• Poll closed .

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Ok.... NOW I'll be upset if you guys mess this one up

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'll say Mazur for now, but Wallinder could leapfrog everyone on this list by end of next season.

Add Buium + Buchelnikov for next round, please

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I'm super scared about Mazur's weight, I think it's going to be a major problem, hold him back, not allow him to play his game at the NHL level, and he's going to wind up being a poor man's Austin Czarnik.

Just kidding.

Mazur.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Mazur is a dog. Voted for him. I can hear the arguments for the higher upside of Wallinder or Augustine though.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Mazur is a dog. Voted for him. I can hear the arguments for the higher upside of Wallinder or Augustine though.
Wallinder's size and skating are great. They give him an excellent base as a prospect, and he consequently has a respectable floor. His transition game is to be respected.

Beyond that? No noteworthy offense to speak of, doesn't play physical, and is not a shut-down type defenseman. He doesn't really have an identity, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's difficult to see this kid as more than 3rd-pairing. Which I'm not knocking.... I would be excited if he and someone like Gibson turned out to be an elite :)sarcasm:) bottom-pair one day.

If anything, I love the depth in defense prospects that Wallinder helps provide, but I just don't see him on the level of Mazur, or even Augustine.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Wallinder's size and skating are great. They give him an excellent base as a prospect, and he consequently has a respectable floor. His transition game is to be respected.

Beyond that? No noteworthy offense to speak of, doesn't play physical, and is not a shut-down type defenseman. He doesn't really have an identity, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's difficult to see this kid as more than 3rd-pairing. Which I'm not knocking.... I would be excited if he and someone like Gibson turned out to be an elite :)sarcasm:) bottom-pair one day.

If anything, I love the depth in defense prospects that Wallinder helps provide, but I just don't see him on the level of Mazur, or even Augustine.
Wallinder put up a good amount of points in the SHL and I think he has some skill to his game. I think he will put up some points in GR next year with Edvinsson graduated.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Wallinder put up a good amount of points in the SHL and I think he has some skill to his game. I think he will put up some points in GR next year with Edvinsson graduated.
It'll be a good opportunity. Growing that part of his game would be great. The couple times I watched him this year I didn't see much in the way of flashes, but admittedly it can sometimes be hard to tell if that's because the skill isn't there, or if he is more just following the instructions of his coaches.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Voted Wallinder.

But not impressed with the remaining players.

We'll see what happens, but with how many second and third round picks they've had, you'd expect some better results... Which at this point is only subjective though.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Voted Wallinder.

But not impressed with the remaining players.

We'll see what happens, but with how many second and third round picks they've had, you'd expect some better results... Which at this point is only subjective though.
You're not impressed by Augustine? He's done nearly everything you can do as an 18 year old this season. His play this season has helped give MSU re-recognition as a top NCAA program. SV% .915 with 23 wins as a freshman. WJC gold medal winning starting goaltender. Now he's playing with the Men's WHC team in Czechia.

Mazur accomplished a ton in the NCAA and has been growing steadily in the AHL this year after injury early on.

Al Johansson is ready for NHL duty after two great AHL years.

Wallinder needs another year but he's been what you've expected of him. Defense take longer especially when they're raw like him.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Voted Albert Johansson, but it was close between him and Augustine.

Johansson's proved he can defend at an elite level in the AHL. He should undoubtedly be in the NHL next season. He's been GR's calming presence on the ice and brings some grit to his game. I think he could be a legit 4D pretty soon.

To chime in about Wallinder, I think we need to keep being patient with him. The potential is there no doubt, like he has good size and skating. He's kind of struggled, especially in the playoffs, with pace and getting the puck out.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023

Johansson's proved he can defend at an elite level in the AHL. He should undoubtedly be in the NHL next season. He's been GR's calming presence on the ice and brings some grit to his game. I think he could be a legit 4D pretty soon.

To chime in about Wallinder, I think we need to keep being patient with him. The potential is there no doubt, like he has good size and skating. He's kind of struggled, especially in the playoffs, with pace and getting the puck out.

Yeah I've been very impressed with Johansson this year. I know he's not huge, but he's brought some offense this year and has been steady as a rock for GR. I'm not sure yet he's top 4 material, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Augustine would be #1 prospect in some pools. We are spoiled.

Admittedly I have no idea how to judge goalies. So I'm probably overlooking him, and also still sad over how great he was in the WJC final against my Sweden.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

AlJo will be on the roster somewhere because he has to go through waivers. Whether it's the WIngs' roster or SJS, we'll find out next fall. I think that depends highly on if Stevie signs a free agent D to replace Ghost.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

I'm cooling on Wallinder because of his lack of intensity. Whenever I watched Grand Rapids I came away far more impressed by Johansson than Willy Wally. My big fear is that he'd become Kindl 2.0 and I think there's a good chance that can happen now.

Reactions: jaster

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Voted for Augustine, I think he will have the biggest impact to the wings of this group over his career. (Goalie bias, but he got game and has succeeded everywhere he goes so far)

Hope he sees some WC action and does well.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Augustine would be #1 prospect in some pools. We are spoiled.

Like which team?

Trey had a solid season with 0.915 SV% as a college freshman in the Big 10, but every team has at least one realgud prospect:

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'm super scared about Mazur's weight, I think it's going to be a major problem, hold him back, not allow him to play his game at the NHL level, and he's going to wind up being a poor man's Austin Czarnik.

Just kidding.

Mazur.
Not gonna lie. They had us in the first half.

Like which team?

Trey had a solid season with 0.915 SV% as a college freshman in the Big 10, but every team has at least one realgud prospect:

Maybe Tampa? Augustine vs Isaac Howard feels neutral to me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad