Player Discussion Mattias Samuelsson, LHD (USNTDP), The Antidote, Distributing Cobra Strikes

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Just for what its worth, I've watched a lot of Samuelsson over the last two years. He was one of my favorite players in the 2018 draft. I think I probably had him ranked higher than anyone else. I had 9th in this draft.

His calling card is his ability to defend. He does it better than anyone in this draft, other than the guy you took 1OA. :laugh:

Samuelsson has been one of the best hockey players in his draft class for two years. He's probably the most NHL ready player in the draft outside of the top 2 picks. There are guys who will get tabbed with more potential, but Samuelsson has produced better than 99% of them for two years.

And I don't really see that changing. He's not going to be tabbed by the "experts" as having big potential, but he's not some pylon. He skates well and can move the puck out of his zone. Offensively bland, but not going to ruin shifts for the team. Defensively, he looks like a 10 year NHL veteran already. Rarely does he make defensive mistakes, always in the right position, blocks shots, really physical presence, hard to beat 1v1, smart player. Easy choice captain of a junior team that will probably end up having like 8-9 first round picks. He's pretty much the definition of an underrated player because he produces so well, but doesn't produce a style that will get attention. But this is an easy top 4 defensemen for 15 years, in my opinion. I have no clue how 31 players went ahead of him. It doesn't make much sense to me.
Sounds like Scandella ...

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I was paying more attention to him earlier in the season, but I like the combination of mobility, character, and smarts. He could be the Beukeboom to Dahlin portraying Leetch in one extrapolation: the takeout portion of a high-minute pairing. That's the dream anyway. He's certainly got the makings of a fine defensive D.

Nice sentimentality there. I think he could easily be Brooks Orpik. Physical with some nasty grit who can put up points in the right situation. We're looking at 20 point range. More than likely a better skater. Size, skating and ability to stand up for his teammates all the while being a good team leader in the room. I like the pick a lot. I like the edge of Wilde slightly more, but the questions of his character are there for sure.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I was paying more attention to him earlier in the season, but I like the combination of mobility, character, and smarts. He could be the Beukeboom to Dahlin portraying Leetch in one extrapolation: the takeout portion of a high-minute pairing. That's the dream anyway. He's certainly got the makings of a fine defensive D.

You had me at beukeboom...

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Given the fact that the Sabres had already drafted Dahlin, this is a great pick.

Having said that, is WMU the best place for him to develop his skills? I say that not because it's not a "big name" school. But, rather, because of the school's situation in its conference. I know Andy Murray was an NHL coach, and his resume overall is fairly impeccable. But - he coached NHL hockey during the dead-puck era. Has he evolved? Or is he going to coach Samuelsson to just hit guys and go off-the-glass-and-out?

The flip side of that would be, potentially, he looks at Samuelsson as his best defenseman (and, possibly, one of the best players on the team) and gives him some room to develop his offensive instincts during games, while still coaching him up on his defense. And, he can do this because WMU is not winning it's conference any time soon.

So, I am curious - does anyone have any insight into the style of play at WMU? I'm not trying to impugn Andy Murray's coaching - whatever his overall coaching strategy is, I'm sure, is best for his team. But, is it best for *the Buffalo Sabres prospect on his team?* I think it's a reasonable question to ask. To me, he coached NHL hockey for several years during the dead puck era, and he now coaches NCAA hockey for an underdog school that is unlikely to win recruiting battles and is unlikely to attract the top-end talent its competition gets every year. Has he evolved as a coach? Because that combination screams "OFF THE GLASS AND OUT!"...from a development perspective.

I'd be happy to learn that such an assumption is misguided and wrong. Does he have his D defending the blue line and trying to transition the puck quickly? I worry the head coach is going to think he doesn't have the horses to play such style, and rather needs to suffocate more skilled teams like Denver, Minnesota-Duluth and North Dakota.

I just don't want another Risto (big potential squashed- potential which may have been reached, or not, but we'll never know, because of incorrect coaching.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
His foundation was set at USNDTP. He is not going to be a huge offensive player. He will make a good offensive player better by giving him more rope. The Broncos play a physical style game and get a few good players here and there. I wouldn’t be worried. His next step is Rochester anyways and could be there next year.

Reactions: Dingo44

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Given the fact that the Sabres had already drafted Dahlin, this is a great pick.

Having said that, is WMU the best place for him to develop his skills? I say that not because it's not a "big name" school. But, rather, because of the school's situation in its conference. I know Andy Murray was an NHL coach, and his resume overall is fairly impeccable. But - he coached NHL hockey during the dead-puck era. Has he evolved? Or is he going to coach Samuelsson to just hit guys and go off-the-glass-and-out?

The flip side of that would be, potentially, he looks at Samuelsson as his best defenseman (and, possibly, one of the best players on the team) and gives him some room to develop his offensive instincts during games, while still coaching him up on his defense. And, he can do this because WMU is not winning it's conference any time soon.

So, I am curious - does anyone have any insight into the style of play at WMU? I'm not trying to impugn Andy Murray's coaching - whatever his overall coaching strategy is, I'm sure, is best for his team. But, is it best for *the Buffalo Sabres prospect on his team?* I think it's a reasonable question to ask. To me, he coached NHL hockey for several years during the dead puck era, and he now coaches NCAA hockey for an underdog school that is unlikely to win recruiting battles and is unlikely to attract the top-end talent its competition gets every year. Has he evolved as a coach? Because that combination screams "OFF THE GLASS AND OUT!"...from a development perspective.

I'd be happy to learn that such an assumption is misguided and wrong. Does he have his D defending the blue line and trying to transition the puck quickly? I worry the head coach is going to think he doesn't have the horses to play such style, and rather needs to suffocate more skilled teams like Denver, Minnesota-Duluth and North Dakota.

I just don't want another Risto (big potential squashed- potential which may have been reached, or not, but we'll never know, because of incorrect coaching.

oh dear if you're really this concerned about who's coaching our draft picks .......

and Ristolainen's issue isn't poor coaching, it's that the organization was so barren of talent that Risto was rushed into a 1D role, on a pathetic team no less, much too young.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
oh dear if you're really this concerned about who's coaching our draft picks .......

and Ristolainen's issue isn't poor coaching, it's that the organization was so barren of talent that Risto was rushed into a 1D role, on a pathetic team no less, much too young.

How do you explain his actual play in the defensive zone? His poor puck tracking, his inability to clear the crease until his guy had 2-3 whacks at the puck?

I am worried about who's coaching our draft picks, just like I was worried about Nolan/Bylsma coaching our Draft picks (Eichel, Reinhart) along with the rest of the coaching staff, and I'm a little worried about Dahlin being coached by Housley.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
His brother, Lukas, is also playing at WMU. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he also mentioned that one of the coaches there knows his father well.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
How do you explain his actual play in the defensive zone? His poor puck tracking, his inability to clear the crease until his guy had 2-3 whacks at the puck?

I am worried about who's coaching our draft picks, just like I was worried about Nolan/Bylsma coaching our Draft picks (Eichel, Reinhart) along with the rest of the coaching staff, and I'm a little worried about Dahlin being coached by Housley.

Housley will be able to help the Risto lessons for Dahlin on how to duck a fight like a pro!!

Cheap shot in Chain’s honor.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

Samuelsson develops physical style for Sabres similar to father Kjell

BUFFALO -- Mattias Samuelsson had the perfect mentor growing up.

The defenseman, the second-round pick (No. 32) of the Buffalo Sabres in the 2018 NHL Draft, is the son of 14-year NHL veteran Kjell Samuelsson, who was part of the Pittsburgh Penguins Stanley Cup championship team in 1991-92 and works in player development for the Philadelphia Flyers. Kjell was known for being an imposing physical defenseman during his 813 career games. Mattias (6-foot-4, 217 pounds) already has picked up some of his father's style.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad