Maybe our salary cap issues are not that bad.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Hear me out before flaming me please. We all know we are going to blow this mess up...so if we are doing that then the extra cap $$'s don't matter so much right now or in the next 3 yrs or so. In saying that...I think we will be in fairly good shape in 5yrs when our crop of high 1'st rounders are getting good..that means worrying about our cap situation now is kind of pointless to a degree.

Think about it...it's not that big a deal anymore since we are NOT adding anyone of significance to our team in the next few years. Cap dollars are important to teams that need to ADD players or KEEP players....in our case...we really don't have anyone that we need to worry about except for Kadri and Bernier (although I would not be so quick to pay him anything more than a bridge contract and take my chances) for the near future.

I can fully get into watching the Leafs if they stink for the next few years whilst enjoying watching the development of the young players. Watching them struggle and having the management tell us they are better than the results is quite a different ball of wax IMHO.

I guess this is what keeps me sane in the aftermath of what has transpired here. I would much rather know that we suck and can't win NOW...then just barely miss the playoffs and then try adding stupid pcs like Clarkson etc....

I doubt Management can put lipstick on this pig anymore...they have to REBUILD properly this time...we tried every short cut and it doesn't work...the fan base would accept a rebuild...it really has no choice not to at this point.

Oh...one last thing...try this drinking game: while watching Clarkson play his usual shift....just take a shot something every time he falls down...makes the games much more fun!! :naughty:

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Absolutely. If either Kessel or Phaneuf is traded in the offseason for prospects (and even a minor cap dump), we're a few million under cap. If both of them are traded, cap issues are non-existent for the next few years. Trade away Bozak, Lupul, and Franson, and we're near the salary floor.

We should seriously look at retaining salary on Bozak and Lupul to make them more attractive. Lupul at 3.15 and Bozak at 2.3 are both great value for what they bring, and that salary will be off our books by the time the prospects we trade them for will be needing raises.

That said, we've still got 5.25 tied up in Clarkson forever, so I'd be really careful about retaining salary on Phaneuf or Kessel. We'll still be paying it when the next generation want their paycheques.

Our Cap Management isn't an issue if we rebuild, but it will be an issue if we push to compete. Just another reason to focus on the longterm instead.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I'm going to disagree with you. The cap space is valuable and even if you're going through a rebuild, the increased free cap space can be filled up quite productively. Not only can it "buy" you picks, it can give you more shots at all types of reclamation projects. In some respects, there's yet another downside to having Clarkson on the payroll: he prohibits the team from getting their next Mason Raymond. Aside from eating up a roster spot that could have been better used for a younger player's development purposes or to a UFA to prove he's NHL-worthy, having a large deadspot on the roster for the foreseeable future could make just one transaction have a long-lasting impact on the organization for years after the GM who made the move has been relieved.

While the Clarkson contract is 'just' around the $5 million mark, its heavily bonus-based structure could be something cap floor teams would be interested in looking at.

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
Hear me out before flaming me please. We all know we are going to blow this mess up...so if we are doing that then the extra cap $$'s don't matter so much right now or in the next 3 yrs or so. In saying that...I think we will be in fairly good shape in 5yrs when our crop of high 1'st rounders are getting good..that means worrying about our cap situation now is kind of pointless to a degree.

Think about it...it's not that big a deal anymore since we are NOT adding anyone of significance to our team in the next few years. Cap dollars are important to teams that need to ADD players or KEEP players....in our case...we really don't have anyone that we need to worry about except for Kadri and Bernier (although I would not be so quick to pay him anything more than a bridge contract and take my chances) for the near future.

I can fully get into watching the Leafs if they stink for the next few years whilst enjoying watching the development of the young players. Watching them struggle and having the management tell us they are better than the results is quite a different ball of wax IMHO.

I guess this is what keeps me sane in the aftermath of what has transpired here. I would much rather know that we suck and can't win NOW...then just barely miss the playoffs and then try adding stupid pcs like Clarkson etc....

I doubt Management can put lipstick on this pig anymore...they have to REBUILD properly this time...we tried every short cut and it doesn't work...the fan base would accept a rebuild...it really has no choice not to at this point.

Oh...one last thing...try this drinking game: while watching Clarkson play his usual shift....just take a shot something every time he falls down...makes the games much more fun!! :naughty:

Not bad points. If we are trade off some of the big hitters (Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul) and do a rebuild for 3-4 years then we should be OK.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
As I've said before, Clarkson's contract helps us reach the floor.

Unless we unload the heavy contracts, Clarkson's contract keeps us near the ceiling, and, prevents us from adding more useful help!

Leafspoison*

Absolutely. If either Kessel or Phaneuf is traded in the offseason for prospects (and even a minor cap dump), we're a few million under cap. If both of them are traded, cap issues are non-existent for the next few years. Trade away Bozak, Lupul, and Franson, and we're near the salary floor.

We should seriously look at retaining salary on Bozak and Lupul to make them more attractive. Lupul at 3.15 and Bozak at 2.3 are both great value for what they bring, and that salary will be off our books by the time the prospects we trade them for will be needing raises.

That said, we've still got 5.25 tied up in Clarkson forever, so I'd be really careful about retaining salary on Phaneuf or Kessel. We'll still be paying it when the next generation want their paycheques.

Our Cap Management isn't an issue if we rebuild, but it will be an issue if we push to compete. Just another reason to focus on the longterm instead.

Good ideas but to add, we don't need to hold back salaries....the season is about 3/4 over by the time of the TDL.

Leafspoison*

Unless we unload the heavy contracts, Clarkson's contract keeps us near the ceiling, and, prevents us from adding more useful help!

I hate to say it but perhaps the best route for Clarkson is to just buy him out and have him play with the Marlies if we can't find someone to take him off our hands.

Saves a couple Mil off the cap, but still have to pay the slug. WTF Nonis? Just WTF?

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
I hate to say it but perhaps the best route for Clarkson is to just buy him out and have him play with the Marlies if we can't find someone to take him off our hands.

Saves a couple Mil off the cap, but still have to pay the slug. WTF Nonis? Just WTF?

Clarkson has three years left under contract and the Leafs should just keep him as the prospects would take time to develop. Once the team is ready to compete Clarkson will be off the team. Clarkson helps with the team getting to the bottom of the standings in the next few years.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Stilll hurts us because at the trade deadline and draft, there's usually trades paying in picks to take contracts off of other team's hands that only have 1-2 years left.

Sep 18, 2009
Clarkson has three years left under contract and the Leafs should just keep him as the prospects would take time to develop. Once the team is ready to compete Clarkson will be off the team. Clarkson helps with the team getting to the bottom of the standings in the next few years.

I have some bad news for you...

leafstilldeath*

If only this was true.....

Clarkson has 5 more years after this year with NMC and basically a non-tradable/buyout proof contract

leafstilldeath*

Stilll hurts us because at the trade deadline and draft, there's usually trades paying in picks to take contracts off of other team's hands that only have 1-2 years left.

and Nonis decided to not cash in our assets for picks:

Kuli
Mac
Bolland (2nd rounder wasted)
McClement
Bozak (resigned him :facepalm:)
(did I miss anyone?)

This season:
Santo
Winnik
Franson
Booth
Bodie

pending UFAs......lets see what happens

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Contracts that i think could be moved

Kessel 8
Bozak 4.2
Dion. At most 1 million retained but i dont think so

That is at least 18 million there

Maybe movable. Lupul and gards

Stuck with robidas and clarkson

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
If only this was true.....

Clarkson has 5 more years after this year with NMC and basically a non-tradable/buyout proof contract

Bwhaha my bad I am at the hospital right now and couldn't double check the term. Thought he signed for 5 years and was in year 2 of the contract. :banghead:

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
IMO we need to do everything we can now to set up our cap for five years from now. Our cap management has been a mess for so long because we keep using buyouts and retaining salary on deals. I would do everything I could to move out our big contracts without using buyouts or retain salary. Just let Clarkson sit in the press box for five years if we have to, a 8-10 year but out should NEVER be considered.

jcfogerty

Aug 21, 2014
Not bad points. If we are trade off some of the big hitters (Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul) and do a rebuild for 3-4 years then we should be OK.

I am afraid that they will do something moronic. I can't see ownership allowing this when we will be on the world stage for the leafs 100th anniversary. get ready for shortcuts people. book it.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
Our cap situation definitely isn't that bad and I'm sure why people say it is.

We could easily clear out $20-$30 million without even counting Kessel and Phaneuf.

The problem is we have a crappy team and a maxed out cap. But individually the contracts aren't that bad. The only unmovable contract we have is Clarkson.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto

Thats fair, but why do you even want anymore 'useful' help? To me the only help we need are picks and prospects.

A proper rebuild (something they pretty much has to be done at this point) would result in a number of core contracts being moved out, Phaneuf, Kessel, Lupul, Bozak, Gardiner, one of the 2 goalies. Take 2-4 of them away and we have a TON of cap space with no need to go to the cap maximum. If it were up to me, I'd move them all, which means we would have to have some larger contracts to reach the floor :)

Contracts like Robidas and Clarkson, are useful in that they can help fill spots. In 3 years IF we have done a decent rebuild, Robi will be gone, and Clarkson will be easier to buy out (and the cap will likely be higher).

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I am afraid that they will do something moronic. I can't see ownership allowing this when we will be on the world stage for the leafs 100th anniversary. get ready for shortcuts people. book it.

This team has proven shortcuts = epic fail.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Our cap situation definitely isn't that bad and I'm sure why people say it is.

We could easily clear out $20-$30 million without even counting Kessel and Phaneuf.

The problem is we have a crappy team and a maxed out cap. But individually the contracts aren't that bad. The only unmovable contract we have is Clarkson.

absolutely pathetic

I heard this before sooooo many times for your likes

komi ahh np just ship em out

liles, same deal

gleason same deal

and on and on and on this nonsense is repeated.

when they actually truly manage to ship out a contract and NOT have to take money back, then I will give "your kind" maybe an ounce of credibility, till then your stance holds none.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00