Mattias Timander

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Do any of you guys remember him?

What can you tell me about his stint with this club? Did he play any good? What was his style? Was he physical?

Just asking out of curiosity.

5f8fcddd72341c4f48589f160cb132ac.jpg

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
That's a name I haven't heard in a very long time.

I hardly remember his play, only that he played for us long, long ago.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I remember him being very physical. It was a long time ago though, so can't be sure.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
I don't remember him being especially physical or fast or offensive. I think he was often paired with Jamie Pushor. They were both top 4 for the team for the first 2 seasons along with Odelein.

Is this you Mattias?

Reactions: CBJSTH

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
He challenged the CBJ all time, single season record for +/- in 01-02 with a -34.

What an odd thread..

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I don't remember him being especially physical or fast or offensive. I think he was often paired with Jamie Pushor. They were both top 4 for the team for the first 2 seasons along with Odelein.

Is this you Mattias?

Jamie Pusher was 6 year old CBJW's favorite player. Then Geoff Sanderson. Then Zherdev. Then Brassard.

Not that any of this matters, but I don't remember Timander. So.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Jamie Pusher was 6 year old CBJW's favorite player. Then Geoff Sanderson. Then Zherdev. Then Brassard.

I like bread. Not Bread bread. Just bread. I mean I like Bread too. But mainly I like bread.

I too don’t really remember Timander. But I’m sure he was nice.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
He was just....there. Took up a roster spot, a guy we were forced to pick in the expansion draft to fill out the team. Nothing he did had any memorable effect on me.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
All I remember about him is that I had an inside joke with my dad about Timander...

"Timander don't stand there!"

...probably not a good thing lol

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I remember him very distinctly. He was that very unique combination of slowness afoot without having any physical component to his game. My nickname for him was "Timidander". His other nickname was "The Human Pylon". He was absolutely terrible. Opposing skaters went right by them. While he was big, he was so slow that he missed his attempts to check opponents into the wall. His minus-34 was well earned. Without much doubt he was probably the worst dmen in our history and that is saying something. He was the personification of a no talent expansion team defense man.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

I really enjoyed saying "Doobie" Wescott so he was a favorite of mine back then. Also loved me some Svitov. And I remember David Ling breaking a dude's eye socket at a game I went to with my dad. And Ron Tugnutt was pretty fun to say too!

Reactions: Cowumbus

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Wow a thread about Mattias Timander. Here's something for you to argue about until the prospect polls start up.

Big defender, not fleet afoot and lacking physicality. I seem to recall we were sold him as a jack of all trades type defender, an all-around type who didn't have a great strength but no real weaknesses. Turns out the no real weaknesses was just there's nothing he's worse at than any other thing. I don't remember him being as horrible as some others suggest, but that could just be absence making the heart grow fonder. That said, didn't he play for a bit with the Isle after he left here or am I mixing him up with someone else?

I hope he's having a good life.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
His other nickname was "The Human Pylon". He was absolutely terrible. Opposing skaters went right by them.

Wow, this was even before Scott LaChance. I don't remember him very much but on an unrelated note, I once recall Scott LaChance getting a breakaway and I could have gone to the bathroom and came back by the time it was over. If he was that slow then wow.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
As someone else already noted - what an odd thread topic. Why are we being asked about someone as random as Mattias Timander when he (likely) had more tenure with other teams?

One Original Blue Jacket who hasn't been brought up yet is Jamie Heward - I recall him having an excellent slapshot and being a popular guest guitar player in the Nashville honky tonks.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Heward did have a big, heavy shot. I liked him. Timidander, not so much.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
I really enjoyed saying "Doobie" Wescott so he was a favorite of mine back then. Also loved me some Svitov. And I remember David Ling breaking a dude's eye socket at a game I went to with my dad. And Ron Tugnutt was pretty fun to say too!

GMDM once said that they weren't winning because Duvie was out of the lineup. Man Doug was good at coming up with odd excuses.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
As someone else already noted - what an odd thread topic. Why are we being asked about someone as random as Mattias Timander when he (likely) had more tenure with other teams?

One Original Blue Jacket who hasn't been brought up yet is Jamie Heward - I recall him having an excellent slapshot and being a popular guest guitar player in the Nashville honky tonks.

How about Bruce Gardiner?

It occurred to me that the dman I couldn't think of was Klesla, who Davidge called the next Chris Pronger. I think it was because they both wore 44.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Okay....I'll play.

As others have said, he was slow. I mean really sloooowww. I only remember Scott LaChance being called "The Human Pylon" on this board, but that title could have easily been held by Timander. Mittas Timander personified expansion hockey in Columbus. He was one of those guys I just felt was holding a place until our farm system developed somebody better. He was a 9th round selection of the Boston Bruins.

It amazes me that he actually played 414 NHL games (400 games = pension). 154 of those games were in Columbus. He probably was a decent guy in the locker room, most Swedes are....

Best wishes Mattias Timander wherever you are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad