Prospect Info: Maxim Strbak, RD, Sioux Falls (USHL) - Selection 45OA, 2023

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Ends on a bit of a downer with a giveaway leading to a late FIN goal and gets walked for for OT winner (with a nondescript primary assist for the tying goal sandwiched in)

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

Great video. Seems like MSU has a proactive support structure.

I wonder if all that moving to foreign countries really made their family tight nit. It would explain why he did well in the USHL with a billet he got on well with. He was likely used to having a smaller social circle.

Also, 3:50 I hope he's not changing which side he drives on lol

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

10. Maxim Strbak, RHD, 18 (Michigan State University)
A steadying defender, Strbak’s game is all about killing plays, blocking shots, winning battles, efficiency and effectiveness. He has been relied upon across age groups with Slovakia’s national team and made the move to North American ice in Sioux Falls last year, working his way into big all-situations minutes in the USHL before joining the Michigan State Spartans this season (where he has averaged about 18 minutes a night on a good team to positive defensive results). Strbak’s a pro-built, stocky and physically strong defender who can play hard minutes. His game doesn’t have a ton of soft skill and his skating can look a little heavy at times, but he compensates with hard work, staunch and sturdy posture, timely pinches and effective closeouts to rub players off the puck. And while he is really strong in physical engagements, he’s also good with his stick on the puck so he doesn’t have to always rely on his physical advantage to defend. He has also shown some offense internationally, in his ability to push down ice and join in transition, and also a willingness to activate off of the line and get hard shots on target. I’ve seen him really impose his defensive will and competitiveness in all four corners of the rink in games. His style occasionally comes with some mistakes trying to step up and make a stop, but he’s a rock-solid defender on the whole. The Sabres are likely hoping he can be the kind of player who balances out a more natural offensive defenseman on a pairing (I do think we’ll see more offense out of him as an upperclassman in college though, too).

Andiamo

Apr 24, 2020
Strbak assessed a major for checking from behind in the Spartans - Badgers weekend series that will determine the Big Twn championship.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Whitelaw made a nice play to Mehlenbacher by giving himself up to a bonecrushing hit from Strbak.

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
Cernak has been my go-to comparison for Strbak. They're both righties, Slovak, and both play a similar high-intensity, physical, defense-first type of game. Cernak is a bit bigger, but I don't see why Strbak can't play a similar game and I think his skating might actually be better.

Watched a bit of Strbak in the tournament and he was playing very heavy minutes, sometimes entire PK's (including what looked like almost the entirety of a 4m PK), and looked very reliable and poised every shift in his own end, a very punishing player to play against if you're trying to stand in front of the net or go to the corners. Fierce competitor too, is known for elevating his game internationally and when it matters.

I think Strbak could find another gear to his game offensively too, his performance at the World Juniors (7 pts in 5 games, a large improvement over the 2023 WJC too) is a good flash of what he can do with more responsibility and offensive deployment. He's been stuck behind Levshunov at Michigan, but if Levshunov leaves or Strbak gets more offensive assignments, I think his passing and transition play could be strong enough to earn him more points. Think he can be a legitimate 2nd pair RHD at the NHL level with the proper development, probably producing around 20pts but being primarily the defensive anchor/conscience for an offensive-minded partner like Power for example.

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
After watching him more a bit this year I was very impressed with his positioning and gap control. Also has a good breakout pass. Guy just understands how to get the puck out of his own zone. MSU leaned heavily on Levshunov, but Strbak was steady all year.

Reactions: Daz28 and Chainshot

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Screenshot_20240413_205248_Instagram.jpg

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The development of a defensive dman won't be pretty with points, but this kid once developed is going to be EXACTLY what Buffalo needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ehran and Zman5778

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad