WEEI Mayor Marty Walsh says TD Garden might have fans back by February or March

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Still, I have to say, props to JJ for doing the right thing in this particular instance. I get that there's normally a limited number of spaces at TD Garden, so supply and demand dictates the parking prices are pretty high, but because that's no longer the case, he's doing the right thing morally and financially. I'm normally all for encouraging public transport, but not this year.

@talkinaway In normal times on game day, I would take the 69 bus to Lechmere and then the Green Line to North Station and then Uber/Lyft home after a meal at the Fours :cry: ( and if warm enough would WALK to the Garden through North Point ( now Cambridge Crossing )

Now I am 9 months in exile at Hampton Beach ( save 2 months in a NHL bubble ) and I will take the commuter rail from Newburyport in on Friday which I understand is not crowded at all. I will drive in for the Christmas Day game.

I am not looking forward to seeing the ghost town that North Station has become :cry:

Last edited:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

DaveFromNB

Sep 6, 2008
Quispamsis, NB
This virus is brutal, spreads so easily.
I live in Ontario, we were at a daily high number of around 2700 cases in May, now in December we are seeing 6900 cases each day now.
Hospitals are overloaded.
Some areas are in a 4 week lockdown now, not good.
People are not following the social distancing / mask wearing rules and not attending a gathering indoors of more than 10 people.
I hope we get this under control by mid Jan.
How is it in your area?
Mid January is when the effect of Xmas contacts will be felt. Rather than being under control, I'd expect it will be the absolute worst it will be.

It will be interesting to see down the road what will happen for venues like TD Garden and what they will do about people who don't go ahead and get vaccinated. 70% vaccinated, at full capacity that means like 5,000 fans who are at risk for Covid. I'm thinking this concept of "herd immunity" is more along the lines of controlled spread for regular activities, not a cure-all for superspreader events.

I'm thinking that those who are expecting to pass on being vaccinated assuming that 70% means back to normal, are going to find themselves excluded from much of that new normal without proof of vaccination.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I think what they should do is find out the average age of people that require hospitalization and make requirements or strongly recommend for that age and above for vaccines.

Im pretty sure thry cant stop a 30 year old from going to a Bruins game without a vaccine.

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
I went to Ski Monster on Canal St. a couple weekends ago. The only restaurant open in the entire area was Porters. It was a ghost town. the monthly rent for those places are at minimum $50,000/month. If the Garden doesn't have events by March then that entire neighborhood will close for good.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This was just spooky - An hour before the game and the end of the rush hour there was NOBODY

ns.PNG

Blinny

This is the Sway
Jan 6, 2010
Dorchester
Mid January is when the effect of Xmas contacts will be felt. Rather than being under control, I'd expect it will be the absolute worst it will be.

It will be interesting to see down the road what will happen for venues like TD Garden and what they will do about people who don't go ahead and get vaccinated. 70% vaccinated, at full capacity that means like 5,000 fans who are at risk for Covid. I'm thinking this concept of "herd immunity" is more along the lines of controlled spread for regular activities, not a cure-all for superspreader events.

I'm thinking that those who are expecting to pass on being vaccinated assuming that 70% means back to normal, are going to find themselves excluded from much of that new normal without proof of vaccination.
Requiring Proof of vaccination is a slippery slope to start going down. Vaccination or no, I will not participate in being forced to show proof. That is just not a society I want to live in.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Requiring Proof of vaccination is a slippery slope to start going down. Vaccination or no, I will not participate in being forced to show proof. That is just not a society I want to live in.

I understand fully where you are coming from and respect it

I fully expect that when the Canadian border reopens they will demand proof of a vaccine.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I understand fully where you are coming from and respect it

I fully expect that when the Canadian border reopens they will demand proof of a vaccine.

Yeah its going to be inconveneint to not get it no matter what.

I'd rather not get it as I have zero fear of covid but I am ready to get back to normal. I just want to make sure I get the same thing everyone else does I want to see that pen dipped in the same inkwell not my name be called and I get a 'special' needle.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

While it does depend on exactly how infectious a particular virus is, the concept of herd immunity is that enough people are vaccinated to the point that the virus can't gain momentum in spreading in the community and the number of carriers is therefore in a steady decrease. Ie the immunity level of the population outweighs the spreadability of the virus. This means that even those who are not vaccinated don't get the virus because they're not exposed to it because of the overall immunity level of the surrounding community at a point where the virus infects less and less people as time goes on.

Regardless, achieving that level of immunity is far further away than the optimistic timelines that are being implied currently, IMO.

DaveFromNB

Sep 6, 2008
Quispamsis, NB
Looks like no more weekend trips to Montreal for a game and some fun
You've had to provide proof of citizenship to cross. Maybe even proof of the means of returning home, or proof you have some place to stay and the means to support yourself while visiting. Maybe proof you are not crossing the border to work illegally. Proof of ownership and insurance for the vehicle if you are driving there. Proof of age to get into that bar.

This isn't a shot at you personally, because many share your views. But I find it interesting that Covid has somehow crossed a line, so that people required to wear pants to leave home, and shoes and shirts to get service, will protest because they have to wear a mask. I don't see how not wearing a shirt to Walmart might kill others. But not wearing a mask might.

And we're all walking around, having been vaccinated as kids, with immunity to mumps, measles, chickenpox, hepatitis, polio, rabies, etc., but being vaccinated against Covid is considered a bad thing for many.

It's a sad statement on current society that so many don't trust our governments and think they are out to harm them.

Blinny

This is the Sway
Jan 6, 2010
Dorchester
You've had to provide proof of citizenship to cross. Maybe even proof of the means of returning home, or proof you have some place to stay and the means to support yourself while visiting. Maybe proof you are not crossing the border to work illegally. Proof of ownership and insurance for the vehicle if you are driving there. Proof of age to get into that bar.

This isn't a shot at you personally, because many share your views. But I find it interesting that Covid has somehow crossed a line, so that people required to wear pants to leave home, and shoes and shirts to get service, will protest because they have to wear a mask. I don't see how not wearing a shirt to Walmart might kill others. But not wearing a mask might.

And we're all walking around, having been vaccinated as kids, with immunity to mumps, measles, chickenpox, hepatitis, polio, rabies, etc., but being vaccinated against Covid is considered a bad thing for many.

It's a sad statement on current society that so many don't trust our governments and think they are out to harm them.
Providing proof of who you are is a far cry different. Also, take out the idea of crossing borders. Moving from one sovereign nation to another is extremely different than showing I have taken a very new experimental vaccine drug. One that hasn’t been given the full range of testing. One that hasn’t been given the usual 4-5 rounds of testing. one of the test being on longer term affects. One that has been given special status so that the companies producing the vaccine CAN NOT BE HELP LIABLE IF IT HARMS YOU!

Also, this vaccine doesn’t stop people from spreading Covid. This vaccine doesn’t stop you from getting it. This vaccine helps make the symptoms from Covid not so bad.

So for a disease that has a 99% survival rate for those under 70. No, I think it’s f***ing insane that you will have to show proof of that you have received a “vaccination” that CAN NOT stop you from getting Covid. It also CAN NOT stop you from transmitting Covid.

The government might not be out to harm us but it sure as hell isn’t out to help us. Also, side note, I’m not showing proof of being vaccinated until we have everyone showing proof for things like voting and social benefits.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Providing proof of who you are is a far cry different. Also, take out the idea of cross borders. Moving from one sovereign nation to another is extremely different than showing I have taken a very new experimental vaccine drug. One that hasn’t been given the full range of testing. One that hasn’t been given the usual 4-5 rounds of testing. one of the test being on longer term affects. One that has been given special status so that the companies producing the vaccine CAN NOT BE HELP LIABLE IF IT HARMS YOU!

Also, this vaccine doesn’t stop people from spreading Covid. This vaccine doesn’t stop you from getting it. This vaccine helps make the symptoms from Covid not so bad.

So for a disease that has a 99% survival rate for those under 70. No, I think it’s f***ing insane that you will have to show proof of that you have received a “vaccination” that CAN NOT stop you from getting Covid. It also CAN NOT stop you from transmitting Covid.

The government might not be out to harm us but it sure as hell isn’t out to help us. Also, side note, I’m not showing proof of being vaccinated until we have everyone showing proof for things like voting and social benefits.
the Canadians are the ones prohibiting inter provincial border travel, not the US, the only correlation is the land border has been closed consistently since March.

Blinny

This is the Sway
Jan 6, 2010
Dorchester
the Canadians are the ones prohibiting inter provincial border travel, not the US, the only correlation is the land border has been closed consistently since March.

When I read his post, I thought he was referring to international border crossing. Because he commented on my post saying I won’t be able to go to Montreal anymore.

So if he was referring to provincial travel than I’m sorry for the miscommunication

DaveFromNB

Sep 6, 2008
Quispamsis, NB
When I read his post, I thought he was referring to international border crossing. Because he commented on my post saying I won’t be able to go to Montreal anymore.

So if he was referring to provincial travel than I’m sorry for the miscommunication
I was referring to International - your location looks like Mass., and travel to Quebec/Canada.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

that is why the Canucks are being relocated or that's under discussion, from what @Fenway has been reporting.... the understanding is you can fly to a Canadian market, but, until the border restrictions are relaxed, you cannot cross border crossings between the 2 countries by any other mode of transport....

states that border Canada, like New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine/Michigan, to name 4.

DaveFromNB

Sep 6, 2008
Quispamsis, NB
that is why the Canucks are being relocated or that's under discussion, from what @Fenway has been reporting.... the understanding is you can fly to a Canadian market, but, until the border restrictions are relaxed, you cannot cross border crossings between the 2 countries by any other mode of transport....

states that border Canada, like New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine/Michigan, to name 4.
Although you can fly back and forth, the stickler is really the quarantine restrictions. There can be government exemption for essential travel, but it hasn't been granted for NBA, MLB, NHL. Not sure if that is because sports isn't considered essential, or if the professional leagues just haven't been able to put in place a suitable plan.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
As someone who takes the commuter rail from Worcester to Boston and then the t to td garden for bruins games. I am really hopeful all the cuts are temporary.

NSBruinFan

Jul 17, 2006
Cape Breton, NS
The Atlantic Canadian bubble did so well this Summer! These next few months will be tough, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel! Looking forward to a time when I can take a road trip to your beautiful country. Stay safe everyone!

Reactions: Fenway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad