RD Mazden Leslie - Vancouver Giants, WHL (2023 undrafted)

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Reactions: Stive Morgan

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Looks like him and Molendyk could both be complete studs. Very early of course but the WHL crop for the 2023 draft looks loaded with high end prospects even if you look beyond Bedard.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Looks like him and Molendyk could both be complete studs. Very early of course but the WHL crop for the 2023 draft looks loaded with high end prospects even if you look beyond Bedard.
There are quite a few very promising players in that class. Obviously an elite top 3 but a lot of talent in the rest of the first as well. I really hope we get to see Grayden Slipec in the WHL too.

Reactions: Dominance

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Bunch of 15 yr olds putting up numbers and yet peeps keep insisting the dub isn’t watered down this season..lol.

I'd say it's more that there is an incredible bunch of talented 15 olds in the Dub, and they're getting a chance to show they belong without the rather archaic rules regarding their games limit.

To each his own.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Talent level is basically the same but teams went with much younger rosters so there are more coverage breakdowns leading to better scoring chances. Will definitely be tougher to score next year as long as they are back to normal but last years bantam draft was touted as one of if not the best ever for both top end talent and depth. There's kids who went in the 2nd round who in a normal year push for maybe top 10 pick.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
28803.jpg

Re-carnation of MacGyver? :)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There’s a lack of imports this year. The league is worse. It doesn’t mean that any individual player isn’t as good as their numbers, but it does play a part. The league isn’t as good as it’d normally be. This is no different than any of the major hockey leagues in North America, junior or pro.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He was very dominant tonight and created chances almost every shift. Isn't the same level of skater but reminds me quite a bit of a recent gmen dman who wore 44. He was supper unlucky last year to not have any assists and already is their main pp guy so could put up impressive numbers this year

Offensively and given his frame he could be a top 10 pick in a deep 23 draft but how did he look defensively last night?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Offensively and given his frame he could be a top 10 pick in a deep 23 draft but how did he look defensively last night?
Didn't have any bad mistakes from what I noticed. The odd time would be up in the play but that's his game and forwards were covering. Not noticeable which is a good thing tbh

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Didn't have any bad mistakes from what I noticed. The odd time would be up in the play but that's his game and forwards were covering. Not noticeable which is a good thing tbh

The 23 draft is obviously a draft for high end forwards but if Leslie develops a defensive game to go along with that skillset it will be interesting if he (and/or other) Dmen can crack the top 7 in 23 as I think it will be very for a Dman to not go top 10.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

I would say last night his defensive game was a bit up and down. No issues with contact and overall played well but got caught up ice of on a couple of occasions looking for scoring opportunities and got out-positioned on one of the PG goals. Nothing I saw was overly concerning on the defensive side of things.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Who calls his kid Mazden though? I mean its not quite "X AE A-XII" territory but still. Whats wrong with all the traditonal english names like Bill, Joe or Frank. Why is nobody called Frank anymore???

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I would say last night his defensive game was a bit up and down. No issues with contact and overall played well but got caught up ice of on a couple of occasions looking for scoring opportunities and got out-positioned on one of the PG goals. Nothing I saw was overly concerning on the defensive side of things.

That's pretty encouraging given his age and that defense can be taught.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad