Votes: 22 22.2%
  • RD - Anton Johansson

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Carter Mazur wins the 5th round. ~57.0% of votes.

#1 LD - Simon Edvinsson 85.5% (6th overall, 1st round, 2021 draft)
#2 C - Marco Kasper 87.6% (8th overall, 1st round, 2022 draft)
#3 G - Sebastian Cossa 45,5% (15th overall, 1st round 2021 draft)
#4 LD - William Wallinder 42,6% (32nd overall, 2nd round 2020 draft)
#4 RW - Carter Mazur 57.0% (70th overall, 3rd round 2021 draft)

Anton Johansson is the add for this round.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
U24 update:

Berggren 22y -- Kasper 19y -- Raymond 21y
XXX ------ Rasmussen 24y --- Mazur 21y
Veleno 23y ------- XXX ------ Zadina 23y
XXX - XXX - XXX

Edvinsson 20y -- Seider 22y
Wallinder 20y -- XXX
XXX --- XXX

Cossa 20y
XXX

These are graduated and already voted guys.

Using U25 does not make any difference and U23 excludes only Rasmussen.

Let's see how the "lineup" will progress. I'll add guys after every voting round.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Albert Johansson

Closest to becoming a full timer of the guys left. And with Grand Rapids having a new coach I'm hopeful that AlJo will rediscover his puck rushing and offensive abilities.
Closer than Soderblom??

I chose Soderblom because when he was playing, something was happening while he was on the ice. Making those quick stickhandling moves to change direction and getting a shot off at his size is unheard of unless your Tage Thompson I presume.

Also, chose Soderblom over AlJo because Soderblom has played and played well before he got injured at the NHL level. Haven't seen AlJo against NHL players. AlJo is my next pick though.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Closer than Soderblom??

I chose Soderblom because when he was playing, something was happening while he was on the ice. Making those quick stickhandling moves to change direction and getting a shot off at his size is unheard of unless your Tage Thompson I presume.

Also, chose Soderblom over AlJo because Soderblom has played and played well before he got injured at the NHL level. Haven't seen AlJo against NHL players. AlJo is my next pick though.

Soderblom's skating, off-puck and defensive play still leaves something to be desired. I think Soderblom could become a guy that scores a lot of goals in the NHL but is still a bit of a project. The hands of a 30 goalscorer but there is a lot more he can work on to be more involved in the play, and his skating is still a weakpoint in his game.
If I'm looking for NHL comparables, I look at some older hulking forward types. Freddy Modin, Eric Daze and Glen Murray.

Albert Johansson is an absolutely phenomenal skater. His stickhandling and shot are also top notch. He was even showing some decent physicality in his last SHL season. Not as much in the AHL, which was disappointing. In my estimation AlJo's biggest weaknesses are his size (he is SKINNY) and his passing reads in the neutral zone. In his own zone and in the offensive zone with the puck he's pretty good. But he'll sometimes try to beat trap teams all by himself which you just can't do on smaller North American ice.
My comparison for him right now is Sam Girard but more physical. He could develop into a poor man's Kronwall, or maybe just as good as Kronwall was.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
AlJo
Amadeus
Soderblom

And I wouldn’t be shocked to see Soderblom continue to be caught by younger or less heralded prospects. I’m very tepid on Soderblom’s long term outlook.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Albert Johansson

Closest to becoming a full timer of the guys left. And with Grand Rapids having a new coach I'm hopeful that AlJo will rediscover his puck rushing and offensive abilities.
If he didn't get injured he played last season couple of games for Red Wings.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Add Buium?
That's what I'm screaming my Iggy Pop quoting brother..."The Passenger" reference was amazing in a previous post. Anyway, I wasn't paying attention and didn't notice Boomer wasn't on the list. I strongly second that add.

I went AlJo this round. I was tempted to pick him last round, and, to be fair, I may not have because I've followed Mazur a lot more. If he hits he could make a realgud mid pairing dude.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Johansson had a pretty underwhelming year in the AHL (especially given his hype on this board) and Elmer showed some flashes at the NHL level.

Couldn’t tell you why Johansson is getting votes over Elmer.

Cross Hanas was making more of an impact in Grand Rapids than Johansson was until he got hurt. And he won’t get any votes in these polls, already know that.

Reactions: ricky0034

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Cross Hanas was making more of an impact in Grand Rapids than Johansson was until he got hurt. And he won’t get any votes in these polls, already know that.
That’s because Cross Hanas is already an excellent minor league hockey player. Which he’ll remain. For many years. Because he can’t skate.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Soderblom's skating, off-puck and defensive play still leaves something to be desired. I think Soderblom could become a guy that scores a lot of goals in the NHL but is still a bit of a project. The hands of a 30 goalscorer but there is a lot more he can work on to be more involved in the play, and his skating is still a weakpoint in his game.
If I'm looking for NHL comparables, I look at some older hulking forward types. Freddy Modin, Eric Daze and Glen Murray.

Albert Johansson is an absolutely phenomenal skater. His stickhandling and shot are also top notch. He was even showing some decent physicality in his last SHL season. Not as much in the AHL, which was disappointing. In my estimation AlJo's biggest weaknesses are his size (he is SKINNY) and his passing reads in the neutral zone. In his own zone and in the offensive zone with the puck he's pretty good. But he'll sometimes try to beat trap teams all by himself which you just can't do on smaller North American ice.
My comparison for him right now is Sam Girard but more physical. He could develop into a poor man's Kronwall, or maybe just as good as Kronwall was.
I didn't see the deficit in his skating as being anything more than a 6'8 gangly giant who needs to fill out and get used to his body. He's actually shown he can move quite well, impressively so for someone his size. I remember seeing lots of clips of him skating circles around others and stickhandling in tight when he played in Sweden. Remember Rasmussen was slipping and sliding and getting knocked over easily his first year or two in the league. But he's found his legs and now there are no concerns there. I'm confident Soderblom will be just fine once he grows into his body.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That’s because Cross Hanas is already an excellent minor league hockey player. Which he’ll remain. For many years. Because he can’t skate.
Was pretty impactful in the AHL for a 20/21 year old who “can’t skate”. Not that easy to do. He’s 6’1 and has some skill. We will see.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Went with Elmer on this one.

From the few games Hanas played this season, his hockey sense and skill stood out. Hopefully, he has a good summer and comes back a lot stronger. He's a competitive kid, too. I'm excited to see what he can do next season.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I didn't see the deficit in his skating as being anything more than a 6'8 gangly giant who needs to fill out and get used to his body. He's actually shown he can move quite well, impressively so for someone his size. I remember seeing lots of clips of him skating circles around others and stickhandling in tight when he played in Sweden. Remember Rasmussen was slipping and sliding and getting knocked over easily his first year or two in the league. But he's found his legs and now there are no concerns there. I'm confident Soderblom will be just fine once he grows into his body.

I think Soderblom I’d further along in his skating than Ras at the same age, but it’s still not great. If he can improve it I’d swap my vote.

Reactions: raymond23

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
Are we just assuming Mastrosimone is no longer a DRW prospect? His season was every bit as good as Mazur, although he's a year older.

Reactions: lilidk

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

I don't see it either. Since we've drafted him there have been people in here criticizing his skating. I don't get it. He moves really really well for a 6'8 gangly giant like you said.

Reactions: The Zermanator

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Johansson had a pretty underwhelming year in the AHL (especially given his hype on this board) and Elmer showed some flashes at the NHL level.

Couldn’t tell you why Johansson is getting votes over Elmer.

There was a lot of praise for Johansson coming out of GR this year, I'm not sure I would call his season underwhelming at all. Maybe production wise, but thats not really his calling card anyways. I would say his season was pretty much what was expected for right around this ranking but not really gonna argue against Soderblom either. Soderbloms offense in GR should make you wonder if Johanssons could be higher toot hough. In his time with Detroit he was as productive as he was in GR. Weird how he didnt produce more when he went down.

Hanas actually turned himself into a prety solid prospect this year, and was also more impactful than Soderblom as well down there. I dont think Hanas should be voted in here quite yet, but I dont think we're far off of voting for him at this point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad