News Article: Maybe Arizona should trade Taylor Hall?

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

I don't know if this article deserves dignifying with its' own thread, but I figured the "news article" tag exists to be used.

The clown, uh, I mean author of this piece gives the following lame reasons we should trade Hall.

1. 6-5 with Hall. So what, our offense LOOKS better IMO, but we did get shut out the last 2 games, so maybe I need glasses. The author does mention we've also been without Kuemper during Hall's AZ tenure, it could be that we are letting in too many goals?

2. Hall is unlikely to sign in AZ.
....Reasons given:
.....a. Team hasn’t spent to the cap (in the past) to be as competitive as possible. Sometimes we have, and we have a new owner with deeper pockets now, so that argument is bunk.
.....b. Isn’t poised to be a powerhouse in the near future. How do you become a powerhouse without signing good players? You could draft #1 every year (never-mind...see Edmonton)
.....c. Plays in a market that isn’t considered to be one of the more desirable locations. Don’t know if he means living in the valley sucks (it doesn’t), or we aren’t a hockey market (neither is/was LA, Vegas, San Jose, Tampa, Nashville, etc)
…..d. The best, best, best thing you can do for your franchise is to acquire high draft picks or prospects. We tried that. You can’t build a Cup winner through the draft alone.

The final argument is that if this is not a “win the Cup” year then we should trade our most valuable player for picks and prospects. I don’t think we have a chance at the Cup this year, but to build a winning franchise you need to start somewhere (make the playoffs, win a round, etc.), and you also need to demonstrate to your fans and other FAs that you are serious about winning. Signing Hall would send a huge signal to all stakeholders and potential signings that AZ is here to win.

Bourne Thoughts: Why Arizona should consider trading Taylor...

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Chayka made the bet with Hall, that he will help us reach the playoffs, and maybe help us win a round if we get there. Nothing has changed in 11 games. Unless we lose every game up to the TDL and are completely out of the playoff picture, Hall won't be traded. Weather he signs with us or not is a question to be answered after the season, it has zero effect on us keeping him or not.

Reactions: Jakey53

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
I usually love reading Bourne's pieces, but this is unequivocally the worst piece of garbage he's ever written. To be fair he does talk in the first paragraph about how this is coming from the "hot takes" line of thinking, but still, it's soooooooooo awful.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I usually love reading Bourne's pieces, but this is unequivocally the worst piece of garbage he's ever written. To be fair he does talk in the first paragraph about how this is coming from the "hot takes" line of thinking, but still, it's soooooooooo awful.
“Hot takes” doesn’t excuse stupid.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If the Coyotes lose more than they win between now and the deadline, they should absolutely explore it.
I would also include after having an adult conversation with Hall about a contract. If he usnt willing to sign and thus season isnt progressing well I certain explore the offers. And that would be for pretty much every older player on the roster not named Keumper.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
It should depend on the value offered. The team surely wants to make amends for the many poor seasons now, but if the offers are good, they should be considered. Is he really a good fit? What kind of player would be a good fit, honestly? Is it possible to make some tweaks to make him a better fit? Buying a rental just to get the 2nd round can be understandable with how the last many years ended, but a new owner shouldn't be so impatient he isn't willing to listen to a good offer.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I read the article. Bourne is just stirring the pot. Not the first time he has done that IIRC.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I would also include after having an adult conversation with Hall about a contract. If he usnt willing to sign and thus season isnt progressing well I certain explore the offers. And that would be for pretty much every older player on the roster not named Keumper.
Agent has said he’s open to an extension with AZ.

source is Craig Morgan and Natural Hat Trick podcast.

We have another thread going where we are debating how many of our current roster players are worth continuing to build around. When it comes to Hall it’s a quick conversation. If he’s open to signing at a dollar figure and term we like then you do so. Build around good players. hall is a great one.

Reactions: Jakey53 and MIG

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Agent has said he’s open to an extension with AZ.

source is Craig Morgan and Natural Hat Trick podcast.

We have another thread going where we are debating how many of our current roster players are worth continuing to build around. When it comes to Hall it’s a quick conversation. If he’s open to signing at a dollar figure and term we like then you do so. Build around good players. hall is a great one.
I agree and I have that conversation before he gets to be free. If he's open he signs a deal in Feb. If I doesn't Chayka should evaluate the team and offers and make the correct choice for the future.

Reactions: Jakey53

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I agree and I have that conversation before he gets to be free. If he's open he signs a deal in Feb. If I doesn't Chayka should evaluate the team and offers and make the correct choice for the future.
I have no issue with the June timeframe. Make sure he is comfortable living the rest of his life in AZ. Trust me as I’m heading outdoors to shovel my driveway for the third time in last 8 hours that it is a desired location.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I have no issue with the June timeframe. Make sure he is comfortable living the rest of his life in AZ. Trust me as I’m heading outdoors to shovel my driveway for the third time in last 8 hours that it is a desired location.
I live where you live, weather is not the top of most nhl players lists of where to sign.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I live where you live, weather is not the top of most nhl players lists of where to sign.
No especially if you listen to Taylor Hall who has talked openly about teams that win are those that build from goal and blue line out. He’s very much interested in how the roster is constructed and what the long-term vision is. Listen to his interview with Spitten Chicklets. It’s not just $/term with him.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017

I lived in AZ for 6 years and moved back to Central NY. To be honest I prefer CNY. Trust me, Hall isn't worried about shoveling his driveway. Hire a guy to plow your driveway, works great for me.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If I'm Chayka, and we are out of the playoffs, I want a yes or a no from Hall. Teams that are in may have wanted Hall and still want him. I get as many assets I can. With a new owner, Phoenix will be a desired location.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If I'm Chayka, and we are out of the playoffs, I want a yes or a no from Hall. Teams that are in may have wanted Hall and still want him. I get as many assets I can. With a new owner, Phoenix will be a desired location.
If we are well out of the playoffs you can expedite that conversation. Problem is the trade deadline is less than 6 weeks away.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
No especially if you listen to Taylor Hall who has talked openly about teams that win are those that build from goal and blue line out. He’s very much interested in how the roster is constructed and what the long-term vision is. Listen to his interview with Spitten Chicklets. It’s not just $/term with him.
I know we all get caught up in moments but if you were a free agent right now do you really look at the Coyote's D and think they are one of the best in the NHL? I really don't, I think we play good team D but the players themselves are not as good as the team. And I didn't say dollars as he can get that anywhere, i just always disagree that everyone seems to think AZ weather is what everyone wants. If Hall thinks AZ is the place then getting a deal done in the next month should be easy, if not it's a just talk.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I know we all get caught up in moments but if you were a free agent right now do you really look at the Coyote's D and think they are one of the best in the NHL? I really don't, I think we play good team D but the players themselves are not as good as the team. And I didn't say dollars as he can get that anywhere, i just always disagree that everyone seems to think AZ weather is what everyone wants. If Hall thinks AZ is the place then getting a deal done in the next month should be easy, if not it's a just talk.
With Hjarlmarsson back and the evolution of Chychrun into a top pairing D? Absolutely. Our issue is our bottom pairing guys. Those are easier to find/change/develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad