McDavid: Century Watch

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Strength and speed aren't mutually exclusive. McDavid will get stronger, but it doesn't mean it will affect his speed. For starters, the majority of McDavid's speed comes from his incredible footwork, genetics and skating technique, not from freakish fitness scores. Additionally, I'd hope the best player in the world is getting his training advice from people who actually know what they're talking about and who are creating a plan focused around training for power, while implementing translatable training to the ice. Needless to say I'm really not concerned. No training is going to take away his genetics and motor trained ability to skate like that.

Seriously, he was skating like this at 13. This kind of skating stride will be with him until he retires.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
to be fair to conner he would have had 101 if he didnt have to sit the last 13 mins of that game lol

he had probably 6-7 points wiped from challenges and scoring twice when time just expired. like a few tenths. crazy

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Many others do as well, so nothing special there.

What is rather special is the fact that McDavid doesnt need to sacrifice his body (at least in the regular season) in order to score points. I see Connor as bit of an perimeter player but in a good way. Yes, he drives to the net etc, but still its different compared to Sid who has made his living in the corners, where his body has taken a beating for 10 years. Very durable style, he could play 82game seasons year after year. To be honest, he looks like a 99overall player in EA Sports NHL for the most of the time he has the puck. Just so much faster and skilled than anybody else. All this has convinced me that he will score more points than Sid, Malkin or Ovechkin, its just so natural for him.

I think this is true too. He plays kinda like Kane. People always wonder how Kane doesn't just get run over by big guys (well, people used to wonder), but it just rarely ever happens because Kane plays so heads up and is so elusive. Hard to take guys out that always know you're coming. Some guys that play really fast need to sacrifice knowing everything that's going on around them to be able to move at that speed, but others can process the game fast enough to go that fast and still be fully aware and see the openings to avoid getting nailed. The stick-handling skills help too. The less you need to look for the puck on your stick, the more you can be looking around. There are loads of training vids out there of McDavid practicing his stick-handling while doing crazy stuff on his feet/skates without looking down.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Grats to McDavid, was hoping he'd do it. 100 right on the nose. Look forward to seeing if his momentum carries into the playoffs. So fun to watch, big fan of his personally. Seems to lack that diva like quality many superstars possess which is refreshing.

Congrats also to Eberle seeing playoff action for the first time ever. Oil - Sharks should be a great series, wouldn't mind either of those teams making a run.

St8Sh00ter

Oct 16, 2016
Was a huge moment last night. In the building everyone was already jacked from eberle just scoring a hat trick. Once Mcdavid got one point and had 99 everyone was chanting "one more point, one more point". Once he got it beach balls were bouncing around and the chant "M_V_P" great atmosphere. Bring on the Sharks. Mcdavid is going to carry this right into the post season and even step it up another level.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Correct they don't always lose some speed with strength, but it is VERY common the lose speed as you get strong (see: heavier). Its one of those things we have to wait and see. Morgan Rielly is an example of someone who recently put on a bunch of muscle and looks noticeably slower.

Really not even close to being remotely true. There is an optimal weight for any athlete in terms of speed, but I sincerely doubt that McDavid has already achieved his. Just because Rielly got slower doesn't make it true for everyone or even the majority of people. Obviously he needs to train smart and to his strengths as a player, but I can just about guarantee McDavid would still skate like that if he gradually added ~10 pounds over the next 4 or 5 years.

I know first hand that McDavid's speed doesn't come from being a physical freak. His fitness scores really aren't anything special. For him (as I already said) it comes down to technique and foot speed in his skating stride. His skating technique that he has developed through his childhood is what makes his skating so special. That won't change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad