Player Discussion Mattias Samuelsson, LHD (USNTDP), The Antidote, Distributing Cobra Strikes

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
This is exactly the type of player we need. He only needs to become a steady second/third pairing guy for this to be a good pick. Kinda looks similar to how Tyler Myers plays now, if we could get that we are happy.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Been watching him for two years. Huge kid who plays a ton and doesn't make many mistakes. Good skater. Great pedigree, obviously (father is Kjell, not Ulf). There are a lot of great character players with the NTDP so the fact he was named captain for the U18 tournament says TONS. Super safe pick. Guy will be an NHL'er.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Well, love all the scouting reports I'm reading. As a goalie and my philosophy in general, my favorite player on the ice is the large, responsible, intelligent, stay-at-home defenseman. The game is won by how much bull**** goes on in your kitchen, and how much bull**** goes on in the other team's kitchen. If your kitchen is cleaner, you win most of the time. A guy who sits in the kitchen and just does the dishes as they come is my favorite guy in the world.

I've always felt the same way. Although these days, you have to add the caveat that he needs to have at least avg speed because that is the #1 killer of these type of players in today's game.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Meh. Projectable. Don't love his upside, but will probably play in the NHL. Seems to be a trend with them lately in the 2nd round. Safe, safe, safe.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I take the defensemen 9 times out of 10 at this position in the draft. I think "two way character" forwards get overrated at the top of the 2nd round and I'll gladly take the smart defensemen with lots of room for growth.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Meh. Projectable. Don't love his upside, but will probably play in the NHL. Seems to be a trend with them lately in the 2nd round. Safe, safe, safe.

Until the system is stacked with players we don’t have the luxury of taking risks. High floor guys is a good thing for a team as barren as us.

Reactions: debaser66

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
USA Hockey @usahockey - The first two Americans selected on Day 2 of the #NHLDraft ➡️-
Mattias Samuelsson & Bode Wilde.

DgYwurjUEAELcPe.jpg:small

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Skating is key for a big D, if he moved like Logan Stanley or Griffin Reinhart I would hate this pick. But based on video he moves really well and has some skill. I think he’s a better pro then guys like Sandin who went above him.

Techno Allah

Feb 20, 2008
Amherst NY
Meh, not very excited about this one. Would have rather taken a chance with Noel, Akil Thomas, Bergren, Olofsson. Don't see him contributing much for his first 8 years or so

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Vogl just tweeted a quote from Bode Wilde saying he felt Samuelson could be the ideal partner for Dahlin. Can't say I disagree. 2 big guys who play 2 way games their skating ability

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
If he plays like his dad, pair him with Ristolainen. Nobody will want to forecheck against that.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Sabres have a lot of "offensive" type Dmen with average or below average size on their roster. A big crease clearing, cycle stopping defence man who will take bigger defensive minutes, chosen captain to lead his team, is a good and needed choice. If that is what he projects-and most scouting services believe this-then I applaud the pick.

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
At first I wasn't sure about this pick because I didn't know a lot about him, but after reading a little bit, I'm stoked. He checks literally all the boxes. Size, smarts, physicality, skating, offensive talent and character. What's not to like?

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Does that mean they really wxpect Dahlin to play on the right? I mean the disbalance of higher endend left and righties in the organization is shocking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad