1052_gallery_image.jpg

https://youtu.be/eAtcpgqrmL8

it's been way too long ......

Last edited:

F L Y E R S

Orange & Black
Aug 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Man oh man, how amazing it would be to witness a Flyers parade on Broad st. I still remember how much fun Halloween Day, back in 08' was with the Phillies. Perfect sunny day. Flyers are my favorite sports team, so it would be soooooo much sweeter.

As great as the BSB era was, I didn't witness it. I wasn't even born until 1987. We need a cup for this generation of fans.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Man I remember watching it, with my mom,dad,brother. I was like four turning 5 on May 30th. In hexy and hakstol we trust. When we do win, I'll book holidays and go for the parade, and if I'm no longer with my current company, I would be working for myself and just go.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Home whites are stupid.

Home colors, home arena. The way it should be.

Wanting home whites is just old people being nostalgic.

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
Home whites and away darks was just for black and white TV. Now it isn't so important... unless you miss the nostalgia.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Man I remember watching it, with my mom,dad,brother. I was like four turning 5 on May 30th. In hexy and hakstol we trust. When we do win, I'll book holidays and go for the parade, and if I'm no longer with my current company, I would be working for myself and just go.

You must have the same birthday as me if you turned 5 on May 30th.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
it's just like when people say "man the 1980/1993 Phillies were better than the 2008 Phillies!" and "man if the Flyers had bernie parent in net!"... if the Flyers had Bernie Parent in net, we'd have 18 goals scored against us every night.

Home whites are arbitrary in my opinion. It really makes no sense if you think about it. Every team has a white jersey, and they should not be the subject of aesthetic conformity in their own arenas. Most people just want them because they feel that the way things were when they were poppin' was the best possible way to do things.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Watson's observation hits home the most with me considering how many arguments I had over the years as a Flyers fan (since 1985) about how we didn't place enough emphasis on the goaltending position post Pelle...even when we had Ron who in the playoffs after 1987 and his injuries just couldn't cut it any longer. Shades of Claude Lemieux ....

Cup alumni stunned that Flyers haven't won another

"My God, you look back, and 40 years went just like that," said Bernie Parent, the Hall of Fame goalie who steered the Flyers to titles in 1974 and 1975. "I tell people don't waste time because it flies by, for sure."

"It's hard to comprehend sometimes," said Joe Watson, a key defenseman on the Cup teams who now sells advertising for the Wells Fargo Center and runs the Flyers' alumni team, which has raised $3.6 million for local charities since it was formed in 1984. "There were times where I think we didn't realize how important goaltending was. I think we thought no matter who the goalie was, we'd outscore them. We didn't value the goalie as much as we should have."

"Our era was different," Kelly said. "We didn't play for the money. We played for each other. No one cared what kind of car you had or how many houses you had. That's because of the great internal leadership we had from guys like Clarkie and Joe Watson and Barry Ashbee."

Kindrachuk said it's "kind of shocking" the Flyers are still searching for Cup No. 3 "because I know Mr. Snider and how he'll do whatever it takes to win," he said, referring to Ed Snider, chairman of the Flyers' parent company, Comcast-Spectacor. "Money has never been an object.

"They've been on the doorstep so many times, but . . ."

Since beating Buffalo in 1975, the Flyers have lost six straight Finals, falling in 1976, 1980, 1985, 1987, 1997, and 2010.

"It's tougher today because of the salary cap," Kelly said. "Nowadays, you almost have to win instantly because players move around [through free agency] and there's so much parity."

"We've been to the Finals so many times and played so good and so hard and didn't quite get it done," said Clarke, the Flyers' senior vice president. "It [angers me] that teams try to lose continually to come up with the Crosbys . . . and Malkins" in the draft.

Clarke, of course, was talking about Pittsburgh stars Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.

"The Flyers have never intentionally tried to lose. That would put a foul taste in my mouth," Clarke said. "Who wants to be a part of any organization like that? I wouldn't want to be."

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...ever_won_another_Cup.html#5fYu2q2Yo01bOkY0.99

Mylec 22

Jun 2, 2010
I was 3. Don't remember that year, but the next year I remember our family and everyone else in the neighborhood celebrating in a parking lot near where Korvette's used to be in the Northeast.

PAZUZU

Jan 25, 2012
Philly 'burbs
I was only 3 months old, but my mom says she had me out in the baby carriage that nite at five points celebrating, so I guess I can say I was there, haha.

I'm not sure what they could have done differently in net, other than maybe Cujo instead of Beezer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad