Maybe our salary cap issues are not that bad.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
absolutely pathetic

I heard this before sooooo many times for your likes

komi ahh np just ship em out

liles, same deal

gleason same deal

and on and on and on this nonsense is repeated.

when they actually truly manage to ship out a contract and NOT have to take money back, then I will give "your kind" maybe an ounce of credibility, till then your stance holds none.

What are you on about?

Lupul- $5.25
JVR- $4.25
Bozak- $4.2
Komarov- $2.9
Kadri- $2.9
Santorelli- $1.5
Winnik- $1.1
Booth- $1
Gardiner- $4
Franson- $3.3
Polak- $2.75
Reimer- $2.3

That's $35 million in those players alone without even counting Phaneuf, Kessel, Robidas or Clarkson.

We've got plenty of ability to clear out cap space if we want.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
What are you on about?

Lupul- $5.25
JVR- $4.25
Bozak- $4.2
Komarov- $2.9
Kadri- $2.9
Santorelli- $1.5
Winnik- $1.1
Booth- $1
Gardiner- $4
Franson- $3.3
Polak- $2.75
Reimer- $2.3

That's $35 million in those players alone without even counting Phaneuf, Kessel, Robidas or Clarkson.

If you clear out those players you have to replace them. On that list only Lupul and perhaps Gardiner could be replaced for substantially less. The big 3 contracts are the ones that are problematic. Clarkson,unmoveable,Phaneuf you are going to take a bad contract back. Kessel I don't particularily want to move so any way you look at it the Leafs are really screwed capwise unless you move out all the pending UFA's and even guys you might want to keep who are wanting big raises like Kadri and Bernier.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What are you on about?

Lupul- $5.25
JVR- $4.25
Bozak- $4.2
Komarov- $2.9
Kadri- $2.9
Santorelli- $1.5
Winnik- $1.1
Booth- $1
Gardiner- $4
Franson- $3.3
Polak- $2.75
Reimer- $2.3

Isn't the priority to build a winning team, so while granted dumping players does free cap space by their removal the returning player(s) etc to try and improve the team have incoming cap hits to offset the recaptured?.

Gunnarsson @$3.3 + Retained Salary for Polak = No Cap gain for example.

Dumping players like Santo, Winnik, and Booth making just $1-$1.5 mil and replaced internally by Marlies like Nylander $925k, Gauthier $900k and Ashton $850k leaves the cap negligible is terms of free cap space gained. 3 players out and 3 replacement players in to fill and NHL team roster.

I'm sure some players like Kadri, JVR, Franson wouldn't be too difficult to deal but would the return make the team better or worse if the intention if freeing up cap space and not team improvement?. If you hypothetically traded JVR @ $4.25 for ROR @$ 6.0 mil you're adding $1.75 mil and would have to find that extra cap space in addition like say dumping Reimer ($2.3 mil) and replacing him with another goalie making $900k.

If as you mentioned in the other thread the goal is to bring in better players to surround Phaneuf and Kessel then wouldn't you want to keep some of those players on your list to add to the overall team and not subtract to create cap space?

If you're tight against the cap then money OUT $$ has to balance money $$ IN.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
If you clear out those players you have to replace them. On that list only Lupul and perhaps Gardiner could be replaced for substantially less. The big 3 contracts are the ones that are problematic. Clarkson,unmoveable,Phaneuf you are going to take a bad contract back. Kessel I don't particularily want to move so any way you look at it the Leafs are really screwed capwise unless you move out all the pending UFA's and even guys you might want to keep who are wanting big raises like Kadri and Bernier.

We have enough average and depth players. We need to get more top end talent.

I'd rather....

$6 million player + $0.75 million player

Instead of....

Polak $2.75 million + Gardiner $4 million

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
We have enough average and depth players. We need to get more top end talent.

I'd rather....

$6 million player + $0.5 million player

Instead of....

Polak $2.5 million + Gardiner $4 million
Where are we going to find $0.5 million dollar players?

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
If as you mentioned in the other thread the goal is to bring in better players to surround Phaneuf and Kessel then wouldn't you want to keep some of those players on your list to add to the overall team and not subtract to create cap space?

No I wouldn't want to keep most of those players. I'd rather package them together to get something special.

Look at Chicago. They have 7 players making over $5 million. And they balance it off with a lot of cheap players.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
What are you on about?

Lupul- $5.25
JVR- $4.25
Bozak- $4.2
Komarov- $2.9
Kadri- $2.9
Santorelli- $1.5
Winnik- $1.1
Booth- $1
Gardiner- $4
Franson- $3.3
Polak- $2.75
Reimer- $2.3

like I said, I don't think you have a clue or a sense of the realities of the NHL and how cap is managed and traded

but you keep on believing what you believe and stay confused on why nothing that happens here makes no sense to you

because until you get a grip and understanding how contracts and the cap works in todays nhl you will never get it.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
No I wouldn't want to keep most of those players. I'd rather package them together to get something special.

Look at Chicago. They have 7 players making over $5 million. And they balance it off with a lot of cheap players.
Chicago paid the big bucks to guys who actually deserve them though so they can carry the bit players. Kessel's numbers are the only ones on this team deserving of the big contract.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
like I said, I don't think you have a clue or a sense of the realities of the NHL and how cap is managed and traded

but you keep on believing what you believe and stay confused on why nothing that happens here makes no sense to you

because until you get a grip and understanding how contracts and the cap works in todays nhl you will never get it.

I think you should be more concerned if the Leafs actions did make sense to me.

Plus my post was 100% factual. Those contracts do add up to $35 million and most if not all are easily moved out.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
I know that. I'm not suggesting we go out and acquire a bunch of garbage players making big money.
But that is exactly what we already have and who is dumb enough to take these guys off of our hands without making us take a bad contract back?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I think you should be more concerned if the Leafs actions did make sense to me.

Plus my post was 100% factual. Those contracts do add up to $35 million and most if not all are easily moved out.

facts tend to be based in the word of reality

all you did was post a bunch of names and cap hits

ya maybe in your fantasy world 35m cap is shipped out with absolutely no cap returns, like I said before your out of touch and just don't get it.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
For any of the 12 guys I listed earlier making a combined $35 million you'd have to take money back for sure but not necessarily a bad contract.
I'm not sure. The lengths on some of those guys contracts are bad as well as the money. While every organization has 1 or 2 bad contracts the Leafs just have so many it boggles the mind. Rangers used to be like this but that was in the pre-cap days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad