Management Maybe Cam and Don were right after all.....

Would the Bruins have started the season 6-1 if Cassidy was still coach?

• Yes

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • No

Votes: 83 89.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
What's interesting is with enough years pushing 2015 into the rear view, stuff like Lindholm and Linus really become more obvious wins. It's amazing at a pro level they're starting to really figure it out. The issue is obviously drafting. Right now it's looking like they average 1 real NHL player per draft. Hard to build a dynasty like that.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
As I believed a few years into Bruce's time at Boston the guy has a ceiling. Obviously a very good coach, but he has flaws that really rub me the wrong way. No way the Bs would have started 6-1 under Cassidy. The whole vibe of the team is different under Monty. Not sure Krejci would have returned had Bruce stayed. Who knows what kind of lines the Bs would have under Bruce right now.

Getting rid of Bruce was an obvious move as long as they replaced him with a dynamic coach who could get more out of the roster. Monty was the guy I wanted, but didn't think he would get the job. I have followed him since watching him in his AHL playing days up through his coaching career, and very much like and believe in him.

The Bs front office deserves a boatload of credit for making the best hire. They took a chance on a guy with some baggage rather than hire one of the usual "respected" rumdums on the NHL coaching carousel. The guy they hired seems to have strengths in many of the areas that the Bs need.

As others have said, the ultimate measure will be how the Bs look in the playoffs. If healthy entering the playoffs, the Bs have a good enough roster to make a deep run. Hopefully the coaches are able to push the right buttons and make the right decisions.

I agree with all of this.

I was afraid they'd go with the safe, bland and ultimately unsatisfactory candidate, but they hired Montgomery. The more I read about him and his style of play, the more he was my choice.

Prior to camp, I was thinking that with the injuries, the very real possibility that neither Patrice or DK#46 would return, and a very unfriendly schedule in November, the Bruins *might* make the playoffs. Short of a miracle, one & done.

It's very early, as many have noted. They are only seven games in, and it's an 82 game grind, never mind the playoffs.

Yet, it's encouraging that the players are evidently buying into Montgomery's system & "philosophy," with attendant but curable growing pains; they appear to be "pulling on the same rope" and actually seem to be having fun; the injured are ahead of schedule in returning to the lineup, including Brad; and, importantly, *up to this point*, the team has handled adversity per holes in their roster very well.

All of this and more is encouraging. As they approach the quarter mark of the season, and especially into February, March, etc., I will be watching closely for consistency and solid team defense.

"Strap yourselves in, kids. It's going to be a bumpy ride." At times, I suspect that ride will resemble a rollercoaster. Hope it remains exciting, interesting, and entertaining.

Last edited:

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
There seems to be some discrepancies with some of the numbers posted. What I posted the other day had the Bruins coming in 3rd/5th in height/weight for opening night rosters. Another website ( the one you posted ) has the same measurements for the Bruins but other teams were different. I think maybe those are current rosters and changes have been made since opening night while the Bruins were without Grz/Marchand, which would bring the averages down a little bit. Bruins were also just outside the top 10 in youngest teams in the league as well ( 11th ).

I do think the misconception by some here that they're small team isn't correct. The Bruins added some size with Greer and Zacha while not getting smaller ( Lauko/Krejci and Haula/Lazar are a near wash ). I don't think the Bruins get pushed around any more/less than other playoff teams out there. I think that's mostly due to some looking at them with an overly critical eye because we as Bruins fans generally prefer rougher teams. I do think there's some genuine concern over the fragility of some of the players but that has nothing to do with size/weight/pushback. As always luck ( puck luck, luck with staying healthy ) plays a much larger role in a playoff run than we all feel comfortable admitting.
Yeah I think they’re… average size. Which isn’t a bad thing at all.

I think Zacha was an important addition from a size perspective and I’d love to see Greer get more of a permanent spot. Bottom six plays quite physical.

But we’re not bullies. It’s not the 2011 team. Average size. That’s alright.

Reactions: Ladyfan

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I LOVE the "after the whistle stuff"!

I LOVE physical, surly, intimidating hockey.

This style of play is fundamental to the Bruins DNA. It lapses from time to time, as it did under late period Sinden and Milquetoast Mike O'Connell, but it always resurfaces.

That's why, God help me, I'm a Bruins lifer.

"Fancy doesn't make it in Boston. They want tough."

-- Derek Sanderson

"If you bust your ass and you play hard, people here will take you into their hearts.

"In Boston, people like dirt on the uniform, no matter the sport."

-- Richard Johnson, Curator, Boston Sports Museum

Pick up at 50:43 (better yet, watch the whole thing! It's great!)

"You keep playing like you're playing and this town will elect you mayor!"

- Mike Milbury to a rookie Milan Lucic

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Don Sweeney is smiling tonight with teeth shinning.... Lindholm looks like a steal trade/signing. He is not perfect. But real steady with underrated offensive skills. Boy the big guy can skate to boot

Bottom signings like Foligno and Nosek played like meatloaf last season. Under Monty, look like a difficult 4th line to play against.

Cam and Don do deserve credit for this incredible start.... hopefully it can continue

Reactions: Ladyfan

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Don takes a lot of flack but we gotta give him props for finding suberb coaches set up our D and goaltending for years. I give donny a pat on the back. Under donny watch the following lysell McAvoy carlo debrusk ullmark swayman lindholm Coyle Federic. Not to mention his magic hat in getting fair contracts done. He brought us a win away from cup and countless playoff games. Were 10 and 2 and rolling right now. Gm of the year 2019 to boot.

Reactions: bruinshoper

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Don takes a lot of flack but we gotta give him props for finding suberb coaches set up our D and goaltending for years. I give donny a pat on the back. Under donny watch the following lysell McAvoy carlo debrusk ullmark swayman lindholm Coyle Federic. Not to mention his magic hat in getting fair contracts done. He brought us a win away from cup and countless playoff games. Were 10 and 2 and rolling right now. Gm of the year 2019 to boot.
Don’t forget Mitch

Reactions: HustleB

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Yep, but needs to sign Pasta ASAP

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011
I’m sure there’s a Don Sweeney appreciation thread somewhere, but I can’t seem to find it using the search filter.

I know the guy (& company) threw a turd in the punch bowl, but ignoring that….

The Guy has built a TEAM folks.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I’m sure there’s a Don Sweeney appreciation thread somewhere, but I can’t seem to find it using the search filter.

I know the guy (& company) threw a turd in the punch bowl, but ignoring that….

The Guy has built a TEAM folks.

Reactions: StonedZboril

Babajingo

Yep, but needs to sign Pasta ASAP
Sweeney has been riding Pasta, Bergeron, Krecji, Chara, Rask, Marchand's coattails for years. He was only saved this year because 1C and 2C decided to come back.
Ill give him credit for Lindholm and Ullmark.
McAvoy was a layup with the basket at kids height.
I'll eat crow on Forbert and a little bit on Foligno.

Pasta will be the true test.
Looking at capfriendly, they have 27 mill next year, with 8ish roster spots to fill.
Will be an interesting trade deadline and off season.

• Haha
Reactions: StonedZboril

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Sweeney has been riding Pasta, Bergeron, Krecji, Chara, Rask, Marchand's coattails for years. He was only saved this year because 1C and 2C decided to come back.
Ill give him credit for Lindholm and Ullmark.
McAvoy was a layup with the basket at kids height.
I'll eat crow on Forbert and a little bit on Foligno.

Pasta will be the true test.
Looking at capfriendly, they have 27 mill next year, with 8ish roster spots to fill.
Will be an interesting trade deadline and off season.

Most people here wanted Fabbro over McAvoy, so hardly a layup.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
1670197094126.jpeg

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
However, I will not get duped by regular season play. There are specific matchups i'm waiting on to see during the season to see if this team will fair any better than they have over the last 3-4 years in the playoffs. I'll beat this dead horse all season long, we're too small for playoff hockey and not skilled enough to compensate for the lack of size. We're skilled enough to get into the playoffs, so i'm not too concerned about record or standings.

My fear is we'll still get pushed around, manhandled in our own end, and not be able to keep up with playoff tempo. So there are some games on our schedule that i'm more anxious about than others. But I think they'll give us a glimpse as to what to

The regular season doesn't equate to playoff success, ask Toronto + Florida. I'm worried of the bruins weaknesses from watching the games and there are a handful of teams that will test those weaknesses more than the rest.

First, I have no idea how you define elite. Is it making the playoffs? Is it winning one round?

There were quite a few 5-1, 6-1, 7-1 stretches last season where the bruins played entertaining hockey but it doesn't change the fact that the bruins were not skilled enough to make up for their weaknesses in last season's playoffs. They couldn't deal with Carolina's forecheck, they couldn't clear in front of their net, and they lost a lot of 50/50 battles along the boards.

So, tell me, what have you seen in the last 7 games that changes the above assessment. What have you seen in the last 7 games that tell you they're going to make it farther than they did last season.

And yes... I watched and saw what the bruins biggest weaknesses were last playoffs. And yes, there are a handful of teams (who will play the bruins multiple times) who will expose the bruins weaknesses, regardless of the final score.

I'm happy to see the Bruins do well, I just don't put as much stock into those wins as you do.

You don't watch hockey that way? That's great for you.
You treat each individual game and/or season as individual events? Congrats, that must be nice.

I don't. I don't ignore what I saw because I WANT them to be better. I don't ignore that the team that lost to Carolina is essentially the same team we have now. While the younger guys have one more year experience, the older guys have one more year of wear/tear on them.

We'll see if a new coach can have a bigger impact on playing to our strengths and fixing our weaknesses. I have my doubts because a coach can't teach size and strength, but maybe he can hide them better.

I'm happy to have DK back, tell me how that fixes the weaknesses I've shared, same for Zacha.

I've acknowledged we have a new coach, and we'll see if he can mitigate our weaknesses. 7 games doesn't tell me that, you're confident already. That's enough for you, not for me.

Some are happy to just make the playoffs...

I'm stating a fact, the bruins weren't good enough to win the cup last year. They didn't do enough to address our gaps. I'm concerned that we'll run into the same issue as last year, and the year before, and the year before that (well at least we won the presidents cup lol)

If stating that means I'm making it out to be that we got swept or whatever then so be it. You except participation trophies, I want to go all the way.

Precisely.

I'd like to add, David Krejci is a welcomed sight but lets not forget he was here in 2020 for that pres trophy 2nd round Bounce. This team is not that much better (or at all) than 2020. Same problems that caused that disappointing exit still exists today and there's a good chance they're worse.

But man, you mention the bruins have weaknesses and the peeps that are just happy to get to the playoffs come for blood lol

Yut.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Dude, did you just bump an old thread for an 'I told you so'? I mean, kudos and all, you were on the money, but come on...

I will say this though. The previous couple of years I'd been much closer to your position - pretty skeptical as to their playoff chances despite them contending reasonably well in the regular season. When they got bundled out it came as no surprise. This year I decided to just embrace the ride and be more optimistic, and I think there was fair cause for that. But...same result. Arguably worse. So that little experiment in my fandom didn't really work. Back to being warily pessimistic? IDK, probably!

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
No need to resurrect every old thread for the purposes of cashing in receipts and taking victory laps.

Feel free to move the “I told you so”s to the post game thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad