McAvoy Vs. Chabot

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think McAvoy will have more points this year due to getting fed top 4 minutes, and probably top 2 minutes, faster. McAvoy is just flat out more NHL ready.

Next year is rather murky.

Like Karlsson, Chabot will benefit from a 1-3-1 defensively (I am not dissing Karlsson's D skills, just saying its a system that will optimize both their strengths) so he should be able to get minutes, but he is going to have a lot less time and space in the NHL and it will be interesting to see what his ceiling is as he has to simplify his game to deal with higher talent opponents.

I guess the big question is if either get PP1 minutes. Both teams have a 4+1 PP1, and Boston's was pretty good (7th each of the last two seasons). Ottawa has not been good on the PP. So I think Chabot has a faster path to PP points.

Though call. I think I am leaning towards Chabot with more points, with McAvoy being the better all around d-man over the next two years. But, its really going to depend on how quickly Chabot establishes himself, because McAvoy will get big minutes faster.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Chabot's ceiling is higher, McCavoy's floor is higher is the way I would put it. McAvoy will definitely play a more important role in Boston than Chabot in Ottawa due to the depth that both teams have at the position.

I think Chabot will have to earn the coach's trust and will need to show he is good defensively and that he's commited to the system before he will be given an opoortunity in the top 4.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Chabot's ceiling is higher, McCavoy's floor is higher is the way I would put it. McAvoy will definitely play a more important role in Boston than Chabot in Ottawa due to the depth that both teams have at the position.

I think Chabot will have to earn the coach's trust and will need to show he is good defensively and that he's commited to the system before he will be given an opoortunity in the top 4.

How is Chabot's ceiling higher? If McAvoy's is that of an elite defenseman, what then is Chabot's!?

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Sens fan voting McAvoy. Chabot has the higher offensive upside IMO but McAvoy will have less adjustment. I could see McAvoy posting near his career average offensively in his first two seasons*, whereas I doubt that's the case for Chabot.

*note: this is a comment on how quickly I think he'll adjust - not a limit on his upside.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Absolutely love em both. Very tough choice

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
This is a bit of a toss up. In the end I voted for McAVoy.

There are a few reasons why. McAVoy has already shown that he can play in a top pairing role in the NHL and look great. That leads me to believe that McAvoy may end up with more minutes played.

It's a toss up because McAVoy is younger, has a year less development but he also just looks ready. Chabot was the MVP at the worlds but in the deciding game McAvoy was the player of the game. McAvoy looked great in a top pairing role but Boston also had 4 regular D injured at the time, Krug is going to eat up those offensive minutes and are they going to pair McAvoy with Chara or Krug? Chabot has the Karlsson factor. Karlsson is going to play in every single offensive situation of course so is Chabot going to have the same kind of opportunity? Are either of them going to be getting prime offensive playing time?

In the end I think McAvoy plays more minutes so he gets my vote.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Karlsson v. Doughty.

Both Elite Dmen, but one is clearly better (and no its not Doughty, no matter what Don Cherry tells ya)

I think you are a bit premature with those comparisons. Maybe stylistically that makes sense, especially McAvoy/Doughty, but it is waaay too early to be making that comparison.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I think McAvoy will have more points this year due to getting fed top 4 minutes, and probably top 2 minutes, faster. McAvoy is just flat out more NHL ready.

Next year is rather murky.

Like Karlsson, Chabot will benefit from a 1-3-1 defensively (I am not dissing Karlsson's D skills, just saying its a system that will optimize both their strengths) so he should be able to get minutes, but he is going to have a lot less time and space in the NHL and it will be interesting to see what his ceiling is as he has to simplify his game to deal with higher talent opponents.

I guess the big question is if either get PP1 minutes. Both teams have a 4+1 PP1, and Boston's was pretty good (7th each of the last two seasons). Ottawa has not been good on the PP. So I think Chabot has a faster path to PP points.

Though call. I think I am leaning towards Chabot with more points, with McAvoy being the better all around d-man over the next two years. But, its really going to depend on how quickly Chabot establishes himself, because McAvoy will get big minutes faster.

Sens don't run a 1-3-1 system. Nor do they trap more than any other team.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Next two seasons, McAvoy, career Chabot.

This is a bit of a toss up. In the end I voted for McAVoy.

There are a few reasons why. McAVoy has already shown that he can play in a top pairing role in the NHL and look great. That leads me to believe that McAvoy may end up with more minutes played.

It's a toss up because McAVoy is younger, has a year less development but he also just looks ready. Chabot was the MVP at the worlds but in the deciding game McAvoy was the player of the game. McAvoy looked great in a top pairing role but Boston also had 4 regular D injured at the time, Krug is going to eat up those offensive minutes and are they going to pair McAvoy with Chara or Krug? Chabot has the Karlsson factor. Karlsson is going to play in every single offensive situation of course so is Chabot going to have the same kind of opportunity? Are either of them going to be getting prime offensive playing time?

In the end I think McAvoy plays more minutes so he gets my vote.

I agree with this outside of a couple facts, they are the same age and have the same amount of years of development. Different draft years because Chabot is a few months older than McAvoy. Both were magnificent in the final.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hard to say.

McAvoy is a safer bet to play a top 4 role, but Chabot could find himself getting more favourable offensive mins while playing on the 3rd pair, albeit with less total mins. He also stands a good chance of manning the point on the #1 PP if they move Hoffman back to a wing for the PP, failing that he's a shoe in on the 2nd unit.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Very interesting one. Both teams are lucky to have 2 promising players in a position so hard to add to. Not voting in this one. I truly do not know which player I prefer.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Mcavoy but please change my vote to "other". I expect Karlsson and Burns to score more

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad