Celebrity Death: Max Von Sydow

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
What a loss. It seemed like he was in every other movie when I was growing up. My earliest familiarity with him is likely from Dune.

Probably his two most recognizable roles to Western/modern audiences:

the-exorcist-lg.jpg

5e6636f5aad2a.jpg

Last edited:

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
I recently watched The Emigrants (1971), based on the novel-series with the same name about the Swedish emigration to the United States (Minnesota in this case). Max von Sydow plays one of the main characters and I would recommend watching it if you have Swedish roots or if you're just interested in general.

The Emigrants (1971) - IMDb

There's also a sequel, The New Land (1972).

Nybyggarna (1972) - IMDb

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Favorite MVS roles:
1) Greatest Story Ever Told.
2) The Exorcist
3) Hannah And Her Sisters

My Best-Carey

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
This just popped into my head: Earlier this year I watched a fairly minor 70s sci-fi flick called The Ultimate Warrior. Nothing special. I recommend it only if you're really into such things and even then it's probably ok at best. BUT the saving grace of it is that it's two leads are Max Von Sydow and Yul Brenner. Replace them and the movie is probably unwatchable, Von Sydow in particular. It's a fairly nothing part and it probably allowed him to buy a new car or something, but he takes it completely seriously and its that gravitas that gives the movie its most redeeming quality.

I saw a Tweet Monday from the writer Mark Harris (who's great and you should follow if you're on the platform and into movies). I'd embed it, but I suck at those things so I'll just summarize.

He said you could hold three different full and fulfilling film festivals built around Von Sydow:
1. Bergman Von Sydow
2. Paycheck Von Sydow
3. Miscellaneous Von Sydow

I don't know how many actors your could say that about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad