Player Discussion Mattias Samuelsson, LHD (USNTDP), The Antidote, Distributing Cobra Strikes

EmeraldCitySabre

Yeah, we've got uniforms and everything....
Apr 10, 2010
The Claw
One thing they said, was that when he steps on the ice the first thing he usually does is take a run at someone, gotta love that.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
He looks a little awkward and hunched skating but doesn't seem to affect his speed.

I'm happy to read all these good things about him but the whole "safe, definite NHLer, top 4 d-man for years to come" seems like something one person said, and now everyone's running with it without a whole lot to back it up.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Solid pick. You can always use guys like this in your pipeline. Seems like a bigger McCabe with a little more upside.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
What does everyone think his ceiling is? After reading about him, seems like he could be a Hjalmarsson-type d-man, which would look mighty nice next to either Rasmus.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Buffalo Sabres - @BuffaloSabres - New best friends. LaxSabre - Future Defense Pairing?
DgY3PgUUwAAFhsI.jpg:small

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Just checked the Western Michigan Broncos schedule for 2018-2019 season.
They are playing Niagara University Purple Eagles - Friday, November 30/Saturday, December 1. Unfortunately they are home games and not away games.
Almost a had a great chance in seeing him LIVE-in person as a member of the Broncos.

Friday, December 11/Saturday, December 12 and Friday, March 8/Saturday, March 9 -
Mattias and Western Michigan will play Matej Peker and Miami (Ohio) University Redhawks.
Peker was a 4th round Sabres draftee this season.

Would be cool if we can see all six of those games on TV here in the Western New York area.

Western Michigan 2018‑19 Schedule/Results

Last edited:

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I like the pick. Sounds big and tough to play against. Need more of those types sprinkled throughout.

EDIT: Not to mention a relatively safe bet to actually make the NHL.

Last edited:

Hasek

Jan 2, 2013
Imagine going up against him and Evil Risto. This is what dropping the soap in prison feels like.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016

Looks taller than 6’4?

Photography can be deceiving but damn he towers over Dahlin in this one.

When I read about possible maturity issues with Wilde I figured this guy might be our pick or it would be Berggren. I'd have preferred the speedy dynamic winger but this is a solid selection. Great pedigree with the NHL father and USNTDP.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Seems to be a popular opinion about him, that he's not far from being in the NHL. that's a bonus with a young dman.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I like the pick even if I was more excited about Berggeson or Thomas. However, if they wanted to build up to the blue line, this was the draft to do it as there were waves of depth. I'm fine with it, and even more so, we added further ripples of layers in the system.

Reactions: Mitts888

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
He seems to look like a future steady #3/4 type....exactly what I want from a second round pick.

We went from a horrible D to rolling out a potential D corps in 2021 of Dahlin, risto , Samuelsson, Guhle, Scandella and McCabe/Borgen/Nelson/Fitzgerald etc etc

I am definitely excited about our blue line

Reactions: BackGroundMusic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad