like McDavid, that it would be easier to create offense as a result.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
McDavid's #1 weapon is his speed sure, but its far from his only one. His IQ, vision, puck handling, and elusiveness are all as elite as they come.

Really I just don't understand why you made a post concerning him slowing down. He's 20 years old and still has nearly a decade before he'll start exiting his physiological prime. With the knowledge and advancements in training and nutrition methodology today it won't surprise me if he extends that into his mid 30s.

Wishful thinking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad