Kings Article: Maybe It’s Time To Trust LA Kings’ Tim Leiweke, AEG

Ron*

Los Angeles Times story today:

Kings' Tim Leiweke is already thinking of another title run

Highlights in story:

When the Kings raise that banner a week from Saturday, before they open this lockout-shortened season with a noon game against the Chicago Blackhawkshttp://www.latimes.com/topic/sports/ice-hockey/chicago-blackhawks-ORSPT000163.topic, it will reside in the rafters above center ice. There, in glorious solitude, it will be displayed not as a memento but as a promise.

"We're going to do something different," Leiweke said, "so we have room to hang the others."

Although AEG has put its sports holdings up for sale and a new buyer might want a lean payroll, Leiweke has given General Manager Dean Lombardi the budget and the mandate to become the first team to repeat as Cup champion since the 1997 and 1998 Detroit Red Wings.

Their for-sale status hasn't undermined that, according to Leiweke, who was instrumental in pushing NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman to restart the negotiations that led to a tentative labor agreement on Sunday.

"The theme we created two weeks ago when we started talking about if we come back is, 'The journey continues,' " said Leiweke, who intends to remain in charge of the Kings under the next owner.

Last edited by a moderator:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Not long ago I would have cringed at the news that Tim Leiweke intended to remain in charge under the new ownership, but I have to give him credit. He gave the Kings a new direction by hiring Lombardi and stuck to the plan.

SLang

Nov 29, 2005
Huntington Beach, CA
I went into full 100% trust mode when I witnessed, in person, Dustin Brown raising the Stanley Cup over his head. I'll remain that way until TL or AEG give me reason to change that. He sounded pretty damn sincere at the presser yesterday about doing what needed to be done to bring another Cup to LA.

Actions, you know? Winning the Cup is a pretty strong action.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Question for the business experts here: What exactly is the role of a team president? Some teams just have the owner period, the same person that does interviews and makes public appearances. With the Kings, it's Leiweke that does those, but he's not the one writing the check. Is he just an employee getting paid by the owner to act like the owner?

I do hope AEG stays as the owners. It's gonna be great having Leiweke and Stan Kasten running the Kings and the Dodgers respectively.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Question for the business experts here: What exactly is the role of a team president? Some teams just have the owner period, the same person that does interviews and makes public appearances. With the Kings, it's Leiweke that does those, but he's not the one writing the check. Is he just an employee getting paid by the owner to act like the owner?

I do hope AEG stays as the owners. It's gonna be great having Leiweke and Stan Kasten running the Kings and the Dodgers respectively.

Tim is responsible for running the money side of AEG. He does it so the owner doesn't have too. It makes the owners life much more enjoyable, cause he can depend on Tim to run things.

Last edited:

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I went into full 100% trust mode when I witnessed, in person, Dustin Brown raising the Stanley Cup over his head. I'll remain that way until TL or AEG give me reason to change that. He sounded pretty damn sincere at the presser yesterday about doing what needed to be done to bring another Cup to LA.

:handclap:

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I think everyone trusts AEG now... I did back around the time we traded for Mike Richards. When we were allowed to spend and actually proved it by doing it, that is when I was content. Though there haven't been many reasons not to trust them since Dean took over the team.

Of course, this point is entirely moot now, as they will no longer be our owners soon enough...

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I think everyone trusts AEG now... I did back around the time we traded for Mike Richards. When we were allowed to spend and actually proved it by doing it, that is when I was content. Though there haven't been many reasons not to trust them since Dean took over the team.

Of course, this point is entirely moot now, as they will no longer be our owners soon enough...

I'm curious how many think that AEG will actually be sold any time soon, if ever. I mean, just because they have put this company on the market for sale doesn't mean anyone is interested in buying. How many suitors could actually afford this monster?

Just because Anshutz wants to sell doesn't mean anyone's buying.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I'm curious how many think that AEG will actually be sold any time soon, if ever. I mean, just because they have put this company on the market for sale doesn't mean anyone is interested in buying. How many suitors could actually afford this monster?

Yeah man. I hope they just give up on the sale once they realize no one can afford their company.

Telos

Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV

It wouldn't matter, they would break up the company if it became impossible to sell whole and they were intent on selling, regardless if they said they wouldn't. I throw "soon" into the category of 5 years and under also. It is not like I expect us to be owned by someone else by the end of the mini season or something of the like.

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
Yeah, I'd say Leiweke and AEG have a little goodwill built up at this point :laugh:

DaAnimal

May 8, 2009
Pasadena
It wouldn't matter, they would break up the company if it became impossible to sell whole and they were intent on selling, regardless if they said they wouldn't. I throw "soon" into the category of 5 years and under also. It is not like I expect us to be owned by someone else by the end of the mini season or something of the like.

I think there was a recent article stating that the Anshutz family wanting to sell the entire operation as 1 package, not breaking everything into pieces.

I believe the company is currently seeking for new ownership but they are definitely not in a hurry. The Anshutz family is known to flip businesses so I'm no expert but I'm guessing AEG is valued at $700 million - $1 billion. Could be higher if they land an NFL team.

Tim's job is to overlook the entire AEG operation. Not just the LA Kings but he's got the Galaxy, European teams, music, and real estate. Pretty sure he reports directly to Mr. Anshutz so he can focus on his other business ventures. (I believe he's also the owner or part owner of Regal Entertainment) The guy is valued at $8 Billion USD :amazed::amazed::amazed:

Anyhow Tim's done a great job so far but I don't think he deserves all the credit for the Kings. I think DL deserves most of the credits for the King's operation. Mr. Leiweke just ok's the money :P

Telos

Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I think there was a recent article stating that the Anshutz family wanting to sell the entire operation as 1 package, not breaking everything into pieces.

I believe the company is currently seeking for new ownership but they are definitely not in a hurry. The Anshutz family is known to flip businesses so I'm no expert but I'm guessing AEG is valued at $700 million - $1 billion. Could be higher if they land an NFL team.

Tim's job is to overlook the entire AEG operation. Not just the LA Kings but he's got the Galaxy, European teams, music, and real estate. Pretty sure he reports directly to Mr. Anshutz so he can focus on his other business ventures. (I believe he's also the owner or part owner of Regal Entertainment) The guy is valued at $8 Billion USD :amazed::amazed::amazed:

Anyhow Tim's done a great job so far but I don't think he deserves all the credit for the Kings. I think DL deserves most of the credits for the King's operation. Mr. Leiweke just ok's the money :P

Correct, but what I was saying was that if they were unable to find a buyer for it as a whole, they would absolutely break it up. Such words hold very little weight in the world of business.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

This.

MAYBE it's time to trust them? What more do they have to prove to us besides winning the cup? They gave us what we wanted, they earned that trust, regardless of the bumps along the way.

CityofKings

Jul 2, 2011
Los Angeles
There are no shortage of suitors for AEG. I believe as many as 9 parties are interested. And those concerned about the ownership change, the article states that Leiweke would remain the Kings' president.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad