Prospect Info: Max Gildon (2017, #66 overall), Univ. of New Hampshire (NCAA), signed ELC 3/26/2020

CaptainScrewy

Apr 9, 2003
Hollywood , Florida
Visit site
High-risk pick, good chance he busts but if he puts it all together can be a very good top 4 or even top pairing d-man. I like taking pics like this (especially in the 3rd round), d players are so hard to project to the NHL.

I like taking them a little later and hoping they develop how you want them too.

Really like our draft so far.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
High-risk pick, good chance he busts but if he puts it all together can be a very good top 4 or even top pairing d-man. I like taking pics like this (especially in the 3rd round), d players are so hard to project to the NHL.

I like taking them a little later and hoping they develop how you want them too.

Really like our draft so far.

Judging the conversion of 3rd round picks into regular NHLers, I'm not sure there's such a thing as a "high risk" third round pick.

Bure1022*

2015 2016 2017 all these drafts are worthless To the on ice product for this up coming season.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
2015 2016 2017 all these drafts are worthless To the on ice product for this up coming season.

Oh good, a new poster who's going to mindlessly bash the team every day. Don't worry, welcome aboard, you'll fit in well here.

Actually in 2015 we drafted Malgin in the 4th round who made the team last year and will have a role this year. In 2016, we drafted Mamin in the 6th and he has a realistic shot of being an impact bottom 6 player for us this year. 2017 is known as being a weaker draft. It's rare for players to jump in and make an impact their first year regardless. Owen Tippett will get his chance at training camp to compete for a roster spot.

Other guys from 2015-2016 like Borgstrom, Mascherin, Montembeault have a lot of promise to be good players down the road, and we're better off letting them develop right now than playing immediately. That's how it goes in this league.

Last edited:

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I have not seen him play but what I read of him reminds me of Kulikov. Big guy skates well with a hard slapper, but with questionable decision making with the pucks from time to time. That is pretty much Kulikov the first 2 seasons he played here. He is obviously not as polished or good at the moment otherwise he would have been picked in the first, but it is a nice pick.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I have not seen him play but what I read of him reminds me of Kulikov. Big guy skates well with a hard slapper, but with questionable decision making with the pucks from time to time. That is pretty much Kulikov the first 2 seasons he played here. He is obviously not as polished or good at the moment otherwise he would have been picked in the first, but it is a nice pick.

It sounds like his game is a little more steady than Kulikov s. Kuli was always a little erratic.

Jakeybonz2

Feb 19, 2017
well it looks like our 3rd rounder is also a gem just like our 2nd rounder. gildon had a freakin hat trick in the ncaa as a freshman d-man which is pretty much unheard of. he has 6 goals and 8 points in 7 games and is looking crazy good. this draft could end up being our best in terms of # of players that become nhlers. heponiemi still obliterating the whl too. now if tippet could just not shoot from literally anywhere thesecond he gets the puck....

Reactions: RainingRats

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
well it looks like our 3rd rounder is also a gem just like our 2nd rounder. gildon had a freakin hat trick in the ncaa as a freshman d-man which is pretty much unheard of. he has 6 goals and 8 points in 7 games and is looking crazy good. this draft could end up being our best in terms of # of players that become nhlers. heponiemi still obliterating the whl too. now if tippet could just not shoot from literally anywhere thesecond he gets the puck....

Nice to hear. I heard in early rankings he was projected to be a sure fire 1st rounder, but then dropped for whatever reason. Seems like the ability is definitely there, hopefully will end up being a steal.

Jakeybonz2

Feb 19, 2017
Nice to hear. I heard in early rankings he was projected to be a sure fire 1st rounder, but then dropped for whatever reason. Seems like the ability is definitely there, hopefully will end up being a steal.
if he keeps this pace through mid season he might be the best d-man in the draft. woulnt that be sick. as it stands though I think heponiemi is our #1 prospect. I like borgy but the #s hepo is putting up every night seem to me like he is a candidate to lead the entire chl in scoring as an 18 yr old. I picture him finishing with around 140-150 pts in 65 games give or take. that's future nhl all star #s without a doubt. he needs to get a lot bigger though. like 30 lbs at least which may affect his speed. it'll be interesting to see what happens with him. I already write mascherin off. he wont make the team. borgstrom, gildon, hepo will all be on the panthers in 2 yrs.

Jakeybonz2

Feb 19, 2017

Sample size is the enemy here but very promising so far.
I believe gildon, hepo, and borg will all be great players and I know this because by the time all three r on the team, it will be quebecs great pleasure to watch them. I know this because its the first time ever that the panthers are guaranteed to have drafted at least one or 2 star players in later rounds which is what all winning teams have and from what I know of this world winners stay winners and losers r losers forever. we just wont ever win or even be good for that matter and since having these guys will make us good, we just can't. wouldn't it be poetic though if in our final year we were first seed and lose in the first round of the playoffs and the next year get moved to quebec and win the cup the first year? it'd be exactly what happened to them 21 yrs ago.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I believe gildon, hepo, and borg will all be great players and I know this because by the time all three r on the team, it will be quebecs great pleasure to watch them. I know this because its the first time ever that the panthers are guaranteed to have drafted at least one or 2 star players in later rounds which is what all winning teams have and from what I know of this world winners stay winners and losers r losers forever. we just wont ever win or even be good for that matter and since having these guys will make us good, we just can't. wouldn't it be poetic though if in our final year we were first seed and lose in the first round of the playoffs and the next year get moved to quebec and win the cup the first year? it'd be exactly what happened to them 21 yrs ago.

Just wait for the rest of us over on the Nordiques message board in the mean time.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
Caught up with Gildon the other day. Here's the article: https://www.nhl.com/panthers/news/panthers-d-prospect-max-gildon-lighting-up-ncaa/c-292472266 ....

Fun fact: Gildon and Brett Pesce of the Hurricanes both attended UNH and both were the 66th overall pick in their respective drafts.

Also huge quote here from Gildon from his coach, Dick Umile, who is one of the NCAA's all-time great coaches.

"Gildon is scoring on the rush like a forward," Umile said. "He can really go with the puck. He's pretty talented with his stick, so he can play defense (but) he has to get used to this level and how quickly the play can turn around. He's a very talented player. As an offensive defenseman, he's probably as good as you can get."

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad