Player Discussion Maxime Comtois (UFA)

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
Hypothetical here, if Hoffman’s contract magically vanished today, would anyone be willing to take a flyer on Comtois? Seems like a similar reclamation project like Dach and Newhook. Unless there’s something I’m missing, I’m surprised no one’s picked him up yet. Perhaps he’s been confirmed to be one of the players involved in the 2018 world junior controversy?

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Even being unconfirmed as one of the players is probably enough to have teams back off him for the moment. Assuming he doesn't have the stink of that incident all over him when the NHL's report is released, yea, sign him up. Worst case scenario he's depth in Laval.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
That 2018 scandal plus a clear decline in his game, he's regressed instead of progressing. ANA was a gongshow but still. I'd taken him over Lemieux and some other names if I were a team but scandal must be hanging over his head even if @Vachon23 has vouched for his innocence

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
I wouldnt mind taking a chance on him , i think it's a low rirks high reward situation , but Comtois said it himself in the media a few days ago that he didnt have any contact with us . As far as i'm concern i would gladly take a chance on him , as a UFA or a PTO, but Hugo will have to make the first step .

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No team is going to offer full time NHL job. All offers will be AHL/NHL and you show up to camp to try to earn a spot.

Worth a shot IMO. As long as he understands how much competition he has to earn a spot and is OK with AHL if not.

Reactions: angusyoung

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Offseason where people think they're original in making a thread about a player that's already been discussed to death, resuscitated and murdered again.

Until he's proven clear, he can't come anywhere near this team and no one will want him until then.

/endthread.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
pass.. scandal needs to be cleared up 1st
I'm not really sure what people are expecting with this but.. he will *never* be *cleared*.
He's 1 of the 8 guys, it's not "well we're not 100% sure if he was one of the-" no. No, he IS one, and all 8 should be red flagged for their careers.

I see no universe where Hughes even looks in his direction, ever, the entire thing is a complete non starter.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I'm not really sure what people are expecting with this but.. he will *never* be *cleared*.
He's 1 of the 8 guys, it's not "well we're not 100% sure if he was one of the-" no. No, he IS one, and all 8 should be red flagged for their careers.

I see no universe where Hughes even looks in his direction, ever, the entire thing is a complete non starter.
It's pretty clear he's one of the 8 because many of the players on that team are still playing and he suddenly finds himself not qualified with no teams knocking on his door similar to Alex Forementon.
Similarly, Gadjovich is expected to go to the AHL. Cal Foote is in the same boat as the others where he's an UFA at 24 years old despite being a former first round pick and playing in the league the past few years. Steenberger also moved to Europe from the AHL the year after the news came out. Even assuming these five are five of the eight, that still leaves three of Kyrou, Makar, Steele, Batherson, Howden, Katchouk, Thomas, Dube, Raddysh, Timmins, McLeod, Mete, Bean, Clague or Fabro; who all have deals for next year.

We know at the very least Mete and I think Makar weren't even at the event where it happened. I'm too lazy to do it now but I'm sure something like Kyrou and Thomas starting last year pointless for the first 20 games or whatever after the summer of gossip about the event is pretty suspicious.

This is all speculation though but I would concrete say Foote, Formenton and Comtois are involved.

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
Hypothetical here, if Hoffman’s contract magically vanished today, would anyone be willing to take a flyer on Comtois? Seems like a similar reclamation project like Dach and Newhook. Unless there’s something I’m missing, I’m surprised no one’s picked him up yet. Perhaps he’s been confirmed to be one of the players involved in the 2018 world junior controversy?
I thought it could be the case but he did a couple of radio interviews where he was really confident about his game and getting a contract. So I believe he would've laid low if he was on the list. Not any proof of anything, but that's what I felt listening to him.

Reactions: Pietrangelo

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If Im honest, id scrap most of that 2018 WJC team. Its likely all of them knew of the incident. Im sure they all have a snapchat group "2018 WJC 🏆 🏆 😎😎😎🤯🤯🍅🍅" or whatever. They probably all saw vids of the girl on the very night.

And yeah thats probably Nick too.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
It's pretty clear he's one of the 8 because many of the players on that team are still playing and he suddenly finds himself not qualified with no teams knocking on his door similar to Alex Forementon.
Similarly, Gadjovich is expected to go to the AHL. Cal Foote is in the same boat as the others where he's an UFA at 24 years old despite being a former first round pick and playing in the league the past few years. Steenberger also moved to Europe from the AHL the year after the news came out. Even assuming these five are five of the eight, that still leaves three of Kyrou, Makar, Steele, Batherson, Howden, Katchouk, Thomas, Dube, Raddysh, Timmins, McLeod, Mete, Bean, Clague or Fabro; who all have deals for next year.

We know at the very least Mete and I think Makar weren't even at the event where it happened. I'm too lazy to do it now but I'm sure something like Kyrou and Thomas starting last year pointless for the first 20 games or whatever after the summer of gossip about the event is pretty suspicious.

This is all speculation though but I would concrete say Foote, Formenton and Comtois are involved.

A lack of performance is not a sign of guilt by default. It could also be a player who has regrets about not stopping it. What you are doing is more than speculation...

I think the Mailloux situation (not cleared by the NHL yet) makes me 100% sure we are not going to go anywhere near a situation like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
If Im honest, id scrap most of that 2018 WJC team. Its likely all of them knew of the incident. Im sure they all have a snapchat group "2018 WJC 🏆 🏆 😎😎😎🤯🤯🍅🍅" or whatever. They probably all saw vids of the girl on the very night.

And yeah thats probably Nick too.

It's much more likely that a group of players who've known each other for a long time did this together (likely from the OHL or WHL, given the makeup of these WJC teams). Comtois, one of the rare players from Quebec, would not have been part of such a clique. But they know who the players are.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's much more likely that a group of players who've known each other for a long time did this together (likely from the OHL or WHL, given the makeup of these WJC teams). Comtois, one of the rare players from Quebec, would not have been part of such a clique. But they know who the players are.
Thats speculation at best and not much good comes from it. In this matter, ill think of the victims first.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Wasn't he the captain of that WJC team?

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I'm of the opinion that it's never a bad idea to bring in talented young players for free.

He has to be cleared from the charges, though. Mailloux's case was unsavoury, but it was mostly ideological rather than criminal. As far as I understand, this one is different. We don't need a scandal on our hands.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

No it isn't clear. The players that are playing are playing because they still have time left on their contract. Players that are UFA like Formenton and Comtois won't get another contrct until they come out with their findings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad